Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alan1944
    • By Alan1944 6th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Alan1944
    Phantom Cash Machine Withdrawals
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    Phantom Cash Machine Withdrawals 6th Mar 18 at 10:59 PM
    For some years I have experienced occasional phantom cash withdrawals from my current account. I keep a record of my spending, including cash so I am sure these withdrawals have not been due to forgetfulness, as the bank suggests and my cash spending balances with the cash I take out. The phantom withdrawal is always from a machine that I have used recently, for the usual amount I take out (30) and at a similar time of day to my last transaction. I first noticed this when I used the HSBC bank in the centre of Norwich (where I lived at the time) and ceased when I changed to using the cash machines in the nearby Lloyds bank. I have now moved to Sheffield and I experienced the same thing from a cash machine in my local Co-Op store, so I changed to using the machine at a nearby Sainsbury's. And just this week another phantom withdrawal has occurred from a Virgin Money machine at Sheffield railway station. This showed up as Onenote on my statement. I know this is not my failing memory, or a family member using my card or my having mislaid my card and PIN at any time. However, as these are small amounts (30) each time, I have chosen to write them off and not make a fuss. Has anyone else had this experience?
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Mar 18, 12:02 AM
    • 24,883 Posts
    • 12,071 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:02 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:02 AM
    No because IMO they did not happen as you wrote it.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 7th Mar 18, 6:14 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:14 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:14 AM
    Either you're lying, forgetting, or have a friend/family member borrowing your card to steal your money.

It's no more complex than those options.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 7th Mar 18, 6:18 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:18 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:18 AM
    Spooky. Have you contacted ghostbusters?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    Small amounts? 30? On each occasion? That adds up to a bigger number.

I would suggest requesting a new card and PIN as a start
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 7th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    BooJewels
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    Did you not change your PIN after the first one, that would eliminate the possibility of someone 'borrowing' your card for a short while?

If I were dishonest and wanted to commit such a crime, keeping the fraudulent act as close to reality as possible would be much less likely to arouse suspicion, where using a cash machine you never went near would ring alarm bells much faster.

I would suggest giving careful thought to your routine and where your card was supposed to be at the time of these 'ghost' transactions might help solve the mystery. And as Gary suggested, change your PIN immediately and request a new card.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 7th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    I have chosen to write them off and not make a fuss. Has anyone else had this experience?
    Originally posted by Alan1944
    No. Nobody here would write that off and not make a fuss. In fact I doubt anyone here actually believes your story.

There's another explanation, but sadly as you're a new poster this will be another thread that, like "Dexter" has no satisfactory ending.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 7th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    camelot1971
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    11pm newbie poster. I wonder if some people are drunk when they decide to post nonsense on here. What do they get out of it?
    • d123
    • By d123 7th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    For some years I have experienced occasional phantom cash withdrawals from my current account. I keep a record of my spending, including cash so I am sure these withdrawals have not been due to forgetfulness, as the bank suggests and my cash spending balances with the cash I take out. The phantom withdrawal is always from a machine that I have used recently, for the usual amount I take out (30) and at a similar time of day to my last transaction. I first noticed this when I used the HSBC bank in the centre of Norwich (where I lived at the time) and ceased when I changed to using the cash machines in the nearby Lloyds bank. I have now moved to Sheffield and I experienced the same thing from a cash machine in my local Co-Op store, so I changed to using the machine at a nearby Sainsbury's. And just this week another phantom withdrawal has occurred from a Virgin Money machine at Sheffield railway station. This showed up as Onenote on my statement. I know this is not my failing memory, or a family member using my card or my having mislaid my card and PIN at any time. However, as these are small amounts (30) each time, I have chosen to write them off and not make a fuss. Has anyone else had this experience?
    1. You're making the withdrawals with your card.
    2. Someone you know is making the withdrawals with your card.
    3. This is a made up story.
    4. Jeremy Beadle is about.

It sounds like one of the above.
    ====
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 8th Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    sausage_time
    If these are attributable to Jeremy Beadle, then they most certainly are phantom withdrawals!
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 8th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    robatwork
    If these are attributable to Jeremy Beadle, then they most certainly are phantom withdrawals!
    Originally posted by sausage_time
    Amazing how someone who is so edgy and impressive on the radio turns out to be a total douche once they get on TV.

Beadle mostly, Evans not far behind.

This is about as on topic as the original post.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 8th Mar 18, 11:59 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 14,911 Thanks
    Westie983
    Originally posted by sausage_time
    or ghostly ones...

OP change your pin number so whomever is making the withdrawals is not able to do so any longer. If you log all withdrawals then it cant be you, unless you have a habit of forgetting the 2nd or 3rd withdrawal of the day.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 900/1,000 = 90.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 12,022.59/15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 9th Mar 18, 12:38 AM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 37,345 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    Is your name Jack A Nory ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin