WOWCHER dismay warning crystal holidays any help please

elpem
elpem Posts: 8
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 9 July 2018 at 3:16PM in Consumer rights
Can anyone help please?

I purchases a wowcher deal on 28 June for 2 people that was advertised on their site to go to Iceland, New York and Niagara Falls with flights. Prices advertised as from £699/person. I checked the dates, some weren't available but I chose 21 Jan 2019 which was a total of £1543 (£769 each plus £5 admin fee) paid in full on my credit card. I checked I had selected the correct date.

I received my 2 vouchers from wowcher and all seemed fine until I spoke with Harvey from Crystal Travel (London) 29 June. The fine details said that 'you must redeem your stay online within two days of purchase.' They needed our passport details to confirm booking which I had to email to a different person than the one who had phoned me. Not a problem. They went through the itinerary which I was concerned with as it was advertised that flights may involve a maximum of one stopover. The details of the trip said that 'you'll start in Reykjavik' so I presumed I would fly from Manchester to Reykjavik.
The actual itinerary discussed on the phone involved flying from Manchester to Frankfurt (Germany), a 5hr wait at the airport before flying/arriving in Reykjavik at 23.46. Leaving Reykjavik 2 days later at 15.10 (to go to Toronto) Via Frankfurt (Germany) with a 4 hour wait at the airport again, arriving in Toronto at 23.50. Two days later train from Toronto to New York, 11.30 hours in total arriving at New York 21.50. (Train was mentioned in advertised holiday details). Two days later leave New York at 7.45am to fly home (not directly home arriving in Manchester at 1.25am the following day after flying to....Frankfurt, with a 3hr wait).

Much as I was being pressurised to confirm I said I wouldn't as I wanted discuss it with my friend first (as I wasn't sure that all of these details were mentioned in the advert). Pressure from Harvey to book now. I explained that I am a nervous flyer and even just discussing the extra flights, landings and take offs to and from Germany with airport waits was sending my heart pounding. He told me to drink water and that they really wanted me to have a wonderful trip, then suggested he check if he could cut down on the flights/airport waits etc,. He gave me details of better flights that he was finding, asking if that would be better etc so a new itinerary was written down frantically by myself. More pressure of 'reserving' the flights but I politely said no I would have to just check. My head was pounding and I wanted to just think about it. He then informed me the alternative direct flights would be an extra £1130!!! I said no, I won't be able to pay anymore money as the deal was for £769/person. I said I would just stick with the original flights involving Germany although I wasn't happy with it as there was no mention of this in the details advertised.

He then informed me that January is a busy time of year in these places and the cost of all flights had gone up since we had spoke. Went through everything again with him (lots of pressurising me to pay for alternative flights) and clarified with him that I couldn't go with the original deal without incurring an extra cost. I said I would like a refund. Was told I couldn't have a refund as they don't refund bookings. He was then trying to get me to book (and pay extra) as flights were booking up as we spoke....

I asked again for a refund as he had just confirmed that I didn't actually have a booking...he said No, these are long haul flights, cost varies a lot, this is online variation, wowcher deal on for a few days and flights change. I didn't think this was fair as I had selected the dates/details before purchasing from WOWCHER.

Asked to speak to a manager and Simon (whose email I had to send passport details to) basically gave me a hard sell about how direct flights are better, less waiting around etc. Explained that I would rather have a full refund to my credit card as the company can't give me what I had seen advertised. Was then told that he would let me pay the extra costs 3 weeks before departure. I said no I would like a full refund.

I contacted Wowcher and crystal travel through resolver on 3 July. Wowcher told me I would have to deal direct with the merchant (crystal travel) and crystal travel told me that "you are requested to kindly take the refund from Wowcher as Wowcher codes are note redeemed and there is no booking with us". Wowcher last contacted me through resolver on 5 July to say "Unfortunately as the deal is sold under the term 'No cancellations or changes once redeemed' the merchant does reserve the right to decline your request for a refund. I will however contact the merchant requesting for a refund on your behalf.

Please be advised that as the deal is sold as 'No cancellations or changes once redeemed' even if the merchant authorises the refund, we will only be able to process the refund in the form of a wowcher credit.
Wowcher (through resolver)have tried to contact Crystal Travelwho they say reserve the right to decline my request for a refund.

I realise that I have made a massive headache for myself and learnt many a lesson, completely feeling like I am in a catch 22 situation. There is nothing that I would want to spend £1543 of WOWCHER credits on and more importantly this will not pay my credit card bill. Please be aware of how awful things can turn.

The fine print on wowcher website said you must redeem your stay online within two days of purchase, which I tried to do the following day. I couldn't have know that Crystal Travel wouldn't be able to give me the trip/dates that I saw advertised without redeeming the voucher. Under the circumstance I feel that the decent thing would be to receive a full refund to my credit card as I wasn't able to know about the extra costs and extra possible travel (Germany) before redeeming the vouchers.

If WOWCHER are reading this can you please refund my credit card. I have used WOWCHER before and never encountered anything like this
. If anyone can offer any help I would be grateful as I am extremely anxious

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Clearly they cannot provide what they promised at the price advertised.

You are entitled to a refund. Not vouchers.

How did you pay for the voucher?

PS - Wowcher is rarely a good deal. You can usually get the same or cheaper without using them as a middle man if you just haggle.

EDIT: just seen you paid by credit card. Contact them for a chargeback.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Gleeful
    Gleeful Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    It's pretty clear from the advert that the flights may have a stopover

https://www.wowcher.co.uk/deal/london/6100536/iceland-new-york-niagara-falls-599pp

It also states:

Valid for selected flights only on these dates; supplementary charges may apply for alternative flights.
  • pinkshoes
    Forumite
    Gleeful wrote: »
    It's pretty clear from the advert that the flights may have a stopover

https://www.wowcher.co.uk/deal/london/6100536/iceland-new-york-niagara-falls-599pp

It also states:

Valid for selected flights only on these dates; supplementary charges may apply for alternative flights.

The OP is saying that the flights and travel they selected and agreed the deal in is not available any more and they are being asked to pay more.

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    The OP is saying that the flights and travel they selected and agreed the deal in is not available any more and they are being asked to pay more.

But is this because it took them more than two days to book?
  • pinkshoes
    Forumite
    SuperHan wrote: »
    But is this because it took them more than two days to book?

It says they bought the voucher for those dates on 28th June then phoned to sort out the booking on 29 June, so within the 48 hour time frame.

I read it as during that phone conversation on the 29th, the agent looked at the price of direct flights, but then somehow during the phone conversation the original agreed itinerary price had gone up.

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Only real 'dismay' in this is the length of the opening post. Original ad mentions likelihood of additional flights so not really their issue that OP can managed min 3 take offs/landings but can't manage 4 ?

As with many tour operators the headline price may be available but you have to be quick off the mark and jump through all their hoops.

Can OP not take advantage of the 'No quibble 14 day refund on unused vouchers' ?
  • elpem
    elpem Posts: 8
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Apologies for the length of the post and thankyou for replies. I'm not saying it is their issue for 3 take offs/landings, but it's not one extra (making it 4) it would be 3 extras to Germany which isn't mentioned. I presumed (wrongly) a stop to be possibly flying to an airport in the same country of visit then getting a connecting flight.
    I wouldn't have minded 'jumping through their hoops' if the actual deal was what I felt was advertised and wouldn't cost me any more money.
    Unfortunately you have to 'redeem' the voucher within 2 days by contacting the merchant (crystal travel) to book. So I am between a rock and a hard place. WOWCHER saying I have redeemed, Crystal Travel saying "you are requested to kindly take the refund from Wowcher as Wowcher codes are note redeemed and there is no booking with us" then wowcher saying if crystal travel authorise a refund it would be in the form of a wowcher credit...
    Just hoping that Wowcher do consider a full refund back to my credit card as I contacted them the day after trying to book
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    It says they bought the voucher for those dates on 28th June then phoned to sort out the booking on 29 June, so within the 48 hour time frame.

I read it as during that phone conversation on the 29th, the agent looked at the price of direct flights, but then somehow during the phone conversation the original agreed itinerary price had gone up.

I understood it that the OP rang, didn't want the deal, asked for alternative flights, thought about it for longer than the permitted 48 hours and then when they decided to go for the original deal they could no longer offer the prices quoted.

OP - I would go back to Wowcher with the correspondence from the vendor that says the vouchers have not been redeemed, then ask Wowcher to refund under the 14 day quibble policy quoted above (although I've not read the terms of that).
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Chargeback/section 75 refund from credit card would probably be less hassle, The deal isn't available but has been paid for, grounds enough for a refund
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    https://secure.wowcher.co.uk/myaccount/csform

fill in that form and request a refund
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills