MSE News: Asda trials new temporary £99 card charge for 'pay at the pump' customers

Supermarket giant Asda has started to put a £99 pre-authorisation hold on the cards of customers who pay for fuel 'at the pump' in some of its stores - and other petrol stations could soon follow suit...
Read the full story:
'Asda trials new temporary £99 card charge for 'pay at the pump' customers'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just pay at the kiosk. Only used P@P a few times and each time something went wrong. This 'quicker' methods usually take longer.
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,121
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I use P@P at Tesco on a regular basis and they "earmark" £1 on my account before taking the full amount for the fuel I've taken.

I put some fuel in my car last night (around 10PM) and the £1 is still in my pending transactions. It will probably come out of my account sometime on Friday (which is normal from what I've seen).

For the sake of argument, consider the following scenario.....

I have £50 in my account.
    I go to Tesco and use P@P (I know the article was about Asda but I can see everyone else joining in). The kiosk is closed when I go. I put in £20 in fuel (so I'm temporarily £30 worse off).
    Let's assume for 5 minutes that they earmark the full £50 (as I don't have £99 in my account).
    At the current rate of things, that would be earmarked until Friday (why it takes them a couple of days to take the cash I'm not sure).
    I don't have an overdraft facility (and don't want one).
    For 3 days I cannot use the £30 I should have left in my account.
    I'm also losing interest on that £30 (OK, that works out a pennies but that's not the point).
    Can I claim that back?
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,902
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Given the recent shenanigans with TSB I would have thought all major retailers would put may-require-bank-liaison ideas on hold for a month, just til the dust has settled.

If Asda decide to try to hold £99 of mine, no matter whom they blame, I'll be "going the extra mile" and getting my fuel elsewhere - like Costco which takes a precautionary £1, or Morrisons which doesn't take a ha'penny up front.

What me, untrusting? Yes.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,642
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    rmg1 wrote: »
    I'm also losing interest on that £30 (OK, that works out a pennies but that's not the point).
    No you are not, interest is paid on your actual balance. Santander were forced to pay back interest not paid on pending card transactions.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    I'm confused. Does this mean that motor fuels count as food or groceries in MSEland? :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 May 2018 at 3:47PM
    You know those times when you go with a mate, who uses different fuel, on the basis they've got no money so you'll do them £10 in their car and then £20 in your car, or you always fill up together/on the same card one after the other .... that's 2x £99

It doesn't affect me - there's only one Asda I use for fuel as the two within 20 miles of me don't sell fuel ... and the one I do use is 200 miles from my house, so I use it once every 2 years or so when I'm that way and need a top up.
    aj23 wrote: »
    Just pay at the kiosk. Only used P@P a few times and each time something went wrong. This 'quicker' methods usually take longer.

Some don't have them - they're just DIY dispensers.
  • bodacious
    bodacious Posts: 450 Forumite
    antrobus wrote: »
    I'm confused. Does this mean that motor fuels count as food or groceries in MSEland? :)

Whenever an MSE staff member starts a thread they just seem to throw a dart at the board and post wherever it lands, whether it's a relevant board or not.

I don't think the majority of MSE staff have a clue about forums and how to use them TBH.

This should have been on the Motoring board or at worst on the Credit card board but certainly not on the Food shopping board!
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,047
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Well I'm glad it's on this forum as I rarely look at the motoring forum. People go to Asda to shop for food so filling up at a supermarket is something many users on this forum will be doing.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,902
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Do you suppose they have watchers on MSE?!

As hurrah for an outbreak of listening if so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure