Ryanair cuts it hand luggage allowance AGAIN - MSE News

Budget airline Ryanair is changing its baggage policy for the second time this year - unless you pay for priority boarding, you'll only be able to take one handbag-sized carry on into the cabin on flights from 1 November...
Read the full story:
'Ryanair cuts it hand luggage allowance AGAIN'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 August 2018 at 9:16AM
    Looks like they are very desperate for additional revenues as they’ve got rid of the free 55 x 40 x 20cm bag allowance. This change will catch people out and they’ll be lots of heated discussions because the gate fee fine is €25 if your bag is oversized.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/new-bag-policy-from-november-will-cut-check-bag-fees-reduce-boarding-delays/

They’ll always play around with allowances and fees like this.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2018 at 9:43AM
    I don't get why the Safety Regulation Authorities continue to allow Ryanair to deliberately cause their cabins to be stuffed to the gunnels whilst the massive empty spaces in the hold would just act as enormous fresh oxygen draft chimneys in the event of a cabin fire.

A 737-800 has 189 seats and unlike earlier series of the type, Boeing was forced to include two overwing exits each side in order to achieve the manufacturer controlled mandatory max 90 second evacuation test. I.e. it was already on the limit when it was designed. Ryanair's business model means load factors are exceptionally high compared to what they typically were when the aircraft was designed when designers only had in mind a traditional system of using the hold for most luggage.

Now the holds are totally under utilised (by Ryanair's design) and emergency evacuation procedures are heavily compromised because of it.

Ryanair passengers don''t normally get any chance to regularly practice achieving 90 second evacuations from cabins full to gunnels or even 90 second evacuations from cabins as they typically used to be when 737-800 entered service.

We might be forgiven for wondering whether Ryanair 737-800 hulls might now be more sensibly and safely converted to flat bottoms with half a dozen emergency hatches in the floor direct to the tarmac :mad:
  • I just added priority to a trip i have in November and its gone up to £7 for priority baggage- this is utterly ridiculous and probably the last time i will fly ryanair.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm confused tickets booked for January 2019, expecting to take a 10kg checked in for free now i have to pay #28 extra ? 7pp each way, 2 travelling or i just get 1 handbag each for free ?

What a swiz !
  • Ryanair needs to realise that long gone are the days where they were actually the cheapest (anyone remember the 1p flight days.. oh how I miss them) and now charging £60+ for a flight plus £14 for hand luggage (that is smaller than any other airline) plus the costs of arriving to airports in the middle of nowhere is going to lose them a LOT of customers. I can fly to proper airports on any other airlines baggage fair. I literally told a friend to avoid it the other day when easyjet was an option.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    peterbaker wrote: »
    I don't get why the Safety Regulation Authorities continue to allow Ryanair to deliberately cause their cabins to be stuffed to the gunnels whilst the massive empty spaces in the hold would just act as enormous fresh oxygen draft chimneys in the event of a cabin fire.

Have you actually been on a Ryanair flight recently? The overhead lockers are more or less empty after they started gate checking the larger trolleys.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    wazza99 wrote: »
    I'm confused tickets booked for January 2019, expecting to take a 10kg checked in for free now i have to pay #28 extra ? 7pp each way, 2 travelling or i just get 1 handbag each for free ?

What a swiz !

You can cancel for a full refund and book with somebody else. Until people start voting with their wallets, nothing will change.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If i could i would, but with pre flight hotel booked, car parking etc etc not to forget Marrakesh in January is hardly a hot route i have no choice, i just don't like the retrospective aspect, booking a ticket with these jokers is a gamble with you having no idea if what you book is what you get.....
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wazza99 wrote: »
    Booking a ticket with these jokers is a gamble.
    One of the reasons why I flat out refuse to anymore.
  • joncombe
    joncombe Posts: 320
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It does seem rather unfair it can apply to existing bookings made under the old rules. When you booked the flight ticket included 10KG of luggage. Now it doesn't so you have to pay extra. I didn't think materially changing what you'd already paid for was legal, but I guess that is why they are offering a refund and that makes it legal.

Ryanair have kind of dug themselves a hole. Hand luggage was always free but what was considered hand luggage used to be much smaller, they charged for checked bags a long time ago. Then the definition of "hand luggage" got larger and larger until it's the size of what was considered hold luggage in the past. So now most passengers manage with that and don't pay for hold luggage. As a result now there isn't enough room in the cabin, it sounds like they are reverting back to the sort of setup they had 15 years or so ago where hand luggage is free (but small) and suitcases must go in the hold (unless you pay extra).

I don't believe it's not all about money. Even their own FAQ says

We also believe that bigger bags is a service customers should pay for when our average fare is under €40.

Interestingly whilst the FAQ also says the new size limit of the free cabin bag is

40x20x25cm

However their bag sizer has been increased to 42x20x30cm and you will have to pay a fee if it doesn't fit in the new sizer. So it sounds like there is in effect a 25% leeway in what is the maximum size (though I wouldn't want to rely on it!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure