Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smiler34
    • By smiler34 6th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    • 426Posts
    • 908Thanks
    smiler34
    Recipes for people who hate vegetables
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    Recipes for people who hate vegetables 6th Mar 18 at 11:43 AM
    Hi all,

Can I have some meal ideas, preferably recipes that contain hidden veggies that a self proclaimed carnivore would eat.

Thanks
    Mummy to two beautiful girls and one gorgeous boy.
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 6th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 7,336 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    Any type of tomato based sauce can have veg hidden in it...

Boil/steam any combination of veg & puree it down then add it to the other sauce. Used to use this to hide veggies in my childrens pasta sauces when they were small & adamant they didn't like veg!
    Does dim arian 'da fi, ond breuddwydion 'da fi.

Gwlad yr Ia & Columbia (no Welsh word for Columbia)
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 6th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 3,989 Posts
    • 13,575 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    ALL vegetables? Flavours and textures as diverse as aubergine, pepper, sweetcorn, cauliflower and carrot?

The obvious one is to make pasta sauce with onions, peppers and courgettes blended with tomatoes.

Is Colcannon, mash with onion and cabbage partially visible, a possibility?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 30,626 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    They will always eat chips, so roast some parsnips and carrots, with tatties and call them game chips!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 6th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 8,372 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    I have been known to cook a butternut squash in with my Moroccan lamb stew and then mash it in to the sauce (which will thicken the stew).
    Non vegetable eater never said a word - munched away very happily.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 +
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £2280/£6,000
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Mar 18, 11:23 PM
    • 24,386 Posts
    • 96,531 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:23 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:23 PM
    That phrase 'self proclaimed carnivore' suggests a fully grown person.

I suggest pointing them in the direction of the kitchen and leaving them to it, rather sneaking vegetables into sauces like you would a recalcitrant three year old.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 7th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Exactly! Sad init.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 7th Mar 18, 8:18 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 7,064 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:18 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:18 AM
    I used to make this when DD was 3:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1508645/pasta-with-tomato-and-hidden-veg-sauce
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 54,567 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:40 AM

I suggest pointing them in the direction of the kitchen and leaving them to it, rather sneaking vegetables into sauces like you would a recalcitrant three year old.
    Covert administration is an ethical minefield
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 7th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 24,386 Posts
    • 96,531 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Covert administration is an ethical minefield
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Management Decision. You eat what I cook (which includes things like vegetables) or you cook for yourself. I've got better things to do with my time than faff around with blending things so you can't see them. If you have a hissy fit at the thought of something green contaminating your plate of beige, you deal with the scurvy, osteoporosis, constipation and other diseases that are caused through the lack of vegetable consumption.

Otherwise known as the I'm Not Your Bl**dy Mother Protocol.

(I eat what I'm given when the OH cooks. If I don't want it because it's truly foul, I'm perfectly capable of making something for myself. His choice, my choice. We're grownups.)
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 20,184 Posts
    • 54,163 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I must admit that I've got both feet in JoJo's camp but it would be interesting to know if it's all vegetables that won't be eaten (and why) or if it's just certain ones.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 7th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 36,746 Posts
    • 473,011 Thanks
    pigpen

abso-flipping-lutely...

I hate most veg and I, being of sound mind and knowing I need to eat them or I will die (literally as meat makes me ill) I pile my plate high and tuck in.. Though I will not eat cauliflower, kale or asparagus.. I draw the line at all things inedible!

Eat it or starve or fend for yourself are the words given to my adult children.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 £53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 7th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    rach_k
    Jamie Oliver's 7 veg sauce is good for pasta, pizza sauce etc. You can vary the veg.

More info would be good. Are any vegetables liked? What have you tried already? A roasted cauliflower is very different to a boiled cauliflower and that's very different to an over-boiled mushy cauliflower!
    • More4me
    • By More4me 8th Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    More4me
    In my experience people avoid vegetables because they think, once cooked veg becomes too soft and slimey. My DD will happily munch raw peppers but will avoid when cooked, may be way I cook.

lots of vegetables can be used raw. Use carrots, peppers, green salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumbers etc as salads with dressing of your choice.

If you are adventurous look in to other types of cuisine where veg are cooked with different flavours and spices.

I belive If the veg haters are engaged in the meal preparation then they will begin to appreciate the veg. They become aware of what they will be eating, what is good about this veg, how would they like it cooked.
    More
    • Lleucu
    • By Lleucu 9th Mar 18, 2:37 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Lleucu
    British Indian Restaurant style curry sauce (loads of recipes online/You Tube) contains a pile of vegetables. Make up and use for simple curries freeze and use later, spice to your and family's taste. Lovely with fresh ginger, minced garlic and coriander, counter intuitive because the veg are simmered in water for a long time.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 9th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 36,746 Posts
    • 473,011 Thanks
    pigpen
    In my experience people avoid vegetables because they think, once cooked veg becomes too soft and slimey. My DD will happily munch raw peppers but will avoid when cooked, may be way I cook.

lots of vegetables can be used raw. Use carrots, peppers, green salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumbers etc as salads with dressing of your choice.

I belive If the veg haters are engaged in the meal preparation then they will begin to appreciate the veg. They become aware of what they will be eating, what is good about this veg, how would they like it cooked.
    Originally posted by More4me
    Not everyone!

I find raw veg really hard to chew.. I regularly choke on raw carrot.. I love it and nibble it while doing dinner but always end up with it in my lungs! I don't eat any other raw veg.

And food prep is the surest way to stop me eating it.. by the time it is cooked I don't want any of it. I don't think it is mushy.. I barely warm it through because sloppy veg is disgusting and not good for you at all as all the nutrition is gone.. it is soft but not crunchy or mush.

I'm a hardcore veg avoider (overgrown toddler) clearly hahaha...

I simply act like a grown up and eat as much of it as I possibly can.. I haven't yet died! One of the joys of being an adult is realising you shouldn't try to live on a diet of Haribo and Nice biscuits and tea..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 £53528.71 (2.41% int.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,221Posts Today

8,583Users online

Martin's Twitter