Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 13th Jun 18, 8:45 AM
    • 395Posts
    • 197Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Millions of card details targeted in Currys PC World and Dixons Travel hack
    • 13th Jun 18, 8:45 AM
    MSE News: Millions of card details targeted in Currys PC World and Dixons Travel hack 13th Jun 18 at 8:45 AM
    Currys PC World and Dixons Travel have admitted the details of more than seven million customers have been compromised in a huge data hack...
    Read the full story:
    'Millions of card details targeted in Currys PC World and Dixons Travel hack'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • aj23
    • By aj23 13th Jun 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    aj23
    • 13th Jun 18, 8:51 AM
    • 13th Jun 18, 8:51 AM
    Pay cash. Or if they still accepted cheques.

Wouldn't have this problem. People will start moving back to cash what with Tesco Bank and TSB Bank hacks and not being able to access money online, and shops like this group having 7 million customers card details hacked.
    • davehills
    • By davehills 13th Jun 18, 9:17 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    davehills
    • 13th Jun 18, 9:17 AM
    • 13th Jun 18, 9:17 AM
    Personally, I don't shop at Currys any more than I have to, and I know others also try and avoid the place.

This could be the final nail in their coffin. I certainly won't be shopping there any more.

I predict: DSG to issue profit warning in the next 18 months.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 13th Jun 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 4,972 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 13th Jun 18, 9:50 AM
    • 13th Jun 18, 9:50 AM

Wouldn't have this problem. People will start moving back to cash what with Tesco Bank and TSB Bank hacks and not being able to access money online, and shops like this group having 7 million customers card details hacked.
    Originally posted by aj23
    TSB was hacked? When was this?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 13th Jun 18, 12:00 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 13th Jun 18, 12:00 PM
    • 13th Jun 18, 12:00 PM

LOL.

People have very short memories.

TalkTalk (also part of the Dixons Carphone group) had a well publicised data breach in 2015, yet remains one of the UK's big four Internet providers, with four million customers.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 13th Jun 18, 1:17 PM
    • 6,924 Posts
    • 19,785 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 13th Jun 18, 1:17 PM
    • 13th Jun 18, 1:17 PM
    Here's the email (or at least, one version of what they're sending out):

Dear Customer,

I am writing to you as a precaution after we discovered during a review of our systems that some non-financial personal data held by Currys PC World and Dixons Travel had been accessed in the past using sophisticated malware.

Our investigation indicates that this may include details such as your name, address, phone number or email address.

There is no evidence that this information has left our systems or has resulted in any fraudulent use of the data at this stage. We are contacting customers whose data was accessed so that you are informed and to recommend you take the following next steps:

•If you receive an unsolicited email, letter, text or phone call asking for personal information, never reveal any full passwords, login details or account numbers until you are certain of the identity of the person making the request.

•If you think you have been a victim of fraud you should report it to Action Fraud, the UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre, on 0300 123 2040.

We take the security of your data extremely seriously and have launched an investigation and put in place extra security measures. We have taken action to close off this access and have no evidence it is continuing. Nevertheless, we felt it was important to let you know as soon as possible.

We apologise for the inconvenience and any concern this may cause.

Yours sincerely,
    Antreas Athanassopoulos
    Chief Customer Officer

"There is no evidence that this information has left our systems or has resulted in any fraudulent use of the data at this stage."

How could they possibly know?
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 13th Jun 18, 1:26 PM
    • 8,794 Posts
    • 108,132 Thanks
    karlie88
    • 13th Jun 18, 1:26 PM
    • 13th Jun 18, 1:26 PM

Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • aj23
    • By aj23 13th Jun 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    aj23
    • 13th Jun 18, 2:51 PM
    • 13th Jun 18, 2:51 PM
    LOL.

People have very short memories.

TalkTalk (also part of the Dixons Carphone group) had a well publicised data breach in 2015, yet remains one of the UK's big four Internet providers, with four million customers.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Who has a short memory?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 13th Jun 18, 4:21 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 13th Jun 18, 4:21 PM
    • 13th Jun 18, 4:21 PM
    Who has a short memory?
    Customers of companies that have hit the headlines following hacks and data breaches.

I doubt "People will start moving back to cash what with Tesco Bank and TSB Bank hacks and not being able to access money online..."

I'm talking generally. I know you're all itching to say you wouldn't touch TSB, Tesco Bank and Dixons Carphone with a barge-pole.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 13th Jun 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    aj23
    Customers of companies that have hit the headlines following hacks and data breaches.

I doubt "People will start moving back to cash what with Tesco Bank and TSB Bank hacks and not being able to access money online..."

I'm talking generally. I know you're all itching to say you wouldn't touch TSB, Tesco Bank and Dixons Carphone with a barge-pole.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Not sure what you're on about tbh. I don't see the relevance to what I originally said.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 13th Jun 18, 5:34 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Not sure what you're on about tbh. I don't see the relevance to what I originally said.
    You said people would start distrusting cards/online etc and go back to cash and cheques.

Snow Tiger said people have short memories and will forget about this quite quickly and carry on with cards/online without issue, giving the example of TalkTalk retaining most of their customers after their breach.

So the people who have short memories are the customers of hacked companies, on the premise they will soon forget about the hack and continue using the company.

I thought your "who has a short memory?" was actually a joke (as if you had forgotten who had a short memory), but it's quite ironic that it wasn't.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 13th Jun 18, 8:14 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    You said people would start distrusting cards/online etc and go back to cash and cheques.

Snow Tiger said people have short memories and will forget about this quite quickly and carry on with cards/online without issue, giving the example of TalkTalk retaining most of their customers after their breach.

So the people who have short memories are the customers of hacked companies, on the premise they will soon forget about the hack and continue using the company.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    Thank you. I couldn't have said that better myself. And obviously didn't.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 13th Jun 18, 8:31 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    msallen
    I don't see the relevance to what I originally said.
    I rarely see the relevance of anything you say.
    • Steveseven
    • By Steveseven 21st Jun 18, 6:45 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Steveseven
    I had a text msg of PCWorld asking me to click the link for security details,

This has to be a con,
    Q. Can I ask PCW to show me all the information they hold on me.
    • etienneg
    • By etienneg 21st Jun 18, 7:04 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    etienneg
    "There is no evidence that this information has left our systems or has resulted in any fraudulent use of the data at this stage."

How could they possibly know?

They don't know. That's why they said "There is no evidence that ..."!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Jun 18, 7:09 PM
    • 10,167 Posts
    • 12,291 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I had a text msg of PCWorld asking me to click the link for security details,

This has to be a con,
    Q. Can I ask PCW to show me all the information they hold on me.
    Originally posted by Steveseven
    Yes, you can submit a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act, which obliges them to send you the personal data they hold relating to you, see https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/ for further details.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

3,120Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin