Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 29th Aug 18, 3:03 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 12Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    MSE News: O2 launches 'custom' plans - but it'll cost you
    • 29th Aug 18, 3:03 PM
    MSE News: O2 launches 'custom' plans - but it'll cost you 29th Aug 18 at 3:03 PM
    O2 now offers 'custom' tariffs which allow customers to choose how and when they pay for a device - but you could save £100s/yr by shopping around...
    Read the full story:
    'O2 launches 'custom' plans - but it'll cost you'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 29th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 10,133 Posts
    • 7,754 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 29th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    The big 4 networks are thrashing around trying to preserve their profitable traditional business model against the onslaught of SIM only deals which cannier consumers recognise save them a great deal of money and don't necessarily tie them to a network.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 29th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 2,190 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 29th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    just another ploy by a network to attract gullible punters with 'smoke and mirrors'

new plans promise customised deals, designed to better suit a customer's budget and needs.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 29th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    20aday
    • 29th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    And another network with up to 36 month agreements... didn’t OFCOM ban these a few years ago?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • PHK
    • By PHK 30th Aug 18, 6:26 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    PHK
    • 30th Aug 18, 6:26 AM
    • 30th Aug 18, 6:26 AM
    You've misunderstood. It's the cost of the handset that is paid off up to 36months. (You can choose 3 to 36 months). The airtime contract is separate.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 30th Aug 18, 6:43 AM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 2,789 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 30th Aug 18, 6:43 AM
    • 30th Aug 18, 6:43 AM
    You've misunderstood. It's the cost of the handset that is paid off up to 36months. (You can choose 3 to 36 months). The airtime contract is separate.
    Originally posted by PHK
    BUT linked to the term of the handset repayhments. If it smells like a fish, looks like a fish and tastes like a fish...
    • japitts
    • By japitts 12th Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    japitts
    • 12th Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    The big 4 networks are thrashing around trying to preserve their profitable traditional business model against the onslaught of SIM only deals which cannier consumers recognise save them a great deal of money and don't necessarily tie them to a network.
    Originally posted by pmduk

To be fair there are some scenarios whereby it's better to get a handset-bundle tariff than SIM-only - when I was last "upgrading", it was only a couple of ££ extra a month (so about £50 or so over the 2years) between going the SIM-only route and getting my phone direct from EE. By going the handset route, EE threw in the 24hr replacement service (which I'd had to use on another account only a month or so previously) and a few other extras.. which made it worthwhile.

And Android devices especially don't tend to get network-extras like 4G-calling & WiFi calling, which can make the difference.

But these caveats aside, it doesn't take away from the principle - and when I priced up the O2 Flexible tariffs, they still worked out more expensive than other options.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,225Posts Today

6,132Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin