My refund has gone missing...

I bought a phone from an Internet phone seller. I paid the upfront amount using my debit card linked to my current account. I cancelled the new phone and sent it back. The phone company said they received the unopened phone and issued a refund.

They issued the refund by paying it back to the card I paid them on (ie the debit card linked to my current account).

However, the phone company says my refund should be in my account but it isn't. My bank are saying they havent received anything and nothing is pending.

The phone company are 'looking into it' - anyone got any ideas where it might have gone?
Januray 2015
CC - £2100 NOW £1222
CC - £1006 NOW £890
LOAN - £2100 NOW £0.00
OD £810 NOW £0.00

Comments

• Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,835
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 26 October 2018 at 10:20AM
    Firstly, you're in a great position. Keep all the details of the phone company accepting they have received your phone and issued a refund, you may need these should things go south. Secondly, withdrawals to banks aren't instant and depending on the method used, very commonly take 3-5 working days to receive, this is on top of however long it's taken them to process it - I'd wait for this window to pass just to make sure you definitely haven't received it and then call the phone company (record the call, you don't need to tell them) and ask why you have yet to receive a refund. If they are not able to provide a suitable answer, as you've paid using a debit card, you can chargeback the full amount through your bank. This does require that you've tried to resolve with the retailer first which is why we'll do it in this order, they may also require the evidence you've got as they'll likely see it as an attempt of fraud.

You will almost certainly get your money back, whilst the retailer is playing ball you should try and resolve it with them. It's also likely they have given you a refund but you just haven't received it yet.
    Know what you don't
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,413
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    My money would be on the phone company taking their time to issue the refund rather than it physically going astray somewhere - what do their Ts & Cs (or agents) say about how long it takes to process a refund?

If they're adamant that they've definitely put it through then push them for proof that you can take to your bank....

Is the "Internet phone seller" a genuine reputable outfit and have you searched for other customers experiencing similar issues?
  • Taucher
    Taucher Posts: 78
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Exodi - The refund was issued on the 17th October (last Wednesday) and the seller told me over the phone that it should have appeared in my account by now as it is well outside the maximum time limit for refund payments. Yes they said 3 - working days and today is 2 days over the 5 days...

But good advice, I will record the calls. Thanks!

eskbanker - yep the company is a massive one with quite a good reputation. Im not naming them because I am not clear theyve done anything wrong. But good idea about requesting proof - I will ask and they 'should' be able to provide that.
    Januray 2015
    CC - £2100 NOW £1222
    CC - £1006 NOW £890
    LOAN - £2100 NOW £0.00
    OD £810 NOW £0.00
  • Taucher
    Forumite
    Not that anyone's crying out for an update but I will give one anyway!

The company, mobiles.co.uk, today admitted that a refund has not been issued to me at all, despite 3 customer service staff telling me that it had! They have assured me that my deposit has been paid to me, and this time they really mean it. It will take 3-4 working days (which they first told me 3 weeks ago).

They made me feel like an annoyance. Wont be using them again.
    Januray 2015
    CC - £2100 NOW £1222
    CC - £1006 NOW £890
    LOAN - £2100 NOW £0.00
    OD £810 NOW £0.00
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Please pop back and update your update in 3-4 days. After all, who's to say if they really mean it, really really mean it, or just mean it?
  • Taucher
    Forumite
    robatwork wrote: »
    Please pop back and update your update in 3-4 days. After all, who's to say if they really mean it, really really mean it, or just mean it?

Apologies. I failed to do that! I must not have meant it.

In mobiles.co.uk news - this is the 5th day and I STILL HAVENT RECEIVED MY REFUND. Four different customer services staff over four weeks have told me they have sent me the refund and it will take 3-5 days. I have waited five days each time and nothing.

They've stolen my money! Im going to have to call again. Unless anyone can suggest a more effective course of action?
    Januray 2015
    CC - £2100 NOW £1222
    CC - £1006 NOW £890
    LOAN - £2100 NOW £0.00
    OD £810 NOW £0.00
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Taucher wrote: »
    Apologies. I failed to do that! I must not have meant it.

In mobiles.co.uk news - this is the 5th day and I STILL HAVENT RECEIVED MY REFUND. Four different customer services staff over four weeks have told me they have sent me the refund and it will take 3-5 days. I have waited five days each time and nothing.

They've stolen my money! Im going to have to call again. Unless anyone can suggest a more effective course of action?

I think you've been patient enough.

Either use the Resolver tool via MSE or email the CEO which I believe (from some quick Googling) is: Alexander.baldock@dixonscarphone.com
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Another vote for Resolver - I've had some success with that, and it's a very easy online step before you go down the letter before action route.

If you do that, and then a LBA, and end up in court, it won't be in mobiles.co.uk favour if they didn't respond to your attempt at mediation by using Resolver.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Pester your bank again about missing refunds and they should be able to assist.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,413
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    pinkdalek wrote: »
    Pester your bank again about missing refunds and they should be able to assist.
    Probably worth reading the thread again (especially post #5) to see why that would be neither appropriate nor productive.

Hint: it's nothing to do with the bank....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure