Electricaire R10 vs electric rads

Hi
I’ve posted here a couple of times regarding my 70’s Econmy 10 warm air system and have had a quote of £2400 for six modern electric rads with WiFi hub.
I would like to update my heating but have no gas and don’t particularly want to go oil/wet system due to space and installation cost.
I know electric rads aren’t endorsed at all here but for my situation it’s much easier and I could run them partially on cheap rate as my E10 times are during morning up to mid afternoon.
My Electricaire storage unit is 10kw and the new rads would total 7.2kw.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    With the high E10 tariff prices, I would think a 'normal' 24/7 tariff would be much cheaper to run; even allowing for water heating at daytime rates.
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,401
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for the reply. Eon unit price is going up a little in a few days so my off peak rate will be 11.9p and peak rate 20.8p.
    Standard unit price at present is 16.5p.
    Eon can swap my meter for a standard one if I decide to do away with Economy 10.

Need to do a fair few sums to work out how the E10 warm air system running costs compare to electric radiators.
    Hot water is on immersion and 30mins gives hot water all day.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Still can't see the point in changing personally. You want to pay £2400 for a system that will be at best the same cost to run, and at worst more expensive?
  • danrv
    Forumite
    edited 23 September 2020 at 2:21PM
    Yes, its just that the whole place needs updating including the heating. Running costs aside, the initial expense is down to the appearance and quality as I know that the same result can be had with cheap panel heaters and timers.
    The whole idea of electric warm air heating in the UK is history unfortunately and although parts are still available, the storage units are no longer made.
    If there was a modern, more compact, asbestos free replacement available, I’d get one without hesitation and just clean up the ducting.
    The R10 obviously gets quite warm when charging and the walls of the cupboard that its in are cracked due to this.
    As far as running costs go, newer probably wont be better but newer is what Id like.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    danrv wrote: »
    Yes, its just that the whole place needs updating including the heating. Running costs aside, the initial expense is down to the appearance and quality as I know that the same result can be had with cheap panel heaters and timers.
    The whole idea of electric warm air heating in the UK is history unfortunately and although parts are still available, the storage units are no longer made.
    If there was a modern, more compact, asbestos free replacement available, Id get one without hesitation and just clean up the ducting.
    The R10 obviously gets quite warm when charging and the walls of the cupboard that its in are cracked due to this.
    As far as running costs go, newer probably wont be better but newer is what Id like.

The last 3 posts of this thread may be of interest:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3516223&page=31

Agreed. Also they can be plugged in via an adapter that will control timing and even allow remote control.

The biggest objection to these £20 radiators is that they are ugly/old fashioned etc. If that is the case there are plenty of firms that sell radiator cabinets this is an example from Screwfix:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/contemporary-suffolk-radiator-cabinet-medium-natural-mdf-1195-x-200-x-900mm/9808p

9808P_P&$prodImageMedium$
  • danrv
    Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 3:07PM
    Thanks, interesting read on Fischer heaters. I did have a salesman visit and was impressed with the demo of the clay actually rising in temperature even when turned off.
    He noticed that the warm air heater was on when it certainly didn!!!8217;t need to be and turned it off.
    Electricity bill has reduced considerably so appreciate that.

£2400 is way cheaper than an oil fired wet system install or ASHP system and it does include a WiFi smart hub
    which I think would be essential for six rads.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    danrv wrote: »

Danrv, I begin to suspect you work for Fischer, and are just here asking inane questions to publicise them. I take it you've not heard of a firm called Dimplex?

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/r1284-electricaire-r1284
  • danrv
    Forumite
    jk0 wrote: »
    Danrv, I begin to suspect you work for Fischer, and are just here asking inane questions to publicise them. I take it you've not heard of a firm called Dimplex?

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/r1284-electricaire-r1284

I don’t work for Fischer, just sharing my experience.
    I’ve heard of Dimplex and realize that Electricaire is now part of the company. I think the R12/84
    is obsolete and I have spoken to Dimplex regarding my requirements.
    Their only storage heater options were of the individual type - Quantum and one other, maybe DuoHeat.
  • collectors
    collectors Posts: 231
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 8:30AM
    Have you thought of possibly LPG wet system. I have this & although its more expensive than mains gas to run, it far cheaper than electric. But this would all boil down to how well insulated your property is.
    A short while back Calor gas was fitting a free overground tank which is a big saving. If you wanted it underground, you would have to dig the whole. I have a five bed bungalow that i rent 3 of the rooms to lodgers & spend around £800 pa for rads/water/1 gas hob for me. They cook on electric.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 10:37AM
    collectors wrote: »
    Have you thought of possibly LPG wet system. I have this & although its more expensive than mains gas to run, it far cheaper than electric. But this would all boil down to how well insulated your property is.
    A short while back Calor gas was fitting a free overground tank which is a big saving. If you wanted it underground, you would have to dig the whole. I have a five bed bungalow that i rent 3 of the rooms to lodgers & spend around £800 pa for rads/water/1 gas hob for me. They cook on electric.

Thanks. Yes, have considered LPG and have loft insulation and double glazing. Walls are cavity
    but not sure if theyre insulated.
    Dont have a lot of room from for or particularly keen on a large unsightly white tank but I notice theres a Calor Compact option in a discrete housing. Not sure how often Id need to refill those in the winter months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback