Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,980Posts
    • 12,232Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Heres to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look its called Scrimping Behind the Scenes with Debt of 31,000! (sorry, I cant manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I dont have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employers final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employers company scheme and both they and I pay into this though again its not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a people clear out.

Im rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my Emergency Fund. It currently stands at 3,000- but I would like to see it at 10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with 1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have 10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have 26.90 left spending money and 18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: 646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: Paid off the 31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!
Page 36
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Last couple of nights I didn't post - had to get my nails done on Monday evening as my appointment was postponed last week due to the bad weather. Last night my friend popped round before she goes off on her hols.

I've had an email from one of the pension providers that I'm transferring from. They've received all the bumph from my works pension, but apparently can't connect up my passport details with my home address, which is weird because I haven't moved since my passport was taken out. Though I've had problems with my address when applying for credit cards in the past as, because I live in a flat, my address sometimes differs slightly from the address the companies hold on their search records and the application gets rejected. So I've now got to provide two recent utility bills! I'm envisaging that the other two providers will be asking the same as well shortly! It's never easy is it!

Have to sign off now as I'm typing this in work so will catch up with diaries tonight.

SSG x

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,662 Thanks
    redofromstart
    That must be really frustrating, hope its easy to sort. Harder in these days of online bills.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks redo - all my financial affairs are carried out online these days and I don't have any statements or bills sent to me through the post. However they haven't said I can't submit online downloads - they didn't even ask for a certified copy of my passport, just a copy. But annoyingly because I haven't got a printer at home I've tried to download and print statements at work, but the firewall here is stopping the downloads! So I now have to wait till I get up to DD's at the weekend and download and print from there!

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,375 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Can you screen shot and print out?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,268.93, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 247.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 9th Mar 18, 3:29 AM
    • 799 Posts
    • 2,028 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Thanks very much Scott. All ok now apart from the odd little cough! I'm still trundling on with the surveys - stuck at 16.76 with PA though have gone up to 18.40 with Opinium (have to get to 24 before payout here).
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    You know what i am going to see re PA lol just drop it down lol. I am on something like 1.45 on opinium.

Thanks btw for popping down regularly when i was well going through a yak phase on my diary
    Cashback Earnings YTD 46.04 Survey Earnings YTD 182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Can you screen shot and print out?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Hi inod - I can't actually open the download into a pdf to take a screen shot. Very annoying!

You know what i am going to see re PA lol just drop it down lol. I am on something like 1.45 on opinium.

Thanks btw for popping down regularly when i was well going through a yak phase on my diary
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland
    I'm so pleased that you are feeling better Scott and are back hitting the surveys as only you do!

I'm at DD's so thought I would make an early start for a change with my diary. I wanted to catch up on the train last night but Virgin East Coast WiFi was on the blink!

Had a result at work yesterday - got my pay rise - only really in line with cost of living, but better than nothing. I'm at the top end of my peer group pay scale and as I'm don't bring in revenue or manage staff I wouldnt think this is going to change much now on the run up to retirement. The good result was my bonus which after tax will pay for my new kitchen with hopefully a bit left over so I don't have to draw down the tax free cash from my pension. . So I will start looking into kitchens next month when the weather is more spring like.

DD and OH picked me up from the station last night - we went for a really good meal at their little local Thai restaurant - which was my treat. Today DD and I are having a mooch around town and tonight I'm being taken for a Mother's Day dinner instead of lunch tomorrow.

Tomorrow we're going to go out for early brunch and miss the madness of the Mother's Day lunch routine. Hopefully seeing 'I Tonya' at the cinema in the evening.

Have a good Saturday everyone!

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 10th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Great news on the pay and bonus. Will be interested to hear what you pick as a kitchen .

Have a great weekend with DD and OH . It all sounds great .

Even the weather is warmer .
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks Cumbria!

I'm going to have a look online at the Howdens website. Was thinking perhaps nice light grey cupboards with white marble tops and splashbacks........ Hmmm - not sure - will have to have a good peruse! Tbh I'll be so pleased to get it done - it looks so shabby compared to the rest of the flat!

Yep weather has certainly warmed up thank goodness!

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 10th Mar 18, 5:24 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Ooh.. like the sound of that and to be paid for from the bonus...thats a great result..well done you

Enjoy the meals and the cinema...xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 25/500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,516 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    My new kitchen is from Howdens - can recommend. I had cream units with light oak work tops but kept changing my mind right up to the last minute.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 296.07
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,662 Thanks
    redofromstart
    A friend of mine had a howdens one, it was lovely and nicely made. I just like looking at the options
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Mar 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Ooh.. like the sound of that and to be paid for from the bonus...thats a great result..well done you

Enjoy the meals and the cinema...xx
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    My new kitchen is from Howdens - can recommend. I had cream units with light oak work tops but kept changing my mind right up to the last minute.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    A friend of mine had a howdens one, it was lovely and nicely made. I just like looking at the options
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thank you ladies - I've been taking a quick look on the website this morning - lots of lovely ideas - quite spoilt for choice. Will have to get down to it and have a really good look when I get home. The bonus will get paid with my end April wages so will really get going with the planning etc next month.

SA - my friend has the Howden cream units (shaker style) with the oak tops - they look lovely.

Yesterday we went into town and had a nice brunch - I had delicious Bircher muesli, latte and pecan pie! Then went mooching - DD bought a gorgeous grey sleeveless cashmere top in a boutique that she frequents (she's the money bags of the family), and then her OH miraculously appeared when it was time to visit the lingerie shop! ( funny that). Wandered round a bit more then called it a day as rain started pelting down.

Big drama when we got home - DD rather foolishly draped her new top on the bed. Cue Madam Ginger Cat who spied it - ha ha a new thing I can lie on! Claw then caught in top. Howls and lots of profanity emanates from DD. After being untangled the Queen of Fr*gg*n' Everything calmly stalks off with tail held high.....

Drove out in the evening to a new Nordic type restaurant not far from DD's and had a really appetising Mother's Day dinner - then home and finished evening with some more wine and latest episode of Troy.

Just waiting for everyone to get ready and then out for a bit of brunch. Cinema this evening - and oh - as DD and OH went away for Christmas and New Year we'll be exchanging some pressies later - on Mother's Day instead.

Hers to a Happy Mother's Day to all you mums out there! Hope all your families remember to spoil you!

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,662 Thanks
    redofromstart
    First rule of cats - never sleep on the bed when you could sleep on something on the bed. Hope the top is ok!

Cat dramas aside, it sounds like you are having a lovely weekend.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Mar 18, 10:44 AM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks redo - yes enjoying myself immensely - love spending time with them all.

Luckily only a small pull on the top after the Cashmere and Cat incident We finally managed to talk DD off the roof......

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,375 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Can just picture the cat's disdain as she saunters off. Hilarious
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,268.93, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 247.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Looked at Howdens kitchens, they all look really nice . I think a grey one is a good choice though. Your weekend sounds brilliant , and hope the rest has gone well. Had to laugh at the cat , hope DD is off the ceiling now .
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 11th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 7,274 Thanks
    117pauline
    Everyone who lives with a cat appreciates your DD's pain.

It sounds like you have had a fantastic weekend. They are to be cherished, aren't they?

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Can just picture the cat's disdain as she saunters off. Hilarious
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Looked at Howdens kitchens, they all look really nice . I think a grey one is a good choice though. Your weekend sounds brilliant , and hope the rest has gone well. Had to laugh at the cat , hope DD is off the ceiling now .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Everyone who lives with a cat appreciates your DD's pain.

It sounds like you have had a fantastic weekend. They are to be cherished, aren't they?

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Originally posted by 117pauline
    Thanks guys - DD has forgiven her baby - or should it be the other way around? Who knows what goes on in little catty heads!

Finished my weekend at the cinema with DD - saw ' I Tonya' which we really enjoyed. Very black comedy and skating scenes were excellent. At the end when the credits rolled they run a Film of the real Tonya Harding when she first performed the triple axle - you forget what a great skater she was.

Back to work now. . Nice surprise though this afternoon. DSis called as she had come up to town for a hospital appointment and wanted to know if we could meet up after I finished work. So we did and went to a City burger bar which has had a good rep. No desserts served though and no coffee - only beer, soft drinks or wine! So at least I didn't consume extra calories by having a pudding! But we had an extra glass of wine to take the place of the coffee!

So I'll be pulling in my horns now for the rest of the month. See how many non-budgeted NSDs I can knock up till payday!

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Mar 18, 9:52 PM
    • 6,606 Posts
    • 13,842 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    We are going for a Howdens kitchen too. They have their sale in October and apparently give massive discounts then so we are waiting until September before ordering.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Mar 18, 9:55 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thank you so much for letting me know ES. Didn't know that. I think I might just wait until then!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,221Posts Today

8,583Users online

Martin's Twitter