What would you have done.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,581
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    JIL wrote: »
    I wasn't happy that it was taken from my bag, however how could I even prove that? It was theirs to begin with. How could I even say it was left in the first place? How could I even go to reception and say it was taken from my bag, I'm sure they would have said either it wasn't there in the first place or that they removed them from the room tray when they realised they had made an error. I am putting it down to an over zealous housekeeper.
    Shame about this one incident as everything else about our stay was first class.
    I can't see how you wouldn't have gone to Reception and said that someone had removed something from your bag.
    That's what I would have done.
    If 'The Management' (echoes of Hale & Pace :D) chose not to believe that Housekeeping had taken something from your bag, then you wouldn't have been any worse off than you are now.
    An over zealous housekeeper should never ever go into a guest's bag.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I can't see how you wouldn't have gone to Reception and said that someone had removed something from your bag.
    That's what I would have done.
    If 'The Management' (echoes of Hale & Pace :D) chose not to believe that Housekeeping had taken something from your bag, then you wouldn't have been any worse off than you are now.
    An over zealous housekeeper should never ever go into a guest's bag.

The bag was open on the floor and visibly had the wine in it. You can’t just nick stuff and then say as it is in your bag it cannot be touched anymore! If the OP has put the tv in the bag then nobody would have criticised the hotel for taking it back. There is no difference here!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,660
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    The bag was open on the floor and visibly had the wine in it. You can’t just nick stuff and then say as it is in your bag it cannot be touched anymore! If the OP has put the tv in the bag then nobody would have criticised the hotel for taking it back. There is no difference here!

I would not ever nick a tv, a hairdryer, an iron or even a towel, but the wine was fair game, it was left for me. I think there is a difference, the wine had been left, its a consumable. It comes under the same banner as biscuits, teabags, shower gel and not as part of the fixtures and fittings.

I didnt feel i could complain to the hotel, as i have said before what would i say. How could i prove someone had been in my bag. Just to clear something up, the wine and nibbles were not visible in my bag. It was unzipped but it was under some clothing. My bag would have needed to be looked through to find it.
    Thats the part that bothers me.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What would I have done?

I would have complained to the hotel that you had put your complimentary wine in your bag to drink later and that it was now gone.

It would have been interesting to have heard what they would have said.

No one should be going through your personal stuff for any reason without your permission.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would not ever nick a tv, a hairdryer, an iron or even a towel, but the wine was fair game, it was left for me. I think there is a difference, the wine had been left, its a consumable. It comes under the same banner as biscuits, teabags, shower gel and not as part of the fixtures and fittings.

Would you help yourself to stuff off a housekeepers trolley in the corridor based on it being a "consumable" .

Sounds like you are the type of guest that the first thing you do is scope the room out and decide what you can grab for "free"
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    I think you missed this bit.
    I really did not expect the wine to be replenished. But it was. It was most definitely complimentary.

To compare stealing a TV from a hotel room with taking a complimentary 1/4 bottle of wine is ridiculous.
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    I didnt feel i could complain to the hotel, as i have said before what would i say. How could i prove someone had been in my bag. Just to clear something up, the wine and nibbles were not visible in my bag. It was unzipped but it was under some clothing. My bag would have needed to be looked through to find it.
    Thats the part that bothers me.
    So someone actually rummaged in your bag.
    Were they looking for a small bottle of wine/nibbles or something else?
    Why would they have even thought that you'd put the wine/nibbles in your bag?
    JIL - you really should have complained at the time.
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    What would I have done?

I would have complained to the hotel that you had put your complimentary wine in your bag to drink later and that it was now gone.

It would have been interesting to have heard what they would have said.

No one should be going through your personal stuff for any reason without your permission.
    This ^^^^.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think you missed this bit.

To compare stealing a TV from a hotel room with taking a complimentary 1/4 bottle of wine is ridiculous.

It clearly was not complimentary as they took it back!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What would I have done

I would have spoken to the front desk and double checked if the wine and nibbles was ok to be taken off site to drink.

Its downright wrong a member of staff went through your bags though to remove the wine and nibbles.
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    edited 16 September 2018 at 8:45AM
    It clearly was not complimentary as they took it back!
    Clearly?
    The OP said it was complimentary.
    She was there.
    You weren't.

Additionally, the OP has said the wine wasn't visible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure