Odd problem with a new BT Smart hub?

Morning all,

Just installed a new BT hub, update from a version 3.

I used to be able to drag and drop files from my laptop to a drive connected to a WD Live. Never a problem.

Now when I try to open the WD under network (using Explorer) I get 'Windows cannot access \\WDTVLIVE'
Error code 0x80070035
The network path was not found.

The icon there's so I guess that part of the network path was found, but not enough to allow file transfer.
Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Its IP address has probly changed

You need to log on to your router and see what ip address has been assigned to the device
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,865
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Its IP address has probly changed

You need to log on to your router and see what ip address has been assigned to the device

Yeah, I thought maybe that. I've got the ip address assigned by the hub and entered that into explorer and that just open a webpage to the WD control panel, which works fine??? But I still can't drag and drop files to it!!
  • AndyPix
    Forumite
    You mean you are entering that ip address into INTERNET explorer ..

Dont do that.

in EXPLORER - go to [URL="file://\\ipaddress"]\\ipaddress[/URL] (thats backslash backslash)

Or map a drive to that location
  • Jon_01
    Forumite
    AndyPix wrote: »
    You mean you are entering that ip address into INTERNET explorer ..

Dont do that.

in EXPLORER - go to [URL="file://%5C%5Cipaddress"]\\ipaddress[/URL] (thats backslash backslash)

Or map a drive to that location

No, I mean explorer. Hit return and the explorer window remains and a browser window opens into the WD control panel!!! I don't get it either? There must be some kind of redirect going on as soon as explorer tries to open the IP on the WD?
    But it's never done this before and I've used Plusnet and Virgin BB in the past???
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Are you including the \\ part in Explorer? Example

\\192.168.1.25
  • Jon_01
    Forumite
    DoaM wrote: »
    Are you including the \\ part in Explorer? Example

\\192.168.1.25

Yes, tried that. I get the same error I get when clicking on the WD icon under network... (no network path)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Which suggests that the IP address has changed. Have you double-checked in the Hub the IP address that it has assigned for the drive?

If there's no network pacth then either the drive isn't responding, or the IP address isn't what you think it is.

Another thought ... do you need to add a rule in the Hub to allow particular data traffic/protocols/ports to the drive?
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Try to ping the IP address of the WD (it should be using a static IP to avoid such problems).
    If you can ping it, try to refresh the DNS cache: open a command prompt window and type the following command:

ipconfig /flushdns
  • AndyPix
    Forumite
    edited 11 October 2018 at 2:22PM
    ^^ How is flushing the dns cache going to make a difference :huh:
    He is not using dns - he is using direct ip address

Also - static IP address is sometimes no use when changing router as the router may be using different subnet. Which may be what has happened here. Not sure if different BT kit will vary subnet or not - but sky definitely do.
    Best practice is to create a reservation on the router its'self

OP find the CORRECT ip address , ensure you can ping it to test, and then click start, and do the double BACKslash followed by the ip address
  • Jon_01
    Forumite
    OK, still no luck...

I can ping the IP address.
    The IP address is static and fixed in the hub.

I flushed the IP as suggested (and rebooted the PC) and now I have no icon for the WD under computers or media devices. But I can still ping the IP and get a response.

\\ IP address gives the same error as clicking on the icons under network, No network path.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure