Find My Past automatic subscription renewal scam

Comments

• Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    custardy wrote: »
    um the T&Cs they signed up to?
    The ones posted by another poster.
    Honestly its a grown up world we live in. You folks that want spoon fed to my head in.
    The OP didn't say they had it explained to them as the simply didn't bother to read what they were agreeing to.
    Perhaps every site should employ and army of people to come round your house and discuss things first?

Perhaps it will best to stick to the facts then.

Anyway I would very much like to see an opt in rather than an opt out, it would be so much fairer.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Zandoni wrote: »
    Perhaps it will best to stick to the facts then.

Anyway I would very much like to see an opt in rather than an opt out, it would be so much fairer.

Well the 'facts' are they were provided with the FULL T&Cs,yet chose not to read them and agreed to them. They could have been signed up to a 5 year contract.
    Does this not explain the terms agreed to?

Seems you want to live in a world of being led by the hand.
    I do not.
  • Zandoni
    Well the 'facts' are they were provided with the FULL T&Cs,yet chose not to read them and agreed to them. They could have been signed up to a 5 year contract.
    Does this not explain the terms agreed to?

Seems you want to live in a world of being led by the hand.
    I do not.

Not at all, I want to live in a world where you opt in and not opt out of auto renew, like I’ve said many times.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Not at all, I want to live in a world where you opt in and not opt out of auto renew, like I’ve said many times.

So simply buy from sites that offer that.
  • Zandoni
    So simply buy from sites that offer that.

It would be nice if that was possible.

While people accept companies hiding behind T&Cs they will get away with misleading terms.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And in an ideal world, no one should feel the need to lock the doors or windows of their house and shouldn't have to check out reviews or seek recommendations for builders etc as everyone would be 100% trustworthy.

Saying what you think people shouldn't have to do is totally pointless as I think everyone knows we don't live in a Utopian world.
    That would all be very nice, but I think we need to take small steps, don’t you.

Would these "small steps" include reading up on the T&C's of a contract that you are signing up to instead of simply ticking a box to state that you have read and agree to them?
  • Zandoni
    Would these "small steps" include reading up on the T&C's of a contract that you are signing up to instead of simply ticking a box to state that you have read and agree to them?

No, the first step would be that you have to opt in and not opt out as I keep saying.

The trouble is though people like yourself accept unfair terms.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    A lot of libraries offer free access to UK records from FMP and/or Ancestry. That's the most MSE way to access.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No, the first step would be that you have to opt in and not opt out as I keep saying.

The trouble is though people like yourself accept unfair terms.
    An incorrect assumption on your part. How can you possibly have any idea what sort of terms in a contract I am willing to accept?

Personally, I take responsibility for my actions and decisions and if signing up to a contract, I make myself aware of what I am expected to agree to and if I don't like those terms then I won't agree to them.

Is that really so hard for every responsible adult to do?
  • Zandoni
    An incorrect assumption on your part. How can you possibly have any idea what sort of terms in a contract I am willing to accept?

Personally, I take responsibility for my actions and decisions and if signing up to a contract, I make myself aware of what I am expected to agree to and if I don't like those terms then I won't agree to them.

Is that really so hard for every responsible adult to do?

I!!!8217;m pleased you do but many people lead very busy lives and they may occasionally fail to read them. Auto renew hasn!!!8217;t been around for too long and I believe it!!!8217;s there to exploit the people who are too trusting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure