enhanced DBS check and working in a school

wondering if anyone can help with this?

I have an informal interview for a account management/sales role next week however it involves liaising with schools. Due to this the director has told me an enhanced DBS certificate will be required, if successful.

I haven't disclosed this yet as have not been asked officially and obviously will when the time comes but I have conviction for ABH from when I was 18. Which was over 14 years ago.

Now from what I have read on the relevant websites this offence will not be eligible for filtering, my question is will this stop me from getting the job or going into schools??
tackling credit card debt starting Feb 2020
HSBC £3400 £3251
Santander £4400 £4188
Fluid £650 £330

Emergency fund £580/£1000

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What was the sentence?

Whilst it might not filter; if it is spent - it helps.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It could do, depending on the employer and the circumstances.

Some employers (or rather their HR departments) don't want to take the chance and will say no regardless even if the manager is willing to give the person a go. Others will be more inclined to look at the specifics of what happened, and the amount of contact with children, before making a decision.
    Until you tell them you really have no way of knowing.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jagger86
    jagger86 Posts: 124
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    the sentence was community service, 100 hours I believe.

the job spec does say "a clear dbs"

I will obviously be declaring it but have yet to be asked officially. Just wondering if it is going to totally screw my chances up.

The conviction was over a stupid fight when I was 18. I have not been in trouble since and never really given it a second thought as it's never been a problem! Will be gutted if this is what stops me.

I never even thought a violent crime could stop you from ever working with children. So if I were to pursue a career as a teacher there would be no point? Not that I am going to but a few years after it happened I did start an access to HE course at college. It was never asked if I had this?
    HSBC £3400 £3251
    Santander £4400 £4188
    Fluid £650 £330

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jagger86 wrote: »
    the sentence was community service, 100 hours I believe.

the job spec does say "a clear dbs"

I will obviously be declaring it but have yet to be asked officially. Just wondering if it is going to totally screw my chances up.

The conviction was over a stupid fight when I was 18. I have not been in trouble since and never really given it a second thought as it's never been a problem! Will be gutted if this is what stops me.

I never even thought a violent crime could stop you from ever working with children. So if I were to pursue a career as a teacher there would be no point? Not that I am going to but a few years after it happened I did start an access to HE course at college. It was never asked if I had this?

So it was spent 1 year after you completed the 100 hours.

To be honest; given the low sentence and the time spent. Many employers would ignore something like this.

There is no blanket ban on convictions and working in / with schools. - BUT it's obviously looked into thoroughly
  • jagger86
    jagger86 Posts: 124
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    So it was spent 1 year after you completed the 100 hours.

To be honest; given the low sentence and the time spent. Many employers would ignore something like this.

There is no blanket ban on convictions and working in / with schools. - BUT it's obviously looked into thoroughly

Thank you. I am hoping it can be over looked. I have an informal interview/open evening then there will be official interviews. So need to cross that bridge when I get to it so to speak!

I really want this job so been putting a lot of positive thinking into it but must admit this has threw me today when I looked into an enhanced check.
    HSBC £3400 £3251
    Santander £4400 £4188
    Fluid £650 £330

• If you are indeed such a danger to children, why are you free to walk the streets?
  • If you want some advice, guidance on declaring it or just some general information than use the Nacro website.

You legally are only obliged to declare when asked, and if the question was to say “Do you have any unspent criminal convictions?” You obviously don’t now as it’s spent.

However it will come to light because of the enhanced DBS check so your doing the right thing by declaring at interview so it’s not a total shock when the DBS comes back.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2018 at 8:10PM
    If you are indeed such a danger to children, why are you free to walk the streets?

Well, not sure what your point is there?

For 100 hours OP wasn't "free to walk the streets" due to the community service.

Or do you mean now? If you mean now (over 14 years ago), a quick google search (how long is life imprisonment) comes up with "In England and Wales, the average life sentence prisoner serves around 15 years before being paroled". OP wouldn't get life for ABH (maybe for manslaughter etc) and, even if they did, they'd almost certainly be out by now.

Don't necessarily believe that OP poses a risk to children, but without the background story someone with an ABH conviction may get frustrated with a student and punch them (for example)
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have an informal interview for a account management/sales role next week however it involves liaising with schools. Due to this the director has told me an enhanced DBS certificate will be required, if successful.

I don't think you will be eligible for an enhanced DBS in the role you are describing. It does not sound you will be in regular contact with children or involved in regulated activity. Of course, it's impossible to challenge this at interview stage.

I think your best bet is to declare it, sooner rather than later. They have total freedom to decide if the 'risk' level is acceptable or not. The more honest you are the less likely it is to be a problem.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    If you want some advice, guidance on declaring it or just some general information than use the Nacro website.
    NACRO
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    You legally are only obliged to declare when asked, and if the question was to say “Do you have any unspent criminal convictions?” You obviously don’t now as it’s spent.

However it will come to light because of the enhanced DBS check so your doing the right thing by declaring at interview so it’s not a total shock when the DBS comes back.
    Actually, interview may NOT be the right time and place to do this: it may be better to ask to speak to whoever deals with DBS matters at the employer end entirely separately from the interview.

This is because DBS checks should be on a strictly 'need to know' basis. Your interviewers may not 'need to know'. it should never become common knowledge!
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    I don't think you will be eligible for an enhanced DBS in the role you are describing. It does not sound you will be in regular contact with children or involved in regulated activity. Of course, it's impossible to challenge this at interview stage.
    That's true, which is another benefit of querying it outside the interview process. If you're liaising with schools, I'd expect that to be with school staff. If you have to visit schools, it would be very poor form to leave you wandering around unchaperoned.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport