We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

sowing seeds

I have recently sown white (dutch) clover seeds on a small bare patch (3m2) in the front lawn. The bare patch came about as we cut down a box tree that had grown very big for many years and there was no grass underneath. It seems it has not been evenly divided despite me mixing it with soil first. Could I add some even mid September? Or is there no point and should I wait until next year now? Also I would just be sprinkling it on top as I can't mess up what's there already. I think there is no harm in trying apart from if it's pointless (seeds have to be above a certain temperature) if it wouldn't work.

Comments

• https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Wild_White_Clover_Seed/

To August, but that's only two weeks, so if you're in the South I'd go for it. If we have an Indian Summer then you'll be quids in. I think the worst that can happen is that that you'll have to weed and re-seed next year

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • wheelz
    wheelz Posts: 334
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I ordered some more, actually ordered the first batch from Victoriana. Hope it arrives before I go away next Thursday.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Rules are made to be broken. I sowed grass/clover mix in the field last November and took a hay crop from it in in July this year.
  • wheelz
    wheelz Posts: 334
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Rules are made to be broken. I sowed grass/clover mix in the field last November and took a hay crop from it in in July this year.

Great. Will it be alright if I sprinkle it? I'll have to.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    wheelz wrote: »
    Great. Will it be alright if I sprinkle it? I'll have to.
    I have one of those automatic spreaders, but I prefer sprinkling and did that just last week, because the bit of field I was overseeding needed to be patch-sown, rather than all over. I did scarify very lightly afterwards, but it's not essential.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure