Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bailey
    • By bailey 29th Jul 05, 5:46 PM
    • 2,063Posts
    • 2,821Thanks
    bailey
    Uses for barley?
    • 29th Jul 05, 5:46 PM
    Uses for barley? 29th Jul 05 at 5:46 PM
    I have some pearl barley given to me which I would like to use to cook with. Do I need to soak it first?

I wish to add it to recipies for my slow-cooker, can I just bung a hangful into the cooker or do I have to "prepare" it in anway first.

Please advise me I don't want to poison anyone.

Many thanks,

Bailey
Page 1
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 29th Jul 05, 6:05 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:05 PM
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:05 PM
    It's fine just bunged in at the start of cooking, nice in stews.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jul 05, 6:10 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:10 PM
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:10 PM
    There's no poison in pearl barley - it's only uncooked kidney beans and soya that have small amounts of toxins in them as far as I know. It came up in a recent thread.

I often just chuck pearl barley straight into the slow cooker if I'm doing a long cook, but the recommended way to get the best of any bean or pulse in a slow cooker is to boil them for about ten minutes first.

HTH
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jul 05, 6:11 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:11 PM
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:11 PM
    Crossed with AT - I don't seem to be picking allthe posts in the site at the moment.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Zend
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:20 PM
    Pearl barley
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:20 PM
    I don't have a slow cooker therefore do I need to soak them overnight?
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 29th Jul 05, 6:34 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:34 PM
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:34 PM
    No, theres no need, just put them in your stew when you start the cooking, they'll be fine
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jul 05, 6:35 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:35 PM
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:35 PM
    I don't have a slow cooker therefore do I need to soak them overnight?
    by Zend
    Oops! Sorry.

You can soak pearl barley for as little as four hours, but overnight is better if it will fit your plan.

Again, if you're doing a casserole or soup on a very low setting for a long time you can put pearl barley straight in.
    Last edited by squeaky; 30-07-2005 at 3:42 PM.

• greenlogo
    • 29th Jul 05, 6:36 PM
    nope, just boil the barley in a separate pan (in cold water) tfor 10minutes (at boil) or chuck into soup directly (as it'll boil for a great deal longer than 10 minutes!) be aware that if you stick it in soup you'll probably need to add more water during the cooking process.

I often use it in stew-type dishes that are looking a little watery num.
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jul 05, 6:36 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    That's TWICE A-T :P

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 29th Jul 05, 7:38 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    That's TWICE A-T :P
    by squeaky
    I just happened to be passing the compo at the time - sorry :rolleyes:

Interesting that you cook it first, I've never seen the need - so there are 2 methods on offer!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jul 05, 8:27 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Yep... he sez... passing the computer...

• bailey
    • By bailey 30th Jul 05, 3:41 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    bailey
    Thanks you all for the advice, i'll feel the slow cooker coming out again!
    • bluenose1
    • By bluenose1 30th Jul 05, 9:22 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    bluenose1
    I went to a vegetarian buffet with work and they had pearl barley served on its own on a big platter with very thinly diced red chillis.
    I just tasted it to be nosy expecting it to be boring. It was actually very tasty. Also very nutritious.
    Regards
    Anne
  • lady_lucan
    Scotch broth...my favourite.
  • sellparttime
    I steam it like rice and serve it with roast leg of lamb and gravy.......
  • Allexie
    In a restaurant recently I had a mushroom risotto made with pearl barley instead of the usual risotto rice and it was yummy. Just had a look for a recipe and found this on the vegweb.com site:

Easy Barley Risotto

Ingredients
    • 35-50g pearl barley per person (big eaters use 50g)
    • 600ml vegetable stock (or concentrate and water)
    • bay leaf
    • small pumpkin or medium butternut or 2-3 sweet potatoes or something that mashes well
    • knob vegan margarine or 1 tablespoon oil for mashing (e.g. pumpkin seed oil)
    • variations:
    • add a chopped carrot to the stock
    • add cooked spinach or baby leaf spinach just before stirring in the mashed vegetable
    • add saut!ed mushrooms
    • add garlic
    • add whatever you have in the fridge or store cupboard
    • throw in some seeds e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, pine nuts etc
    Directions:

Wash the barley and put into a large non-stick pan with the bay leaf and the stock. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for approx 35-40 mins, stirring occasionally, until the barley is swollen and the stock is absorbed. While the barley is cooking, peel your vegetable of choice, and cut into small cubes. Steam (or boil) until quite tender, then mash or puree with the vegan margarine/oil. Remove the bay leaf and stir the mashed vegetable into the barley. If adding mushrooms put them in now and you will get a delicious mixture of flavours. Eat while hot (but it tastes great cold the next day.)

This is a really cheap and filling dish and can be adapted endlessly. It takes no time to get on the go, and you can happily leave it to cook, unlike all the stirring in a normal rice risotto. It can also be quite nutritious, barley is a good alternative to too much wheat, and if you use pumpkin seed oil, you're looking after your essential fatty acid intake too.

Serves: 2-3 Preparation time: 45 mins cooking
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 1st Aug 05, 4:36 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Can you add this to the Recipe Collection please so it gets indexed properly?

• Allexie
    Can you add this to the Recipe Collection please so it gets indexed properly?

by squeaky
    Blinking 'eck squeaks...it's grown and got a bit complicated since I last looked...took me ages to find and I'm not sure if I've put it in the right place now
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 1st Aug 05, 5:06 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Blinking 'eck squeaks...it's grown and got a bit complicated since I last looked...took me ages to find and I'm not sure if I've put it in the right place now
    by Allexie
    Yes you have, and I'll be working on simplifying things again once I've caught up with the MEGA Index. And I'm going to pinch those smilies

I've said thank you over there

• Swan
    • By Swan 2nd Aug 05, 8:45 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    barley makes a very nice milk pudding, same method as you'd use for rice pudding ... delicious in my opinion, but then I'm a total barley freak
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,969Posts Today

6,234Users online

Martin's Twitter