Should I convert to Economy 7?

amtrakuk
amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
edited 13 April 2018 at 3:33PM in Energy
It is the time of year I have turned my heating off.

As I take daily meter readings my meter readings have gone from about 45-55 units a day with it on to about 15 units a day - that's the only change I have done so obviously the heating is 3/4 of my energy usage.

I put the heating on roughly in November and try turning it off at the end of march.

Once the heating is on it stays on (rads running on thermostats) and the house remains comfortable.

I do not use gas.

I am aware that the peek rate is more expensive and in the past I have said E7 is a trick but now I see how much I'm using for heating I'm wondering on this basis should I convert to Economy 7. My provider said they will happily change my meter free.

There are tools on the net to see if I should keep economy 7 but there doesn't appear to be anything for someone considering E7 due to winter heating costs.

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    The 'exam question' is what sort of heating are you talking about? E7 tariffs are great for insomniacs and owners of storage heaters but of little benefit to those who want electric heating on during the day.
  • amtrakuk
    Ballpark figures

Total heating capacity = 107.1 Kw over 6 heaters (assuming all charging for the 7 hours total)

That seems a lot more than the 40 Units the radiators are using. Does that sound right?
  • amtrakuk
    Hengus wrote: »
    The 'exam question' is what sort of heating are you talking about? E7 tariffs are great for insomniacs and owners of storage heaters but of little benefit to those who want electric heating on during the day.

Speaking from people who has had experience of them in the past say people didn't understand how to use them properly - leaving the boost flap open during charging and wondering why the heaters ran out of puff in the early evening?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If they are storage heaters yes.

E7 and storage heaters were designed to go hand in hand.

But for maximum :money:no point rushing. Wait until a August to change over and you will see the true winter benefit.

Investigate the last posts in this thread. Dread to think what the day rate is though

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5826734
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,

what do you mean '(rads running on thermostats)', do you mean panel heaters?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,675
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes we need to know the heating system. Electric boiler?

If it's some form of real time heating not storage, look at the E10 tariff, the off peak times are better suited to real time or small capacity storage (like an electric storage boiler) with only the early evening being difficult to avoid peak rate usage.

Or look at a heat pump and get down close to gas prices for heating.
  • amtrakuk
    Hi,

what do you mean '(rads running on thermostats)', do you mean panel heaters?

Yeah, a mix of 2 and 1 kW wall mounted oil filled rads.
  • amtrakuk
    ProDave wrote: »
    Yes we need to know the heating system. Electric boiler?

If it's some form of real time heating not storage, look at the E10 tariff, the off peak times are better suited to real time or small capacity storage (like an electric storage boiler) with only the early evening being difficult to avoid peak rate usage.

Or look at a heat pump and get down close to gas prices for heating.

Hi Dave.

At the moment I have a 210 litre thermal store running 2 x 3kW elements and a mix of wall mounted Dimplex mk 1 oil filled rads.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    An oil filled radiator does not get its energy from a themal store - it's an on demand heater that connected to the electricity supply and uses power when you require heat.

A thermal store usually heats water on off-peak electricity and then provides heat during the day when it's required via conventional radiators. It's provides also your hot water as well.

So what actually do you have and how do you use it. How is it controlled. What the make and model of the store and have you got pipes running around the house to radiators or are they just wired in.

A bit more info is required before anyone can understand what you've got
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • 45-55 units a day representing 3/4 of my energy usage with a mix a of 2 and 1 kW oil filled panels and a 210 litre thermal water store all drawing on expensive peak rate

- about ± £30% more expensive
    - thermal store or just a bog standard top-feed immersion heater ?
    - - name [or picture of] the thermal store ?
    - name or [or picture of]the water controller ?
    - name of current electricity tariff ?
    - 5/12ths for 5 months or is the water 12/12 months ?
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure