Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    tr3mor
    Bread and Butter Pud
    • 29th Jul 05, 8:31 AM
    Bread and Butter Pud 29th Jul 05 at 8:31 AM
    After searching for recipes last night for Bread and Butter Pudding, and not finding any that looked overly inspiring, i thought i'd make my own. Bear in mind that i'm a bloke and any kind of weighing or measuring were deemed completely unnessecary. But damn it tasted good...

ingredients...
    1 medium brioche loaf (20p yellow stickered in morrisons)
    handful of currants
    an apple, chopped pretty small
    squirty honey
    demerera sugar
    some butter
    3/4 - 1 pint milk
    2 eggs
    a couple tbps sugar
    small splash vanilla essence

Butter the bread, then stack in a greased pyrex dish in layers, scattering some currants, apple and a thin swirl of honey between each layer.

stick a decent sized knob of butter in a saucepan, add milk, eggs, sugar vanilla and keep mixing until hot and thickened. then pour straight over bread.

shake the bowl about, and maybe poke some holes and lift with a knife to make sure the custard gets to the bottom. then sprinkle with a bit of demerera and put in a medium oven (170 ish) until nice and brown.

and enjoy with some nice ice cream.... YUM
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jul 05, 9:19 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 29th Jul 05, 9:19 AM
    • 29th Jul 05, 9:19 AM
    Right So could you add this one to our Old Style Recipe Collection please?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • tr3mor
    • 29th Jul 05, 9:37 AM
    • 29th Jul 05, 9:37 AM
    done and done.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Jul 05, 9:43 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 29th Jul 05, 9:43 AM
    • 29th Jul 05, 9:43 AM
    So I see thank you
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Maisie
    • 29th Jul 05, 9:48 AM
    • 29th Jul 05, 9:48 AM
    for special occasions try a drop of liqueur on the bottom layer of bread!

I put grated nutmeg on top or a pinch of ground cinammon scattered over.

for sheer indulgence half cream/half milk!
  • ET03
    • 29th Jul 05, 10:01 AM
    • 29th Jul 05, 10:01 AM
    I often use the teacake loaves to make this
    about 40p in asda
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin