PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling the house

Comments

• Has he given you the correct notice?

I think you are going to need to do a fair bit of reading to enable you to understand your options and it may be worthwhile having a look at the debt advice on here, possibly including posting up a SOA so that people on here can advise on how you can make savings and ensure you don't stay in the same financial position that you are currently.
    Yes I definitely need to read up on what my options and rights are! What is an SOA?
    The LL came round on Friday and said he and his business partner want to sell the house and he thought 3 months was a reasonable time for us to vacate. He said if I needed anything in writing to let him know.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
  • It might be worth talking to the PDSA regarding your animals, to see if they have any advice. Is there a pet shop anywhere near you that sells reptiles? They might be prepared to take in the snakes in exchange for some work in the shop (I appreciate you work full-time already, but could you do some cleaning before a shift? I have loads of animals and would do absolutely anything to keep them). Then contact all your local animal rescue centres to see if they would find foster families for your cat and dog while you get settled.
    Thank you, I will look into this. The dog might be an issue as he hates cats, dogs and young children. I would love to help out in a reptile shop with all the kind of animals I’d love to own but can’t afford financially or time wise.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 9:46AM
    From what you have said you appear to be on a periodic contract - month to month.

Personally I would be asking the LL to issue with a Section 21 so that you are able to take this to the council and you will be legally 'threatened with homelessness within the next 8 weeks.' (Don't panic because the LL would have to take you to court to evict you giving you extra time)

Recent legislation means that councils now have a legal duty to help you if you are threatened with homelessness within the next 8 weeks. At the moment there is nothing in writing to say you are. The council will likely put you to the back of the queue as regards help without a Section 21 notice.

There are different options for the council to help you and I think you are best to get the 'ball rolling' by getting some 'official status'.

Have a read of this

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/homelessness/applying-for-homeless-help/check-if-you-can-apply-for-homeless-help/

If your council is unhelpful then get your local CAB involved.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes I definitely need to read up on what my options and rights are!

The LL came round on Friday and said he and his business partner want to sell the house and he thought 3 months was a reasonable time for us to vacate. He said if I needed anything in writing to let him know.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice - a good place to start learning.

Your LL obviously doesn't understand his legal duties at all!
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    AIUI If you move without having received proper notice, you will have made yourself homeless and the LA will not offer any help. Wanting to keep your current LL on side, for a decent reference, is all very well but you must make sure you protect yourself as much as possible.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 2:14PM
    The sale of the property does not end your tenancy: it just means that you have a new LL. It's not your job to advise your clueless idle LL of the legal process required to end your tenancy. Until he issues an S21 you need to do nothing, and even then if you remain in the property after the due date passes, it could take him 2-4 months to evict you, at which point the LA must find you emergency accommodation.
    Basics: please confirm the status of your tenancy agreement. Is your deposit protected? Do you have a current gas safety certificate? Do you have an EPC? An S21 will be invalid unless the latter 2 have been provided.
    Based on what you have told us about your LL, I don't think you need to worry about being homeless in 3 months.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman wrote: »
    The sale of the property does not end your tenancy: it just means that you have a new LL. It's not your job to advise your clueless idle LL of the legal process required to end your tenancy. Until he issues an S21 you need to do nothing, and even then if you remain in the property after the due date passes, it could take him 2-4 months to evict you, at which point the LA must find you emergency accommodation.
    Basics: please confirm the status of your tenancy agreement. Is your deposit protected? Do you have a current gas safety certificate? Do you have an EPC? An S21 will be invalid unless the latter 2 have been provided.
    Based on what you have told us about your LL, I don't think you need to worry about being homeless in 3 months.
    Thank you macman, I feel a lot better about it now. I think I will look for places to live and see if I can find somewhere that accepts us but I won’t worry too much as you are right, I shouldn’t have to tell the LL his job so I’ll just wait and see what happens. If a section 21 arrives then I can start the process of becoming homeless but I’m going to have until at least after Christmas I reckon if I sit tight and wait for a section 21 and then an eviction.
    My deposit is protected, I’m not sure about the gas safely cert, I think it is in date and the house had an EPC 8 years ago when a previous LL owned it but not one since then.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,519
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hmm, I don’t think I will get one. My landlord is very lax. He has barely done any repairs to the house and we should have signed a new tenancy last November and we haven’t.
    The thing is I don’t want to ruin the relationship we have with the LL as a good reference from him might be the only thing that actually helps me get a new house.

He has to, its not an option. So, if you don't get a valid S21, then continue to live there. I would not fret over something that may never happen..just yet.

No council will help you as you are not facing eviction.
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Mrs_pbradley936 Posts: 14,567
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 August 2018 at 9:50AM
    While it is perfectly true that you have to be issued with the correct paper work it will not take the landlord long to discover that. If you really have no hope of staying there then the sooner you get your head around that and look for alternatives the better. Being a "right fighter" is all well and good but you want an amicable move with a decent reference. The people telling you to be as awkward as possible because you are "right" are not going to be facing the consequences of being left homeless without a reference are they? I would be asking the landlord to issue a section 21 Notice for your benefit rather than his. Then you can take that to the Council as proof of your situation. If you don't have that you are not "facing homelessness".

I would then approach the Council and ask if they would be in a position to help you finance another private tenancy locally seeing as you are not likely to be a priority for them to house.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/rent_deposit,_bond_and_guarantee_schemes

The pets might be a problem but some landlords are OK with them if you put in a larger deposit. The truth is you need to get a roof for yourself and your family first and then you can think about the pets.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    While it is perfectly true that you have to be issued with the correct paper work it will not take the landlord long to discover that. If you really have no hope of staying there then the sooner you get your head around that and look for alternatives the better. Being a "right fighter" is all well and good but you want an amicable move with a decent reference. The people telling you to be as awkward as possible because you are "right" are not going to be facing the consequences of being left homeless without a reference are they? I would be asking the landlord to issue a section 21 Notice for your benefit rather than his. Then you can take that to the Council as proof of your situation. If you don't have that you are not "facing homelessness". - The OP wont be homeless, she will be housed by the council.

I would then approach the Council and ask if they would be in a position to help you finance another private tenancy locally seeing as you are not likely to be a priority for them to house.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/rent_deposit,_bond_and_guarantee_schemes

The pets might be a problem but some landlords are OK with them if you put in a larger deposit. The truth is you need to get a roof for yourself and your family first and then you can think about the pets.

It's not about being awkward, most landlord wont touch an undischarged bankrupt with a bargepole. The OP may have no choice but to go through the council.

They WILL NOT house her unless she is legally evicted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport