Advice please universal credit query

Comments

• teabag29
    teabag29 Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2018 at 8:36PM
    The above post from ice queen is correct, you CAN claim uc with 3 children if 1 of you has claimed uc within 6 months, my case is one of those exceptions.

Anyway I eventually spoke to someone from Dwp and a UC expert who said its not definite (as Dwp are still making changes here and there) but its highly likely that I;ll be told to make a uc joint claim with my partner and will nolonger be entitled to tax credits and income support if we claim after July 18th.
    I will then be £104 worse off a week and not protected by the transitional protection, this will really effect me Im struggling as it is. Therefore the only choice we have is to change plans and for him to move in before this date to keep our tax credits but this will i will have no money to go on holiday with at the end of the month which will be our first holiday in I dont know how long and much needed, took us almost a year to save to get it paid (only in uk) but now I!!!8217;lll have next to nothing to spend as tax credits claim will end and take a long time to process the new claim and income support will also take a few weeks to sort and be lower as I will lose my severe disability premium so what is left will probably not even cover the bills let alone any holiday spends. Gutted

* just to conform my partner will be moving into my property from his parents house
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,789
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • huckster
    Forumite
    teabag29 wrote: »
    The above post is correct, you CAN claim uc with 3 children if 1 of you has claimed uc within 6 months, my case is one of those exceptions.

Anyway I eventually spoke to someone from Dwp and a UC expert who said it!!!8217;s not definite (as Dwp are still making changes here and there) but it!!!8217;s highly likely that I!!!8217;ll be told to make a uc joint claim with my partner and will nolonger be entitled to tax credits and income support if we claim after July 18th.
    I will then be £104 worse off a week and not protected by the transitional protection, this will really effect me I!!!8217;m struggling as it is. Therefore the only choice we have is to change plans and for him to move in before this date to keep our tax credits but this will i will have no money to go on holiday with at the end of the month which will be our first holiday in I don!!!8217;t know how long and much needed, took us almost a year to save to get it paid (only in uk) but now I!!!8217;ll have next to nothing to spend as tax credits claim will end and take a long time to process the new claim and income support will also take a few weeks to sort and be lower as I!!!8217;ll lose my severe disability premium so what!!!8217;s left will probably not even cover the bills let alone any holiday spends. Gutted

Suggest you have this checked before you end up worse off.

Get CAB to check.

If this is correct, it will be a tad complicated, because there will need to be workarounds used and it might end up a bit of a mess.

Housing costs ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • huckster
    Forumite
    See page 15 of this document. Family formation.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/662471/stakeholder-guide-universal-credit-2-child-policy.pdf

Perhaps ask whether the family formation exception would apply to your situation and if so, what needs to be done, so you obtain the correct entitlement.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    huckster wrote: »
    See page 15 of this document. Family formation.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/662471/stakeholder-guide-universal-credit-2-child-policy.pdf

Perhaps ask whether the family formation exception would apply to your situation and if so, what needs to be done, so you obtain the correct entitlement.

It is complicated, but no-workarounds needed as it is just part of the process. When a tax credit claim is made from someone with 3 children in a full service area one of the checks that HMRC do is to see if either claimant has received UC in the last 6 months.

The link you provide is about family formation in relation to ordering of children for the 2 child limit which is nothing to do with what the OP is asking about really.

I do agree on one point - the OP needs an experienced welfare rights adviser to guide her through this and ensure she understands the correct position and secondly helps her check the UC calculation.

IQ
  • teabag29
    I!!!8217;ve spoken to Dwp and expert UC advisor who have said if nothing changes between now and then (as tweets are still being made by Dwp) then I will have to claim UC as a couple IF I claim on or after July 18th when my area is is full service. I have done a calculation on turn to us of what my new award would be on UC and then compared that to what it would be on tax credits and income support and it!!!8217;s showing That we!!!8217;ll be £104 worse off on universal credits so my only option really is to change our plans and have my partner move in before July 18th so that we won!!!8217;t be £100 worse off every week..... just means my long awaited and much needed holiday won!!!8217;t be very good now as I!!!8217;ll have next to nothing to spend on it, but rather that then spend every week after it struggling.
  • teabag29
    I don!!!8217;t know why my posts are coming up with letters and exclamation marks, I!!!8217;m spelling everything correctly but it!!!8217;s coming out all wrong when I post
  • huckster
    Forumite
    Workarounds would be needed, as the OP's partner would need to report a change to UC people living with you, new relationship etc, noting just 2 children. At the moment, UC full service will stop new claimant info including 3 children. Noting 2 children would allow a linking code to be provider for partner (OP) making a new UC claim.

When the OP makes their new UC claim with the linking code to join their partners UC claim, they will have to enter the same 2 children. If they attempt to enter 3 children, they won't be able to proceed. Once the joint claim is up and running, child number 3 can be added, but the question is then whether they receive any extra amount for the 3rd child. They might have to ask that this is referred to a decision maker to see if an exception applies.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    It's a forum glitch - if you're using predictive text on an apple device it gives the weird numbers and !s. Turning off predictive text should solve it.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • huckster
    Forumite
    teabag29 wrote: »
    I!!!8217;ve spoken to Dwp and expert UC advisor who have said if nothing changes between now and then (as tweets are still being made by Dwp) then I will have to claim UC as a couple IF I claim on or after July 18th when my area is is full service. I have done a calculation on turn to us of what my new award would be on UC and then compared that to what it would be on tax credits and income support and it!!!8217;s showing That we!!!8217;ll be £104 worse off on universal credits so my only option really is to change our plans and have my partner move in before July 18th so that we won!!!8217;t be £100 worse off every week..... just means my long awaited and much needed holiday won!!!8217;t be very good now as I!!!8217;ll have next to nothing to spend on it, but rather that then spend every week after it struggling.

So are you currently live service UC and it changes to full servuce on July 2018 ? That might explain it, as live service is different to full service.

Who is your expert UC advisor at 10:50pm ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure