Amazon Prime Sign Up

I haven't bought anything from Amazon since last month, are always extra careful about not joining Prime.

Received an email from Amazon this morning sayoing the card they were going to take my Amazon subcsrpion from was out of date.

Logged in to see a Prime account was opened on 9th June

I've cancelled it and won't be charged, but how would this have been created?

Are they just signing people up automatically now or could I have clicked something wrong?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    UKSBD wrote: »

Are they just signing people up automatically now or could I have clicked something wrong?

Most likely the latter. If they were found to be doing the former they would be in serious trouble (or at least as much trouble as the UK regulators are prepared to make for Amazon, which probably isn't much).
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 795
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    just received an email from them saying;
    "I have checked and can see that the Prime free trial membership activated on Thursday, 10 May 2018 for 1 month"

I bought something on 7th but no mention of Prime anywhere.

They also say;
    "I can understand you were not aware of this and its must caused you an inconvenience. To sum up with this, I would love to offer you a Gift card of GBP 5 as an apology. would really appreciate if you could accept this."

Nice of them :-)

Glad my card was out of date though as it could have been a few months before I noticed.

What else was strange was the card they tried to take money from wasn't my primary card, maybe because that was VISA where as Primary card is a Mastercard?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I cancelled my Prime membership a while back, but was concerned when a member of my family used our Blu-Ray player to access Prime Video. There was no warning that this reactivated the cancelled account until I had an E-Mail welcoming me back to Prime. I quickly got a refund, but had to complain in order to do so.

I've since voluntarily and deliberately reactivated my Prime Account, but this should serve as a warning to others how easy it is for this to happen without proper notification. The money was debited from my account immediately Prime Video was accessed.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Just posting to say that I cancelled my Prime membership this morning, not having used it at all since I placed a qualifying order. But be warned, they don't make it easy for you to leave, firstly by making you look for the link to end the account (no in-your-face hyperlink here!), and then asking no less than THREE times if you'd like to leave and offering an increased incentive with each.

I sought a relevent thread out on MSE to serve as a warning to others - be organised, and be persistant! The briefest sod-it moment translates into income for Amazon.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The link is under "your account" which is along the top of the Amazon page, your prime membership then click end membership and benefots which are in the left, yes you get various options to tempt you to stay, doesnt take long to cancel, no longer than Now TV.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As above .
    I use Prime sign up and cancel FOC before 14 days on a frequent basis .
  • letsbehonest
    letsbehonest Posts: 1,098
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My experience with Amazon, as an occasional user I do not want prime I will not pay to shop. Checking my CC last year I noticed £ 79 debit upon investigation it was for Prime, I have never signed up for it, never accidently pressed the wrong button ect. After a moan to Amazon that was after a long search for the right contact details they tell me I must have signed up for the free months trial! I never did I am too careful.
    The refund was very quick and they included the previous year's as well, that was my mistake I never checked my CC very often as It is only used on Amazon. Another more annoying trick is to include p&p even after the check out phase of the transaction, I alway's double check that I select free delivery befor I commit to buy. . Dodgy practices but alway's " you must have done something wrong" excuse.
    As it is said " buyer beware"
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    The link is under "your account" which is along the top of the Amazon page, your prime membership then click end membership and benefots which are in the left, yes you get various options to tempt you to stay, doesnt take long to cancel, no longer than Now TV.

Just out of curiosity, what do they offer to try to get you to stay?
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    UKSBD wrote: »

You clicked something wrong - possibly because amazon made you click it wrong.

They have a habit of putting up a "join prime" hijack screen on your way to the checkout and it can be difficult to decide where to click to continue without joining up, for example the button "continue with free delivery included" is actually a "sign me up to prime" button. This is so bad that I always close the window and go back to the homepage and try and check out again without this screen.

And then on the checkout final basket delivery options screen, again be wary of a "free next day delivery" option that has "... with amazon prime trial" written in small nearby.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just out of curiosity, what do they offer to try to get you to stay?

They have in the past offered use of either prime delivery or it could have been Prime video for a reduced fee.

Have just tried to cancel and nothing was offered to stay, it was more about "you will lose x amount of benefits".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure