PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,726
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 10:36PM
    Evening everyone. Hope everyone is doing well. Not much more decluttering here going on atm. Except for my purse buying bread, ham cheese etc for sandwiches. Believe it or not we've had another death in this street, buried one on Wednesday and by Thursday another one had gone. Funeral for them is tomorrow.
    Joke in this house atm is we're decluttering neighbours instead of items this week;:eek:

Anyhoo, in between Making food for the neighbours wake I have been managing to get rid of non living things...... Have to make a phone call to the charity shop on Tuesday to see about getting rid of some drawers, table etc.

My problem being now is that because I work in a school im in buy mode and picking up bits and pieces for Myself and the classroom. New pants for little accidents, socks, pens pencils etc. So I've done the 30 bags challenge and my new challenge is now not to bring in 30 bags :rotfl:

Apart from that my declutter mojo has gone now :( I think 4 funerals in 10 days might have something to do with that one, I mean seriously I feel like I'm a rent a mourner at this rate. :rotfl: Hopefully this is the last one for a very long time...... or at least till September as then I struggle to get time off from work. The only good thing is I've been able to go to the funerals without feeling like a beggar having to ask for time off work. But if the man up above colud give us all a break for a while that would be great!

Off now for a bath, just thinking that'll add to the decluttering list ad I've a few bottles that can be used up tonight, and hopefully finish the book I've been reading for 2 weeks now :eek: never taken me this long to read a book :rotfl: but that'll be another thing for the new charity shop bag.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,878
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Bit different this weekend. really needed to declutter some weeds, but rather than count weeds I counted minutes. So two days of 18 minutes weeding (helped by the rain!) my brown bin is full but gets emptied Wednesday.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,163
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bit_by_bit wrote: »
    Many thanks edwink, MRs SD, Happy Kitties and retiredinfrance your comments re my fundraising total. I was a bit suprised myself as I expected to raise about £400 :j

Interesting to read about your DH Saver-upper. I am the hoarder in our house and have had great difficulty letting things go. A few days ago I sat deciding whether I should let an old camping chair bag go. It was worn, torn and faded and yet I really didn't need it. Yes I could think of a few uses for it but did I really want it in my life? Anyway it went in the bin bag and out the door to the wheelie bin. It is a waste of life to sit there pondering over such little things, yet I can't help myself.

Mind you, when I first met the inlaws I helped clear out a kitchen cupboard. On the top shelf were opened pots of stuff that were 20 years out of date. I had no trouble throwing their stuff, :D

Anyway, I am better than I used to be, but need to move stuff on a lot faster.

Don't worry about losing your mojo guys, it will come back. We all need a rest from things and I for one find getting rid of stuff and emotional as well as a physical thing, so I get tired doing it.

My thought follow this sort of train of thought (excuses).

Could this item be used for something else, it is too expensive to just give away, it was from someone who is special to me, it's too pretty or in good condition to let go. It needs to got ot the right place (esp books). It can't be recycled what am I going to do?

In this way some things have been with me since I left home 35 years ago, following me from house to house but never been used. A very physical haunting.

Wow, that is the first time I realised that. I think I amgoing to do the label it and date it with all my stuff, if it hasn't been used in a year then it is going. (ESP clothes)

Hi bit by bit

I also found it much easier to get rid of the in-laws stuff when we cleared their house - it was simply that the thing in your hands was just that - a "thing", an item with no memories attached and simply to be decided on by it's intrinsic usefulness or prettiness. It was a simple do we keep this yes/no, if no is it useful to anyone else, if no to the tip it went, if yes where was it to be sent ie sold/cs/given away. We had no invested value of thinking how much did this cost, did we use it etc etc.

Is there any way to shift your thinking towards this ie ask yourself if I found this when clearing someone else's house would I see immediately why it was kept (perhaps it is stored tidily, with others like it, in a cupboard near where it was to be used etc etc) or would i think what on earth were they ever going to do with this?

Something being still in good condition doesnt mean you have to store it. After all if you never use it and you store it carefully it might still be in good condition in another 10 years. But in that time it would have done you no particular good at all and in a sense it is still 'wasting' the item to not allow it to be used by someone who needs such an item. Your home is worth more than just storage space for things you neither need nor use.

Similarly an item being originally expensive is also not a logical reason to keep something. Logically it matters not whether you paid a ha'penny, a fiver or a hundred thousand the money is spent and now you have an item that you can do whatever you want with, keep, use, love, hate, use to put birdfood on in the garden or keep highly polished in a display cabinet - doesnt matter at all to the item which it is. Unless you keep a really detailed spreadsheet of your overall worth noting a financial amount to each item in your possession, then as soon as the money is paid over then its gone.

I'm only putting these forward for thought as you appeared to be considering changing some of your usual processes. I feel thats a natural thing at our age as we can look back - like you i can go back 35 years and be a young adult - and it makes it easier to see have I needed this before? If I need it in future will it be a sudden emergency or will I have time to shop around? Will I be able to afford it in the future? Etc, etc. I feel that makes it easier to let go of stuff that I kept when i was younger as I didn't know If it would be needed in my future iuswim.

Just ignore what makes no sense to you, and take what you need from it.

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • A general clean and tidy up today as I have visitors coming to stay tonight.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,613
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    *190 another pillow thrown out
    *191 a lot of cardboard into recycling as I've been sorting out more items to put away
    *192 paperwork destroyed that was no longer needed

irishrose sorry to hear about your neighbours ur street doesnt seem to be having alot of luck at the minute

Following Mrs SD mantras and I have to say the kitchen is beginning to look a lot tidier
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 August 2018 at 9:21PM
    It!!!8217;s been a while but my decluttering has continued. I!!!8217;ve just forgotten to keep a track. Here goes...

1391. Old printer/scanner donated to in laws
    1392-1426. New ink cartridges passed on too
    1427-1438. PC games donated to cs
    1439-1441. Storage tins donated
    1442-1446. Clothes donated to cs
    1447. Book donated to cs
    1448-1450. Food donated to food bank
    1451. Headphones donated to cs
    1452. Pack of cd covers donated to cs
    1453-1563. DVDs sold online
    1564-1567. Scarfs sold online
    1568-1571. Skincare products sold online
    1572-1573. Dead pens
    1574. Book sold online
    1575. Bag donated to a friend
    1576-1579. Books donated
    1580. Recycling out
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • 1. IF I NOTICE SOME SMALL TASK NEEDS DOING - I WILL DO IT IMMEDIATELY

2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I WENT IN - WITHOUT HIDING THE CLUTTER EXCEPT for the wardrobe room which is currently the storage room (sr)

3. THE LAST WASHING UP OF THE DAY WILL BE PUT AWAY BEFORE I GO TO BED

Welcome back basketcase :T What an amazing weekly total :T Hope you have a great time in Milan & Venice. Happy Birthday to your DD - 18 I suppose :D

Villagelife - I like it - decluttering on your holiday :T

bit by bit, glad the family are on board :) Exciting planning a new kitchen. When I got my new kitchen a few years ago I had two must haves - a double oven & a warming drawer. The warming drawer has proved invaluable - warming plates, proving dough & keeping the components of various meals warm if I get the timings wrong or don’t want to use all four rings on the hob :)

Happy Kitties, steady progress. Shame about the cs but I see you were determined to make your donation :T

marmiterules, Rootle & DundeeDoll, Fiasco55 - well done on keeping up the momentum :T

IrishRose, your street really does deserve a break until at least 2020. Re your book, with all that has happened I am surprised you haven’t taken 4 weeks to read it :)

Daisy, what a great idea :T ‘What would you do with the item if it was someone else’s?’ I will try to remember that when I open the next box :D It will definitely make sorting easier :)

Lots of rain - so the grass is greening up but meant we missed the Perseides as it was so overcast :( Saturday night’s mushroom, chicken & pea risotto was delicious as was Sunday’s fry up using up the last of the tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes, bacon. Monday’s dinner was compliments of my DSis - onion pasta - absolutely delicious :drool:

DH & DSis went & got more gravel & did an sm shop. I went to P.O., then dropped two bags off at the cs, couple of drinks in the pub garden as the rain had finally stopped then walked home.
    Before I left I had stripped the bed & put the wm on. Dried bed linen using td & bed made. Still awaiting a call back from cs re furniture collection !

Re my three mantras over the last 2 days - aired & made bed, washed up, dried up & put away as I went along; washed down kitchen work surfaces; kitchen floor swept; indoor bins emptied; toilet flush handle tightened; general tidying;

The day to day decluttering has generated

C38 - C44 Two milk cartons, 3 tins, 2 plastic pots - rinsed & recycled
    C45 - C53 Two newspapers & 2 magazines read, toilet roll tube, 2 lots of cardboard packaging, 2 cardboard boxes broken down - Recycled
    C54 - C70 Non recyclable - Three empty plastic sand bags, 6 plastic bags, 5 plastic trays, 2 plastic trays with packaging, plastic pot & lid - binned
    C71 Wall mounted Digital Kitchen Scales - already delivered to cs

Will see you all tomorrow - when hopefully basketcase has sent my mojo back :rotfl:

MrsSD
    C71/C2018
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £43.00
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £??; May £??; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,726
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    *190 another pillow thrown out
    *191 a lot of cardboard into recycling as I've been sorting out more items to put away
    *192 paperwork destroyed that was no longer needed

irishrose sorry to hear about your neighbours ur street doesnt seem to be having alot of luck at the minute

Following Mrs SD mantras and I have to say the kitchen is beginning to look a lot tidier

IrishRose, your street really does deserve a break until at least 2020. Re your book, with all that has happened I am surprised you haven’t taken 4 weeks to read it :)

MrsSD
    C71/C2018
    Thanks Ladies. Mrs SD I'm liking your date. 2020 sounds good to me. I'm well and truelybdinecwith funerals force long time.
    The difference for us here is that our filunetals are usually 2-3 days after the death, unlike in England where you have up to 2 weeks to wait. Plus we take the bodies home to be wake so it's always a busy time. So 3 on the trot I'm just done.

Anyhoo so far today we've had no death calls *touching wood* So I've had a productive morning. Had my 6 month dentist check up, I hate the dentist so was dreading that. Came home and phoned the charity shop to come and take some furniture away, have had a clear out of the bathroom drawers and now have an empty drawer:T just sitting down to some lunch then going to make a start on the spare room as I'd like to get that redecorated. Need to put some washing on too lol.

Hope everyone is having a lovely day. We've had rain here this morning, which yes I did get caught in:( But it's still warm so I'm melting lol.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thankyou Happy Kitties. I have been through all this before with two extensions while still living in the house. It will be stressful but I am going to enjoy the fact that someone else is putting my kitchen in this time.

Mrs SD. I wouldn't be without my double oven and in fact we are re using it and having a soimilar hob. as it is relatively new. The hobs knob swere worn but when we pricedd new ones they were between 15 and 20 punds each. I have a new hob with new knobs from e*bay for a fiver so very happy.

Well done on clearing stuff out despite the lack of mojo.

Daisy, thanks for all of that. I agree with you that a change of thinking is what is needed. I will work at it and let you know. My biggest problem has been books since I could afford to buy my own. I still have the first book I paid full price for :D

Today though I did get rid of two bags of books. One at work and one to Oxfam, travel books which I know they will definitely sell. Ther are still three bags to go and another being filled. Also a bag of clothes has gone, also to Oxfam and another bag with study stuff in someone leant me 8 years ago has now been returned.

A final bag of books for a business management course my DH did are by the door, my DiL is starting a business degree via the OU and so she will use them. If they get returned eventually they will be sold.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,613
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    *193-198 5 presents sent off today, boy was that a good feeling
    *199 packaging for the above

Still can't believe how much better the kitchen is looking and staying on top of it so that it stays that way.

bit by bit I have to ask and it would be my worst nightmare......did you put ur own kitchen in , in the past? I think I would pass out, just having the kitchen ripped out and adapted nearly sent me into meltdown. I'm not good with any sort of building work or diy but still plodding on with slowly packing up the living room for decorating.......its got to be decorated at some point loathe it or love it!!!!
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family