PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buildings insurance and Life insurance

Hi All,

Does anybody know when the best time is to get Buildings insurance and Life insurance because our mortgage broker is pushing for us to get it as soon as possible but I don't see the point in getting and paying for it now because we haven't even had our mortgage approved yet and completion wont be for another few months.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• 4ndy8
    4ndy8 Posts: 22
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello, you could set these up but don’t have them start yet. Then call them when you know dates. That’s what I’ve done.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    You don't need building insurance until exchange, you don't need life insurance until completion.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,712
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How can you take out buildings insurance until you know what property you are buying.
    Use a comparison website like moneysupermarket or compare the market etc
    As for Life assurance Please Please please take this out to cover the whole mortgage amount and ask for Level term. I.E. the amount it would pay out remains the same for the whole term.
    Again shop round with comparison websites or Cavendish online, Zurich, moneysupermarket, etc
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It is worth shopping around in advance for both. Don't just automatically use the broker.

You can select the policies in advance (indeed you should) but you do not set them up till Exchange of Contracts (at which point you are legally committed to buying).
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,292
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you want/need life insurance to give financial security to your dependants, maybe you should get it now.

Then...
    • if you die before you buy a property, the insurance pay-out will provide the money for your dependants to buy a property to live in.
    • if you die after you've bought a property, the insurance pay-out will pay off the mortgage, and allow your dependants to continue having a property to live in.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Slithery wrote: »
    You don't need building insurance until exchange, you don't need life insurance until completion.
    Both should start at exchange of contracts. Completion for buildings insurance, in the case of a newbuild.

If you die between exchange and completion, the funds are still required to complete the contract.

It can take months to get life, critical illness and income protection cover medically underwritten. Applying now, getting underwritten and being ready to go on risk at exchange of contracts is the sensible route.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    I let my MA ramble on about insurance quotes because he was a nice chap and his boss was observing him. When his boss left the room I pointed out that his quotes were three times more expensive than the sort of quotes I’d found myself.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I thought life nsurance was optional.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I thought life nsurance was optional.

I don’t have it, but I’m single with no dependents and really don’t care what happens post Shortcrust. Is it perhaps needed when there are two people on the mortgage?
  • GoingOn30
    GoingOn30 Posts: 230
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Of course your advisor is pushing these as he will make a pretty penny in commission!
    Life insurance is optional, I don't have any as I have no kids (and no immediate plans for kids) and a good "death in service" benefit from my employer. I would get it once I had a child though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure