enquirer57

Hi All
I just sent a claim form for miss-sold ppi via 'WHICH' website last week to Halifax for a credit card I had for many years not sure if I had ppi but just checking.

They then wrote to me asking for details of when I took card out and what makes me think I was mis-sold ppi and who sold it to me and whether it was over the phone etc. And to explain my financial circumstances at the time. As I wasn't sure if I even had a ppi with the card and therefore didn't know the other info I rang them to ask date I took the card out, which they gave me I then asked for a copy of any agreement for ppi ins etc. The lady said she couldnt give that info to me I would have to apply for that info via the Halifax website, which I did. But I noticed it said the information could take up to a month to get to me and the form Halifax sent to me had to be returned within 14 days.

The Lady from Halifax wouldn't tell me if I had a ppi or not over the phone, just said they would have to investigate once my form was returned!
But I did notice at the top of the page of the form a ref no that began PPI- followed by a no, so I don't know if this was my original ppi acc no or a ref they've given to my claim enquiry.
Any advice would be much appreciated !!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Instead of sending a "claim form" ( in fact a complaint), you should have simply written to them asking if your account had PPI. There is no point returning the completed "claim form" until you have this information, because how can you complain about a financial product you may not even have had?

The 14 day deadline does not apply here for the reason above, but no one who misses this "deadline" would be turned away anyway. As for the PPI reference number, that's the reference number of your complaint-not any PPI.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    enquirer57 wrote: »
    Hi All
    I just sent a claim form for miss-sold ppi via 'WHICH' website last week to Halifax for a credit card I had for many years not sure if I had ppi but just checking.

They then wrote to me asking for details of when I took card out and what makes me think I was mis-sold ppi and who sold it to me and whether it was over the phone etc. And to explain my financial circumstances at the time. As I wasn't sure if I even had a ppi with the card and therefore didn't know the other info I rang them to ask date I took the card out, which they gave me I then asked for a copy of any agreement for ppi ins etc. The lady said she couldnt give that info to me I would have to apply for that info via the Halifax website, which I did. But I noticed it said the information could take up to a month to get to me and the form Halifax sent to me had to be returned within 14 days.

The Lady from Halifax wouldn't tell me if I had a ppi or not over the phone, just said they would have to investigate once my form was returned!
    But I did notice at the top of the page of the form a ref no that began PPI- followed by a no, so I don't know if this was my original ppi acc no or a ref they've given to my claim enquiry.
    Any advice would be much appreciated !!

Halifax are asking you to do a SAR which can take up to one month to complete as they don't have access to your records on the front line. Do note they do not have to keep a copy of your paperwork, particularly if the account is old and/or closed, they are allowed to send you a reconstituted copy.

There is no 14 day deadline per se but they are looking into your complaint (which is how they have treated it) and need this information to confirm how you were sold it and if it was miss-sold and without the form / data they can only judge on the info they have. You could ring and tell them you are waiting for the SAR data before proceeding and to extend the deadline and see what they say.

That said, while nobody has a perfect memory, you should have some idea of your situation when it was taken out e.g. working or not, work benefits etc
  • The Lady from Halifax wouldn't tell me if I had a ppi or not over the phone . . .
    Probably because that information was not available to her digitally, and couldn't put you on hold whilst she went and rummaged through files in the basement? Or maybe the info is stored on another computer system which she doesn't have access to.
  • [Deleted User]
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    You could ring and tell them you are waiting for the SAR data before proceeding and to extend the deadline and see what they say.
    There is no need for the OP to tell them anything. The Bank will still be obliged to re-open the complaint if and when the OP decides to send the form back. The two week "deadline" is not enforceable, they just want to hurry people along..
  • Nasqueron
    There is no need for the OP to tell them anything. The Bank will still be obliged to re-open the complaint if and when the OP decides to send the form back. The two week "deadline" is not enforceable, they just want to hurry people along..

Yes but they might well start the investigation and give a conclusion based on the data they have which then has to go back and forwards causing delays, easier to actually speak to someone and confirm the details - though that said if the only issue is where the card was taken out it's not much of a problem so long as the complaint is not alleging a staff member did xyz and the card was taken out online!
  • [Deleted User]
    Yes but they might well start the investigation and give a conclusion based on the data they have
    No they won't. If no response is received the case will be "closed" without any investigation taking place. However, if the Op subsequently finds out that he or she actually had a PPI policy and complains accordingly, the Bank will be obliged to re-open the complaint.

As I said earlier, the 14 day "deadline" is simply an attempt to hurry complainants but it's not enforceable.
  • Nasqueron
    No they won't. If no response is received the case will be "closed" without any investigation taking place. However, if the Op subsequently finds out that he or she actually had a PPI policy and complains accordingly, the Bank will be obliged to re-open the complaint.

As I said earlier, the 14 day "deadline" is simply an attempt to hurry complainants but it's not enforceable.

If the PPI team are dealing with a complaint and asking for more information, they will not stop investigating just because they don't receive the form, they will simply deal with it on the information they do have. They cannot just ignore a complaint and close it!

If you look at the Which site, the thing the OP has sent in is a complaint, it does the same sort of thing as Resolver i.e. creates the complaint for you, it's not an enquiry so will proceed as a complaint.
  • [Deleted User]
    They cannot just ignore a complaint and close it!
    Exactly.
    They also cannot give a two week deadline.
    The OP has "complained" about PPI which may not even have existed, in which case this whole debate will be moot.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They then wrote to me asking for details of when I took card out and what makes me think I was mis-sold ppi and who sold it to me and whether it was over the phone etc. And to explain my financial circumstances at the time.

This suggests they have not been able to identify any failures at their end based on the limited info that they have. Or maybe even havent been able to find PPI on the account and are will look at your documentary evidence to prove it existed.

Or it could just be that they got the complaint in without any complaint reasons given and haven't even looked it as there is nothing to go on.

Or it could be that the above but if you dont respond with info, they will wait a period and then make a decision based on the limited info they have.
    As I wasn't sure if I even had a ppi with the card and therefore didn't know the other info I rang them to ask date I took the card out, which they gave me I then asked for a copy of any agreement for ppi ins etc.
    Most credit card agreements dont show whether you had PPI or not. So, there is no need for it.
    and the form Halifax sent to me had to be returned within 14 days.

That is not an enforceable timescale. Its just an encouragement for you to do it quickly.
    It will be your complaint reference number.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Exactly.
    They also cannot give a two week deadline.
    The OP has "complained" about PPI which may not even have existed, in which case this whole debate will be moot.

All I was saying is that if they are working to a deadline (perhaps it is now 6 weeks since the complaint arrived so they want to get it done before the 8 week FOS option) then if OP does not respond then they will potentially respond to the complaint and offer the FOS as they are required to. If OP is waiting on the SAR to see how it was sold to them then simply asking the team to wait would be better than just ignoring it, letting the team deal with the complaint and then having to go back to them after they have issued a rejection or Plevin or whatever.

Essentially OP should not just wait for the SAR before responding
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport