PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is the Land Registry to be trusted?

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,292
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    kingstreet wrote: »
    The bane of my life.

People inventing addresses for themselves and then having documents showing three different variations instead of the Royal Mail PAF search output, which can be found here;-

https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

I'm probably one of the culprets that you describe!

I changed a house name 20+ years ago.
    • Council tax, planning consents etc, in new name
    • LR database shows old name
    • RM PAF has two entries - one for old name and one for new

(It confuses TV licensing who probably use PAF. They don't believe that 2 PAF entries relate to one house, and keep sending inspectors looking for a non-existent house.)
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,452
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    CO_NO wrote: »
    I should have added that I did indeed pay to download both the Registry Current Title PLAN and the Register EXTRACT, the latter confirms the registered owner is not myself! TITLE ABSOLUTE is not myself.

Is there no Government Department that can be trusted?

If this is the title of the property you actually live in that's in somebody else's name, then you have a really big problem. Somebody else owns the legal title to your house (but hopefully not the beneficial interest)!

The LR rep will probably tell you how to sort it out. That's if it can be sorted out.

On the other hand, if there's another property in the neighbourhood with the same or very similar name, that may be confusing for the postman, but there's no real financial issue.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I should have added that I did indeed pay to download both the Registry Current Title PLAN and the Register EXTRACT, the latter confirms the registered owner is not myself! TITLE ABSOLUTE is not myself.

Is there no Government Department that can be trusted?
    Don't worry, the Government keep making plans to sell it off, though currently they are waiting for a better opportunity to slip it unnoticed into another bill ministers are reviewing responses to the government’s consultation.

I'm sure once it is forcibly transformed into a service run by a profit making private company able to operate in a free market with little or no oversight, the levels of trust, efficiency and helpfulness will go through the roof.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    OP, are you sure the same title was previously in your name?
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,754
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Organisation Representative
    edited 16 May 2018 at 4:47AM
    Others have largely covered it and as davidmcn posts house names on plans are invariably added by Ordnance Survey

We do have some control over that but when a property is registered and the extent mapped we use the OS base map available at that time. If a house name changes or was misspelt we would not generally amend/update the title plan until the registered extent altered for some reason.

Postal addresses are managed by the local authority for electoral roll purposes. They then notify Royal Mail and most then use their data to track and link data to a specific address.

I'm sure OS add house names to their plans but not every single one as their purpose is to survey the area/development primarily with regards the physical features in place e.g. buildings and fences.

In my experience if you are searching a specific address and there are two separate freehold titles and say three different house name spellings then it needs looking at to understand what has happened and why. But more importantly to have it corrected if we can.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • CO_NO
    CO_NO Posts: 28 Forumite
    eddddy wrote: »
    I'm probably one of the culprets that you describe!

I changed a house name 20+ years ago.
    • Council tax, planning consents etc, in new name
    • LR database shows old name
    • RM PAF has two entries - one for old name and one for new

(It confuses TV licensing who probably use PAF. They don't believe that 2 PAF entries relate to one house, and keep sending inspectors looking for a non-existent house.)

There you go...Government Department wondering around wasting money because they don't know which way is up! We have Grenfell, Windrush etc.. What is going on?
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 6:02PM
    Deleted. Irritated unhelpful response.
  • CO_NO
    CO_NO Posts: 28 Forumite
    Don't worry, the Government keep making plans to sell it off, though currently they are waiting for a better opportunity to slip it unnoticed into another bill ministers are reviewing responses to the government’s consultation.

I'm sure once it is forcibly transformed into a service run by a profit-making private company able to operate in a free market with little or no oversight, the levels of trust, efficiency and helpfulness will go through the roof.

SP
    Rock and a harder place...again.

Always bear in mind to err is human, but if you really want to c**k it up you need a computer!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Good grief! Get off your high horse.

If there's an issue with your own property's register, identify what it is and contact the LR to get it corrected!

Personally the last thing I want is for my taxes to be spent on the LR checking the names, postal addresses and ordnance survey entries for every single property in the country.

I'd far rather the money went to the NHS, or filling pot holes, or blowing up ISIS in the middle east (just added to see the reaction!), whilst errors get sorted out when properties change hands or owners bring those errors to the LR's attention.

Note. If you're worried about your property being sold without you knowing, sign up to the free LR property alert!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Always bear in mind to err is human, but if you really want to c**k it up you need a computer!

Garbage in garbage out......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport