Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 25th Jun 18, 10:36 AM
    • 398Posts
    • 199Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco to scrap its Brand Guarantee scheme
    • 25th Jun 18, 10:36 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco to scrap its Brand Guarantee scheme 25th Jun 18 at 10:36 AM
    Tesco is scrapping its Brand Guarantee promise next month as it claims many customers are not benefitting from it...
    Read the full story:
    'Tesco to scrap its Brand Guarantee scheme'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • VT82
    • By VT82 25th Jun 18, 10:50 AM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    VT82
    • 25th Jun 18, 10:50 AM
    • 25th Jun 18, 10:50 AM
    So long. I sincerely doubt you'll be missed.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 25th Jun 18, 11:22 AM
    • 8,744 Posts
    • 14,196 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 25th Jun 18, 11:22 AM
    • 25th Jun 18, 11:22 AM
    "The store has confirmed it will end the scheme on 16 July due to it being used by fewer than one in eight customers.

If you buy 10 or more products, the Brand Guarantee scheme gives you an instant refund if the branded items in your basket or trolley, are cheaper at Asda, Morrisons or Sainsbury's."

How is it "not being used" if it's a process that happens automatically, if applicable...?
    Last edited by jackieblack; 25-06-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Jan £105.26, Feb £103.31,Mar £135.77, Apr £104.51, May £100, June £50

• RikM
    • By RikM 25th Jun 18, 11:23 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    RikM
    • 25th Jun 18, 11:23 AM
    • 25th Jun 18, 11:23 AM
    The slogan was a little confusing... It implied that Tesco was going to charge more than anywhere else: "never pay more for your branded shop"
    • minislim
    • By minislim 25th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    minislim
    • 25th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    • 25th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    i don't bother with Tesco's any longer.
    their sneaky tactics over the past few years and now their blatant price fixing on their fuel have driven me away for good.

they should change their motto to "every little off you helps our profits"
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 25th Jun 18, 1:17 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    • 25th Jun 18, 1:17 PM
    Tesco is ditching its brand guarantee
    • 25th Jun 18, 1:17 PM
    AISLE END THAT Tesco is ditching its brand guarantee to invest in lower everyday prices
    The UK's biggest supermarket claims that just one out of eight transactions receive a refund through the brand match scheme

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6617430/tesco-end-brand-guarantee-supermarket-prices/
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 25th Jun 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 25th Jun 18, 2:02 PM
    • 25th Jun 18, 2:02 PM
    Now they can put up prices of branded goods above that of their competitors.
    And no more payouts to Tesco's customers.
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 25th Jun 18, 2:35 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    • 25th Jun 18, 2:35 PM
    • 25th Jun 18, 2:35 PM
    Exactly what I'm thinking - We use it alllllllllll the time and the price match is applied to every single person who buys 10+ items so there is no way Tesco can claim nobody is using it because 100000s of people 'use it' every single day - It's just an excuse because they have decided it's financially nonviable and thats what they should have said instead of this garbage - Claiming their customers are not benefiting from it

"The store has confirmed it will end the scheme on 16 July due to it being used by fewer than one in eight customers.

If you buy 10 or more products, the Brand Guarantee scheme gives you an instant refund if the branded items in your basket or trolley, are cheaper at Asda, Morrisons or Sainsbury's."

How is it "not being used" if it's a process that happens automatically, if applicable...?
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    • pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 25th Jun 18, 2:56 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    • 25th Jun 18, 2:56 PM
    • 25th Jun 18, 2:56 PM
    What they mean is that fewer than one in eight eligible transactions actually generates a refund. So for most people it won't make a difference. This is always the case with price match schemes because, generally, people switch brands depending what's on offer and/or wait to stock up when their favourite is on offer.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 25th Jun 18, 3:42 PM
    • 40,444 Posts
    • 312,457 Thanks
    mjm3346
    For most people it will make no difference but about 12% of people will end up paying more for their shop - but that just assumes Tesco will not take advantage of scrapping the scheme and now they no longer have the brand match it will not cost them to charge more than their rivals so 100% of people could end up paying more.
    Internet goodness £26691
    • SonOfPearl
    • By SonOfPearl 25th Jun 18, 11:20 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    SonOfPearl

Originally posted by jackieblack
    That's exactly what I want to know. I guess it means that only 1 in 8 shopping trips at Tesco qualify for an automatic refund.
    Last edited by SonOfPearl; 25-06-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 26th Jun 18, 7:22 AM
    • 7,895 Posts
    • 8,045 Thanks
    eddddy
    I've always found this scheme useless for the 'cost-conscious' customer who always buy whichever brands are on 'special offer' (as well as own brands).

It only seems to kick-in for 'brand-conscious' customers, who just buy their favourite brands, without worrying too much about the shelf-edge price.

So I guess it seems strange to then give a price reduction at the checkout to 'brand-conscious' customers who are not very worried about price.

(Although, I know there are 'super-shoppers' who cross-check for special offers at other supermarkets first, and separate their Tesco shopping into different baskets to maximise savings etc - I guess they will lose out.)
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 26th Jun 18, 7:32 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    Thats me - The SUPER SHOPPER - I used to seperate my shopping trolleys to maximise my discount (1 trolley load with loads of cashback, other trolley full of Tesco offers) and I thought I was the only one that did this - Even Tesco checkout operators didn't twig what I was doing "Shopping for someone else?", Me "Sort of)"

Although, I know there are 'super-shoppers' who cross-check for special offers at other supermarkets first, and separate their Tesco shopping into different baskets to maximise savings etc - I guess they will lose out.)
    Originally posted by eddddy
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 1st Jul 18, 2:07 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 4,043 Thanks
    badmemory
    It's reaching the stage where the only good thing about them is the car park & not needing a coin for the trolley. Clubcard points that get you nothing worthwhile anymore. Kenco reduced occasionally to £4 so with points 3p cheaper than Home Bargains £3.99. I am rapidly reaching the stage where I really CBA with them.

I've shopped with Tesco for 10 years when I lived down south & for 27 years since I moved back to the north west. I am already buying less & less but with the recent changes I seriously wonder why I do buy any. Probably just a habit which they are relying on.

Then lets just chuck into the mix the fact that they are removing best before dates which means that with their abyssmal stock rotation the normal person has no idea how long a product has been on the shelf. Are they actually intending to commit Hara-kiri?
    Last edited by badmemory; 01-07-2018 at 2:23 AM.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 1st Jul 18, 6:39 AM
    • 10,406 Posts
    • 8,894 Thanks
    prowla
    I kind of get it; I've had shops of several bags of items and only saved pennies; the issue us that some items may be lower and others may be higher in price, so they average out.

If you really are a cost-conscious shopper then you'll pick items from multiple supermarkets.

As far as Tesco in general goes, I'm pretty sure I've reduced my total spend there; I find a lot of things are not competitively priced and can't do a weekly shop, due to the short life of fresh items.
    Last edited by prowla; 01-07-2018 at 6:49 AM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 1st Jul 18, 9:25 AM
    • 8,176 Posts
    • 14,879 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Does the 7 out 8 transactions that don't benefit from this BG include the small transactions 9 or less items?

One of the Tesco stores near me is opposite a FE college where students buy a couple of items for lunch
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 1st Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 6,869 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    I do a Tesco home delivery once every 3 weeks and my Brand Guarantee is usually less than 5p (if I get one at all!).
    If it goes it won't change my shopping habits, my shopping is already done to the best prices I can get,
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 1st Jul 18, 3:58 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    The reason you haven't benefited is that you haven't separated your shop from one trolley containing £8 "Price match Refund" and other containing £8 Tesco discount produces "we were £8 cheaper on your shop"
    Chuck those in the same trolley and that's how you have been earning a big fat £0

I do a Tesco home delivery once every 3 weeks and my Brand Guarantee is usually less than 5p (if I get one at all!).
    If it goes it won't change my shopping habits, my shopping is already done to the best prices I can get,
    Originally posted by welshbookworm
    I kind of get it; I've had shops of several bags of items and only saved pennies; the issue us that some items may be lower and others may be higher in price, so they average out.

If you really are a cost-conscious shopper then you'll pick items from multiple supermarkets.
    Originally posted by prowla
    • martinbuckley
    • By martinbuckley 1st Jul 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    martinbuckley
    Originally posted by prowla
    Most people don't have the time available to spend hours going round multiple supermarkets in order to save a couple of quid.
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 1st Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    Which was the whole philosophy behind the Tesco price match but it's gone now

Most people don't have the time available to spend hours going round multiple supermarkets in order to save a couple of quid.
    Originally posted by martinbuckley
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

2,374Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin