Dealer and failed MOT

jojo1974
jojo1974 Posts: 50
I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
Hi

I’m after some advice regarding a recent car purchase.

We recently brought a car from an independent dealer. The MOT expired in September but they said that they would put a New Years MOT on it.

When we collected the car we were told the paperwork for the new MOT was in the car. Anyway we drove it home and then found out the paperwork was actually a refusal of MOT and it had failed to pass. I shall be calling the garage tomorrow but want to be prepared.

1. Have they broken the law as they said it would have a years MOG and doesn’t? and 2. Because it had failed does that overwrite the previous MOT that expires in September? 3. Is the car technically not road worthy?

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Might have failed and then retested and passed. Why don’t you check online?
  • jojo1974
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Ive checked online and it!!!8217;s showing MOT expires September and not April
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What!!!8217;s it failed on?
  • jojo1974
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    It!!!8217;s just a lamp but I!!!8217;m more concerned whether it means the September MOT is voided
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jojo1974 wrote: »
    It!!!8217;s just a lamp but I!!!8217;m more concerned whether it means the September MOT is voided

it was in the paper the other day that if you have a failed mot it will be on the vosa system as no MOT on the car
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    newbie1980 wrote: »
    it was in the paper the other day that if you have a failed mot it will be on the vosa system as no MOT on the car

No, the failure and reason why will be on the system. The previous mot is still valid.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Were you able to tax it?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    3. Is the car technically not road worthy?

If the reason it failed hasn't been rectified then that is exactly the state it is in. You say it is a light though so if its just a blown bulb or an indicator not orange enough then its a quick fix that you can most likely do yourself or get done at Halfords for probably less than it'll cost you to take the car back to the dealer.

Currently a MOT fail doesn't invalidate an existing MOT, from next month that changes with the new MOT rules.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    how quickly is the system updated? Maybe its not on yet.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Currently a MOT fail doesn't invalidate an existing MOT, from next month that changes with the new MOT rules.

Not quite. Even under the revised rules, a fail won't invalidate the old MOT. What it will do is make it easier for the police (if you're lucky enough to see one!) to see that there was a dangerous fault and that you were aware of it.

But the old MOT will still be valid:

Say you put it in early and it fails on a "dangerous" tyre fault and some welding. If you replace the tyre and get the welding done then you can still continue to drive on the old MOT without getting it retested (because the faults have been rectified) even under the new rules.

That's a potentially important distinction because it means they can't use the new rules to introduce ticketing-by-post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure