PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Sign new Tenancy Agreement or benefits will be suspended?

Hello.

Got a letter from my landlords agent on 10th March
stating that 'they will no longer be the agents from 1st April 2018.

The new agents will contact you from this date.'

Got a letter today from new 'landlords' stating that 'your landlord should have informed you about the sale of this property.You will be dealing with this letting agent in future.

If you are on HB / UC you need to sign the tenancy agreement asap. If you do not your benefits will be suspended by the council.

If you are a private tenant cancel any standing orders with yr previous landlord.

It is imperitive you sign asap.'

I don't want to sign a new AST because I'm looking for another place, I've been offered a flat by a crappy housing association but am more hopeful of getting a house nearby but it's taking a while to come on the market.

My rent gets paid by council direct to landlord with top ups paid by standing order this week.

It's a long while since I signed a tenancy agreement, I've been at this address for 6 years, so it must be a periodic.

I'm pretty sure my landlord owns both the old and new letting agents.

Could be paranoid but I wonder if the housing association got in touch with original letting agents for a reference and they have gone - hang on we need to keep this chap - or maybe it's coincidence.

I need time but it's the bit in bold as per thread title that concerns me most.

If I sign it then I'll be bound to stay for however long it's for.
If I don't then they say the council will stop my benefits.

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Mr_Gnu wrote: »
    Hello.

Got a letter from my landlords agent on 10th March
    stating that 'they will no longer be the agents from 1st April 2018.

The new agents will contact you from this date.'

Got a letter today from new 'landlords' stating that 'your landlord should have informed you about the sale of this property.You will be dealing with this letting agent in future.

If you are on HB / UC you need to sign the tenancy agreement asap. If you do not your benefits will be suspended by the council.

If you are a private tenant cancel any standing orders with yr previous landlord.

It is imperitive you sign asap.'

I don't want to sign a new AST because I'm looking for another place, I've been offered a flat by a crappy housing association but am more hopeful of getting a house nearby but it's taking a while to come on the market.

My rent gets paid by council direct to landlord with top ups paid by standing order this week.

It's a long while since I signed a tenancy agreement, I've been at this address for 6 years, so it must be a periodic.

Could be paranoid but I wonder if the housing association got in touch with original letting agents for a reference and they have gone - hang on we need to keep this chap - or maybe it's coincidence.

I need time but it's the bit in bold as per thread title that concerns me most.

If I sign it then I'll be bound to stay for however long it's for.
    If I don't then they say the council will stop my benefits.

Sounds like the usual 24 carat letting agent BS to me.

Have you contacted the council and asked them what happens regarding your housing benefit if there's a change of landlord?
  • Mr_Gnu
    Mr_Gnu Posts: 108
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Sounds like the usual 24 carat letting agent BS to me.

Have you contacted the council and asked them what happens regarding your housing benefit if there's a change of landlord?

It sure does Pixie.

No not yet but I presume they will pay the new landlord (same as the old landlord but different co. ;) ) after I sign this new ATC , which I don't want to sign if I can help it.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It sure does Pixie.

No not yet but I presume they will pay the new landlord (same as the old landlord but different co. ;) ) after I sign this new ATC , which I don't want to sign if I can help it.

But what you need to ask them is whether they will continue to pay even if you don't sign the new AST.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,453
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ask, calm & polite, for proof of ownership change (ie documents)

Or spend £3 with land registry & see who name of owner is & address. Oddly, you don't have to own a place to be landlord.

You do not have to agree to be r sign any new tenancy agreement not agree to any changes of existing agreement.

Landlord and/or agent are trying to fiddle something, not sure what.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Forumite
    Do you have a family? If not, what makes you think you will receive sufficient HB to rent "a house nearby"?

"Crappy housing association". Many people would give their eye teeth to rent from an HA rather than a private LL.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My rent gets paid by council direct to landlord
    Are you absolutely 100% sure about that?
    Not to the letting agent?

I think that's massively unlikely, tbh.

Coincidence is most likely, especially with the changeover (more or less) coinciding with the end of a tax year.
  • Mr_Gnu
    Mr_Gnu Posts: 108
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ask, calm & polite, for proof of ownership change (ie documents)

Or spend £3 with land registry & see who name of owner is & address. Oddly, you don't have to own a place to be landlord.

You do not have to agree to be r sign any new tenancy agreement not agree to any changes of existing agreement.

Landlord and/or agent are trying to fiddle something, not sure what.

Is this true if the house has been 'sold' to a different landlord though?
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Do you have a family? If not, what makes you think you will receive sufficient HB to rent "a house nearby"?

"Crappy housing association". Many people would give their eye teeth to rent from an HA rather than a private LL.

I'm renting a house now so no change there.

It's a reknowned crappy HA. I'm not saying all HA's are crappy.

They are known for lies and intimidating people with mental health issues.Though the flat is ok and in good locale but with limited internet.
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Are you absolutely 100% sure about that?
    Not to the letting agent?

I think that's massively unlikely, tbh.

Coincidence is most likely, especially with the changeover (more or less) coinciding with the end of a tax year.

Letting agent, sorry.

Good point about tax year,coincidence likely then.

I had better contact the new agents, and the council. Very confused.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It doesn't matter if the property has been sold and you have a new landlord, your tenancy continues exactly the same as it did before. Legally there is absolutely no requirement to sign a new tenancy agreement. However, the new landlord, or an agent acting on his behalf, should WRITE to you informing you of the new address for the serving of notices and the new account details for your standing order. I imagine the council will also need to be informed of the new account details so that is what you need to ask the council - what information does the council require when there's a change of landlord.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,863
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The new letting agent may wish to supply a new tenancy agreement to the council as proof that you are renting. It may smooth the way for the council to pay the letting agent the rent.

It is quite rare for the council to pay private landlords (or their agents) direct nowadays, so I'm guessing that the letting agent doesn't want to risk the council paying you HB direct and expecting you to pay the rent.

Either way it is your obligation to make sure the rent is paid, so worth you contacting the council.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,453
    Forumite
    The wise new landlord in these circumstances drops round with cake for a brief chat, says they are very happy to offer a new tenancy at reduced rent (say £50/month) to give tenant re-assurance and all sorted.

The dumb landlord writes saying you MUST sign new tenancy... or even tries to increase rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure