IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

June 2018 - start of the new PPC and DVLA fightback (GDPR related)

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,575
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    [is it sensible to request specifically that once they have read the V5 they securely dispose of it and do not retain it? Otherwise you're giving them your data aren't you? - eg "You do not have my consent to retain this document, please dispose of it securely once you have read it"]
    Definitely. Any more suggestions gratefully received.

Anyone recall the best complain email to use for the DVLA? Need to bombard it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,252
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    (a) the DVLA as controller has to notify the data subject, (RK) when they have made a decision to release their data via KADOE.
    (b) the RK has a right to request the DVLA to reconsider their decision.
    Given that the majority of KADOE data requests are made via electronic access, and once made, your data flies out of the DVLA into the clutches of the PPC faster than the proverbial off a shovel, any notification to you will be, by definition, retrospective, and should you request that DVLA reconsider their decision (who wouldn't), you're already into the PPC sausage machine and the proud owner of a NtK.

How's all that going to work?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • BTailor
    BTailor Posts: 45
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Definitely. Any more suggestions gratefully received.

I would say "retain or process this document's data" as the rules apply separately to each way it is handled/stored.

Which email address are people sending to when addressing the DVLA please?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,252
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Which email address are people sending to when addressing the DVLA please?
    I think we're trying to determine that now.

It's important to get the correct email address, to avoid a scattergun distribution of emails to inappropriate sections, which will could result in further time-consuming stonewalling replies from the DVLA.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • DW190
    DW190 Posts: 184
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    I think we're trying to determine that now.

It's important to get the correct email address, to avoid a scattergun distribution of emails to inappropriate sections, which will could result in further time-consuming stonewalling replies from the DVLA.

The "Subject Access Request" address is :

SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

I think the correct place to complain would be to the Data Controller at the DVLA.

Unfortunately. The register of data controllers on the ICO website is being updated:

We are currently updating the public register. We will publish the register early next week.
  • ladaowner55
    ladaowner55 Posts: 83
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Let's allocate June as a month for:

- Everyone to write or email the DVLA (EVERYONE HERE, NEW AND OLD) telling them that you've read Section 14 of the new DPA "Automated decision-making authorised by law: safeguards" which provides that:-

(a) the DVLA as controller has to notify the data subject, (RK) when they have made a decision to release their data via KADOE.
    (b) the RK has a right to request the DVLA to reconsider their decision.

Who is RK ???
  • ladaowner55
    ladaowner55 Posts: 83
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Given that the majority of KADOE data requests are made via electronic access, and once made, your data flies out of the DVLA into the clutches of the PPC faster than the proverbial off a shovel, any notification to you will be, by definition, retrospective, and should you request that DVLA reconsider their decision (who wouldn't), you're already into the PPC sausage machine and the proud owner of a NtK.

How's all that going to work?

Surely DVLA will be at fault then for releasing your name/address. £750 compo claim.
  • Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Who is RK ???

Registered Keeper
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2018 at 4:30PM
    Surely DVLA will be at fault then for releasing your name/address. £750 compo claim.

Won't work like that, that was the old data protection act.
    This one is far more serious for providers of data.

GDPR is a EU directive and the ICO would find it very
    difficult to change it to favour the DVLA.

If they did, the next explosion will be the cry of SCAM

Would the ICO fine the DVLA ? Of course not, they both
    sleep in the governments bed
  • DW190
    DW190 Posts: 184
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just tried to asked the question to the DVLA as to which department to direct optin/optout requests. Auto response and the first paragraph is:

The Law
    The law provides for the release of information from DVLA!!!8217;s vehicle register to the police, customs officers and local authorities for the investigation of an offence or decriminalised parking contravention.
    The legislation also allows us to release vehicle keeper information to private or public sector organisations and individuals providing they can demonstrate reasonable cause to have it.
    All data sharing undertaken by the DVLA is carried out in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998.

That wont last for long.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport