Moving on from Halifax

Comments

• hangonthebox
    hangonthebox Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2018 at 11:47PM
    hoc wrote: »
    Without a Halifax account how can the Clarity card be managed online?
    By logging into the Halifax website.
    Wouldn't shutting down any/all bank accounts, or never having them in the first place by applying only for the card, lose Halifax online banking features?
    Online banking features yes, as you won't be banking with them anymore. But you can still manage your other Halifax products online. This is 2018 after all.
  • Cotta wrote: »
    I've looked at a number of alternative accounts to Halifax, however I am interested in a recommendations people here may have as to what my best alternative may be?

I would recommend you just chosse the next bank on the list. ;)

A lot depends on the quality of staff and especially the manager at local level. If you never use a branch, then online support can be very hit and miss. A couple of examples :-

TSB - very good when I first moved here, but after a change of local manager it all fell to pieces.

Nationwide - very good at my old address, but when I moved the new manager just wasn't interested in helping customers.

Halifax - good at local level, but their hands seem tied once things go to national level.
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • Cotta wrote: »
    On my account it says Halifax Clarity MasterCard, how can this become independent of Halifax?

It already is.

Try going into a Halifax branch and asking for help with your Clarity (or even Halifax) card. They will just put you on a phone to a call centre. :( All credit cards are sub contracted out to other companies.

You can have a credit card with Barclays and yet bank with Lloyds for example.
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 550
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Once you switch your bank account using the switching service, the direct debit payment for your Halifax Clarity Card will automatically switch with you (assuming you pay by direct debit?) along with any others and standing orders.

All that will happen is that your bank account will stop showing on your Halifax Online but your Clarity Card will just show.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It already is.

Try going into a Halifax branch and asking for help with your Clarity (or even Halifax) card. They will just put you on a phone to a call centre. :( All credit cards are sub contracted out to other companies.

You can have a credit card with Barclays and yet bank with Lloyds for example.

Credit Cards arn't sub contracted out to other companies they are just managed centrally like most things in banking these days. There is no point in going to a bank branch anymore when you can simply sit in the comfort of your home and sort it over the phone/online.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 556
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    maxximus75 wrote: »
    All that will happen is that your bank account will stop showing on your Halifax Online but your Clarity Card will just show.

Are you presuming or do you know for certain? This implies a successful application for a Clarity card as a non-Halifax customer would result in a Halifax online account being created.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are you presuming or do you know for certain? This implies a successful application for a Clarity card as a non-Halifax customer would result in a Halifax online account being created.
    A Halifax credit card can certainly stand alone as a product, with online presence.

I have had a Clarity card account with online and phone app access for a few years, and no Halifax bank account. When I recently switched a bank account to Halifax for the switching bonus it immediately appeared online together with the clarity card account, and additionally in the app.

When I switch away from Halifax to the next suitable bank's offer of an incentive, the Halifax current account will doubtless disappear, leaving the Clarity account on its own again.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite

It's 100% certain. My experience is exactly like eDicky has posted above.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,433
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a clarity card and don!!!8217;t have my current account with Halifax.

This is 2018 you don!!!8217;t need to have all your banking products with one company.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ambassador

Yes this is correct and 100% certain so can tell you that your bank account will disappear and your clarity card will remain and you can view statements and pay from another bank account.

As others have said if you use CASS then your DD (if you use this option) will switch to your new account and will be called as normal.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing