Which console?

Easy question (I hope) - when my Xbox 360 finally gives up the ghost, what should I replace it with?

I'm only an occasional gamer so I don't need the latest super-duper version but I'm thinking PS4 or Xbox One? More importantly, why?

Everyone I've asked who has an Xbox says stay with Xbox as it's familiar and it's backwards compatible but everyone who has a PS4 says it's more than just a console.

Ooh decisions, decisions.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Easy question (I hope) - when my Xbox 360 finally gives up the ghost, what should I replace it with?

I'm only an occasional gamer so I don't need the latest super-duper version but I'm thinking PS4 or Xbox One? More importantly, why?

Everyone I've asked who has an Xbox says stay with Xbox as it's familiar and it's backwards compatible but everyone who has a PS4 says it's more than just a console.

Ooh decisions, decisions.

What have your friends said the ps4 can do other than play games ?

They both play dvds, I know the Xbox One can play Blu Rays. Can also get the TV adapter to watch Freeview if you wish.

Ive always been Xbox so will say go with Xbox, do you go online ?
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,344
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Isn't the Xbox One considered more of a home theatre console whereas Sony have went back to just focusing on the PS4 as a games console?

It often depends on what console your friends have, but if you don't play online with friends, then that doesn't help you choose. In terms of games, the PS4 has more exclusive titles like Unhcarted 4, Streetfighter, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, but the Xbox has a few of its own, Forza, Gears of War, Halo.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If your mates have xbox or if you prefer xbox exclusives go with that. Otherwise i would go for ps4. Playstation is better in my opinion, it has uncharted, the last of us, horizon zero dawn etc.
    Ultimately though both will provide you with the fun you want.
  • donnajunkie
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    What have your friends said the ps4 can do other than play games ?

They both play dvds, I know the Xbox One can play Blu Rays. Can also get the TV adapter to watch Freeview if you wish.

Ive always been Xbox so will say go with Xbox, do you go online ?

Playstation plays blurays too. It doesnt currently play cds. Regarding blurays if you want 4k you may need to get the xbox one x.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    No, I don't play online - my stepson set up a gold membership thing online as he was using the 360 as well but I've never used it. My 360 console is still connected to the internet but I'm not sure why really - I have had the odd update.

I've been told that the PS4 can act as a media centre as well - I'm guessing that means you can download apps such as netflix & youtube?

I don't own any blurays, only DVDs which I know I can play through my existing Xbox.

I know it sounds like a small thing but the Xbox crowd have said if I'm used an Xbox controller then the PS4 will feel weird, but I guess it's only a matter of time to get used to something else.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No, I don't play online - my stepson set up a gold membership thing online as he was using the 360 as well but I've never used it. My 360 console is still connected to the internet but I'm not sure why really - I have had the odd update.

I've been told that the PS4 can act as a media centre as well - I'm guessing that means you can download apps such as netflix & youtube?

I don't own any blurays, only DVDs which I know I can play through my existing Xbox.

I know it sounds like a small thing but the Xbox crowd have said if I'm used an Xbox controller then the PS4 will feel weird, but I guess it's only a matter of time to get used to something else.

I wasn't sure how Id find the Xbox One controller when Id used the 360 one for a while but it was fine.

Any chance you could have a go on a controller at a friends or see if your local Game store have the console setup with a demo playing.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,344
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Both can be used as a media centre, but the Xbox One is supposedly the superior. You can get things like Netflix, YouTube, Plex and play DVD's on both, if you have a PC you can play movie files from your PC through your Xbox easily too.

It was the PS3 that was well rated as a media centre, the PS4 isn't as good as its predecessor. Both it & Xbox One have been improved since release, particularly the Xbox One as Microsoft want it to be a media centre whereas Sony want to focus on the gaming aspect.
  • ifstar
    ifstar Posts: 487
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can use Kodi on the xbox one which you can't do on the playstation. If you've got games on the 360 then they could well be backwards compatible with the xbox one.

If you are used to the xbox controller then you'll manage with the xbox one controller fine. The xbox one x is the most powerful console just now and even without a 4k tv, it will still run most games better.
  • donnajunkie
    Forumite

Yes, if you are used to one controller it will take a bit of time to get used to the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure