Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 30th Jul 05, 5:54 PM
    • 11,237Posts
    • 49,146Thanks
    Prudent
    Cheese without becoming cheesed off?
    • 30th Jul 05, 5:54 PM
    Cheese without becoming cheesed off? 30th Jul 05 at 5:54 PM
    I have just come back from Morrisons with 18 packets of cheese that were reduced to 10p. Most of them are 500g in weight and a good quality mature cheddar.There is also 3 packs of Grueyere (spelling?) and some nice ones with bits in that I shall have with crusty bread or biscuits.

I have some vistiors coming to stay for a few days and wondred if there are any suggestions for recipes using cheese? This evening I am going to make lasagne and cheese scones.
Page 1
  • lady_lucan
    • 30th Jul 05, 6:07 PM
    • 30th Jul 05, 6:07 PM
    Fondue? Is is that too retro?
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 30th Jul 05, 6:28 PM
    • 3,973 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 30th Jul 05, 6:28 PM
    • 30th Jul 05, 6:28 PM
    my kids love special shepherds pie which is made with rice instead of potato.Mix meat, veg and boiled rice and a tin of tomatoes with a cheese sauce(white sauce with cheese added) put in casserole dish and cook about 35 mins then top with grated cheese and melt.Its from 'Nannette Newman's food factory' book we've had for years.
  • Quackers
    • 30th Jul 05, 6:36 PM
    • 30th Jul 05, 6:36 PM
    My Grandads sister used to freeze cheese! Cant you do that until you need it?
    I reckon you'll definately get cheesed off with it if you try and use it all in a short space of time.

Cheesy mash - yum yum
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 30th Jul 05, 6:37 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 30th Jul 05, 6:37 PM
    • 30th Jul 05, 6:37 PM
    Nope - I would say Fondue is THE way to go. Retro is in again (they tell me, I don't follow the fashions)

Cheese sauce to go with veggies or fish

Or just freeze most of it unless you want your friends to look like a block of cheddar
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 30th Jul 05, 7:03 PM
    • 11,237 Posts
    • 49,146 Thanks
    Prudent
    • 30th Jul 05, 7:03 PM
    • 30th Jul 05, 7:03 PM
    Never thought of freezing it - brilliant! I usually buy one 500g block a week, so this will last ages. That is always a couple of of my shopping bill, so that will be a saving.
    Fondue sounds good. What do you dip in the cheese?
  • lady_lucan
    • 30th Jul 05, 8:00 PM
    • 30th Jul 05, 8:00 PM
    Hunks of bread, sliced veggies, cherry toms, crackers, meat...wherever your imagination takes you really.

Oh, and don't forget, if you're having fondue you MUST drink alcohol to stop the cheese forming a big lump in your stomach...lol
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 31st Jul 05, 1:11 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 31st Jul 05, 1:11 AM
    • 31st Jul 05, 1:11 AM
    If you are going to freeze it, it may be worth taking the time to grate some before freezing.

When I need to grate cheese I grate much more than I need, then I put the excess in a freezer bag (pack it very loosely) and freeze.

Then when I need some for cooking it's readily available....no need to spend time grating or worse still, washing the grater!

Pink
  • emr
    • 31st Jul 05, 1:18 AM
    cheesefest
    • 31st Jul 05, 1:18 AM
    freezing, definitely! well done on such a monster bargain buy.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 31st Jul 05, 6:48 AM
    • 11,237 Posts
    • 49,146 Thanks
    Prudent
    Hunks of bread, sliced veggies, cherry toms, crackers, meat...wherever your imagination takes you really.

Oh, and don't forget, if you're having fondue you MUST drink alcohol to stop the cheese forming a big lump in your stomach...lol
    by lady_lucan
    LOL. I am sure I can manage that! Wouldn't want a sore stomach. I have found a really nice bottle of Rose (how do you put that little accent thing on the 'e'?) wine for 3.99.
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 31st Jul 05, 7:35 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    (how do you put that little accent thing on the 'e'?) wine for 3.99.
    by Prudent
    For once I know the answer - hold down the Alt key and type 130 which gives you !
  • Freddie_Snowbits
    Pizza, I left a recipe here last nite! You will need a breadmaker though.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=77501

Just click on the link
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 31st Jul 05, 9:43 AM
    • 11,237 Posts
    • 49,146 Thanks
    Prudent
    Pizza, I left a recipe here last nite! You will need a breadmaker though.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=77501

Just click on the link
    by Freddie_Snowbits
    I have a bread maker, so that's ideal, thanks.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 31st Jul 05, 9:44 AM
    • 11,237 Posts
    • 49,146 Thanks
    Prudent
    For once I know the answer - hold down the Alt key and type 130 which gives you !
    by sleepless saver
    I don't feel so daft now. I thought it would be something really obvious.
  • idiot
    cauliflower cheese. mmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    • buslouch
    • By buslouch 2nd Aug 05, 12:37 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    buslouch
    by sleepless saver
    Alternatively: Right alt (Alt Gr) and e, or even ctrl alt and e.

The wonderful things you learn working for a company with an ! in the name....
    • elona
    • By elona 2nd Aug 05, 2:09 PM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    If you have a breadmaker - how about cheese and onion bread - it is gorgeous!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 2nd Aug 05, 2:56 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    I often buy cheese in bulk from costco's (its yummy) and grate it for the freezer and then use in quiches, lasagnes, macaroni/cauliflower cheese, welsh rarebit, cheese biscuits (I put a recipe for really easy cheese biscuits on the recipe thread) it is really easy to use. Well done on such a great bargain!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • Bendybops19
    Only the alt ctrl and e works for me! Oooh look what i can do now... !!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so clever...

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

• megsykins
    • By megsykins 2nd Aug 05, 5:46 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    megsykins
    Macaroni cheese, mini cheese-on-toast (hors d'orves - sp??), cheese and biscuits , moussaka, sprinkle it on top of shepherds pie, lasagne, pasta bake. Try cheese.com for more ideas.
    I'm getting hungry now!!! (there's a reason my mum called me Megan Mouse for my first 10 years! )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

411Posts Today

4,871Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin