Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 15th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    • 403Posts
    • 200Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Victims were tricked out of £236m
    • 15th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    MSE News: Victims were tricked out of £236m 15th Mar 18 at 4:17 PM
    Victims were tricked into transferring £236 million to fraudsters' accounts last year, latest figures show...
    Read the full story:
    'Fraudsters tricked victims into transferring £236 million'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 18th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 7,124 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 18th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 18th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    My aunt lost everything through being duped in this way.

Meanwhile, a friend's friend was convicted of this type of fraud and sentenced to 4.5 years. So now, after less than two years, he is in an open prison being prepared for home visits and will be out in a few months.

Guess what.. he had already been convicted of this fraud before. Served a short sentence and was doing it again within weeks of release, making initial contact with a potential contact whilst still banged up.

My aunt and uncle's lives have been wrecked. They were only guilty of being naive and trusting. Their "sentence" will never end.

We are too weak.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 18th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 1,465 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 18th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 18th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    Older people are often accused of being stupid and, no doubt, some of them are. But there probably an equal number of stupid younger people, who would fall for exactly the same scam.
    I think older people are just more trusting, more willing to accept people at face value. It's the way life used to be, and it's very difficult to make them see things differently.
    Sorry for your aunts misfortune, Chattychappy.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

1,831Users online

Martin's Twitter