I've been charged 172.60 for a "free" nhs dental

I had a checkup a few months ago as was entitled to it with universal credit.

Completed the form but as they didn't have an option for UC I ticked "income based JSA" as advised to do by the JCP.

Fast forward a few months and I've just received a letter saying my details have been passed to a debt collection agency on behalf of the NHS and now need to pay 172.06:eek:

Surely they could have just looked up that I was on UC and not IJSA?

Its a huge bill for a 10 minute checkup that I only had because it was free and hadn't had one in years :(

What happens if I dont pay this bill?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,847
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It must have been a while ago if that letter is from a debt collection agency. Are you sure you were entitled to free treatment at the time? being on UC doesn't automatically entitle you to free NHS treatment, it depends on circumstances.

I found this while doing a search, https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/welfare/2017/11/universal-credit-flaw-forcing-patients-risk-50-prescription-fine

seems like this is what happened to you when you ticked the JSA box, which was correct. You need to check for sure if you're entitle to free treatment through UC.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,870
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you checked that you meet the UC eligibility.

Not all UC clients are entitled to free treatment.

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/universal-credit.aspx
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    seems an odd price for a 10 min appointment?? (even if debt collection fees added)

*Band 1: £21.60 covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.

Band 2: £59.10 covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).

Band 3:** £256.50 covers all treatment included in Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    seems an odd price for a 10 min appointment?? (even if debt collection fees added)

*Band 1: £21.60 covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.

Band 2: £59.10 covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).

Band 3:** £256.50 covers all treatment included in Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

It'll be fines and fees as it's passed to a debt collection agency. Was probably £21.60 plus fine but grew as it went unpaid
  • I was definitely entitled as on the lower end of UC. They claim to have sent a letter a month ago, but I didn't receive anything.

Yes it's all the fees on top of that causing it to be so high.

Couldn't they have just looked up on the UC system using my name to see entitlement? I'm having to go into the JCP just to get a form completed by them, although not sure if it's too late now the debt collection agency is involved.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    hettyGreek wrote: »
    Couldn't they have just looked up on the UC system using my name to see entitlement? I'm having to go into the JCP just to get a form completed by them, although not sure if it's too late now the debt collection agency is involved.

Nope they don't. They just seem to randomly pick people. My friend has a 5 year medical exemption due to being epileptic after having a stroke. He had one year left to run and got a letter saying he was not entitled to his free prescription.

Bad enough for most people but freaked him as he has an acquired brain injury. Nothing to pay as they where incorrect.

As you say could be easily checked but they don't.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • I went to the dentist the other day and the nurse was quite arsey with me because I couldn't remember if I was on income or contribution based ESA.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 7:07PM
    I went to the dentist the other day and the nurse was quite arsey with me because I couldn't remember if I was on income or contribution based ESA.

Because as the claimant its up to you know.

And means the difference to if you get free treatment or not.

Hence why she was arsey as they need to know to get the correct forms to be filled in.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • calleyw wrote: »
    Because as the claimant its up to you know.

I have a appointee and don't receive my benefits payments myself.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have a appointee and don't receive my benefits payments myself.

Does your appointee purchase your daily three litres of cider?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure