Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 6th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 1,475Posts
    • 1,117Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Road works in Norwich
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    Road works in Norwich 6th Mar 18 at 1:21 PM
    Is anybody else having to endure the road works at Queen's road/Brazengate/Grove road in Norwich?

It's really confusing and the temporary signage is pants! If you are coming down Queen's road from Bracondale you can't turn left into Sainsbury's, but there's no advance warning of this until you reach the left filter lane(!) and there are no diversion signs telling you to go on to St Stephen's roundabout to come back the other way.

I've seen several drivers contravene the "No left turn" because it's so confusing and the signage is inadequate. In fact my wife was returning from a rowing club session a couple of weeks ago and rang me to ask "How do I get into Sainsbury's?". She couldn't turn in off Queen's road and had found herself outside the Trafford Arms with Grove road closed. She eventually went round again and ignored the "No left turn"!

I also think I may have gone through a red light on a temporary pedestrian crossing because it was placed so close to temporary lights for the Queen's road/Brazengate junction that I didn't realise what lights applied and where! I see today there are signs saying "BEWARE - PEDESTRIANS".

It must be a nightmare for Sainsbury's too. When the road works first started I went into the store at 5:30 pm on a Friday - what an error! Lot of cars on the access road I thought. I got into the car park and it was jammed with people trying to get out. The lights simply weren't set up properly.

VENT over.
Page 1
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 6th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 3,900 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    Is this to do with the pedestrianisation of Norwich City Centre? I'll be honest I'm dead against it. People forget that traders need access to Dixons. They do say it'll help people in wheelchairs.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 6th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    I think Norwich CC want to stop cars coming into the centre. Generally not a problem for us as we can walk into the city in 15 minutes. But if you want to do a weekly shop it's inconvenient. I can drive to Waitrose in Eaton quicker, but it's a relatively small store and the product range is not as good as Sainsbury's.

(I can buy interesting stuff in Waitrose that I can't find in Sainsbury's, but if I want to do a "general" shop, Sainsbury's is better).
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 6th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    Is this to do with the pedestrianisation of Norwich City Centre? I'll be honest I'm dead against it. People forget that traders need access to Dixons. They do say it'll help people in wheelchairs.
    Originally posted by ThumbRemote

Well that's good. I can see it's helped cyclists and pedestrians (and I'm both of those) but I'm not sure how wheelchair users have been helped!
    • photome
    • By photome 6th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 13,183 Posts
    • 8,736 Thanks
    photome
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    I think Norwich CC want to stop cars coming into the centre. Generally not a problem for us as we can walk into the city in 15 minutes. But if you want to do a weekly shop it's inconvenient. I can drive to Waitrose in Eaton quicker, but it's a relatively small store and the product range is not as good as Sainsbury's.

(I can buy interesting stuff in Waitrose that I can't find in Sainsbury's, but if I want to do a "general" shop, Sainsbury's is better).
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    Tesco at Harford must be close to you, as well, along with Asda on Hall rd not counting the Aldi!!!8217;s and Lidl!!!8217;s.

The council have completely fkd up the city centre ( for motorists)

And don!!!8217;t get me started on the postwick hub

Edit

No idea what all those numbers are doing amongst the text
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 6th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 7,728 Posts
    • 7,483 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    Originally posted by photome
    It's a new 'feature' of the forum apparently introduced to reduce the effect of spammers.
    Doesn't appear to be working entirely as it should.

You can make your posts easier to read by switching off Smart Punctuation on your ipad/iphone.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 7th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    Tesco at Harford must be close to you, as well, along with Asda on Hall rd not counting the Aldi!!!8217;s and Lidl!!!8217;s.

The council have completely fkd up the city centre ( for motorists)

And don!!!8217;t get me started on the postwick hub

Edit

Originally posted by photome

Yeah! It doesn't really bother us as we're just 15 mins walk from the city centre. But if you want to do a weekly shop it's a PITA. Mind you, the Grove Road bit seems to be open now if you are leaving Sainsbury's, but not if you are going in.

And don't get me started on Postwick either! The whole NDR is a disgrace.

In Norwich road works get done - and then need to be done again!

EDIT: Point taken about Tesco etc. but I'm a creature of habit (OCD?) and like Sainsbury's and Waitrose
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 07-03-2018 at 2:59 PM. Reason: ADD
    • izzitme
    • By izzitme 7th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    izzitme
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    It sounds as though your local council are similar to ours in Shrewsbury. Here is the headline from the local paper.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/transport/2018/03/07/a-disaster-shrewsbury-council-leader-calls-for-probe-into-roadworks/

We have been plagued by, seemingly pointless, roadworks for the best part of 12 months now, & still there is no end in sight.

The best part is, the resurfacing of the latest section has been delayed because "the weather has been too cold".

Who'd have thought that the weather would be cold in Winter?
    Going down the Oteley Road to see the Shrewsbury aces!
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 8th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    owen_money
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    Originally posted by ThumbRemote
    And keep the wolf from the door
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 8th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    It sounds as though your local council are similar to ours in Shrewsbury. Here is the headline from the local paper.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/transport/2018/03/07/a-disaster-shrewsbury-council-leader-calls-for-probe-into-roadworks/

We have been plagued by, seemingly pointless, roadworks for the best part of 12 months now, & still there is no end in sight.

The best part is, the resurfacing of the latest section has been delayed because "the weather has been too cold".

Who'd have thought that the weather would be cold in Winter?
    Originally posted by izzitme

Perhaps it should be called the Shrewsbury Home Integrated Transport Package?

I actually think Norwich City Council do a good job generally (I've praised refuse collection elsewhere on these boards) but the management of road works and traffic in general is hopeless.

I don't even understand what they are trying to do outside Sainsbury's. I'd like to know what the problem is that they are trying to "solve".
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 8th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Another example this morning.

I'm taking my wife to a meeting at county hall, going around the ring road counter-clockwise. We approach the main junction on Martineau lane going off right to somewhere called "Suffolk(?)" (never heard of it!) and there's a notice that the A47 eastbound is closed.

There are diversion signs, but the signs (strictly interpreted) divert you into county hall! There's a roundabout outside county hall on the ring road. First exit is county hall. Second exit continues you on the A47 diversion. But the diversion signs tell you to turn left, not go straight on!

If you weren't local, you wouldn't know where you should be going!
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 8th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Final vent!

For those of you familiar with Norwich...

You take the Trowse turn-off to go down Whitlingham Lane. As you approach Whitlingham Lane the speed limit changes from 30 to 20. (Fair enough - I think it's a potentially dangerous junction). Shortly after you get onto Whitlingham Lane it reverts to 30. There's a system of lighting and no repeaters so it remains a 30 limit. But then they've put up one of those speed reading "Slow Down!" signs which tell you to slow down if you are doing more than 20. But the limit is 30!

Personally I think 30 is too high there. But just do a Traffic Management Order (or what ever it is) and reduce the speed limit.

And of course, when you go further down Whitlingham Lane it becomes NSL - when it's at its turniest with no visibility - completely bonkers!
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 8th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    owen_money
    Its all the tractors and combine harvesters that I find a pain, and dont get me started on the cattle crossing the A47 at milking time
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 8th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Its all the tractors and combine harvesters that I find a pain, and dont get me started on the cattle crossing the A47 at milking time
    Originally posted by owen_money

I've not experienced cattle on the A47 at milking time, but have experienced tractors and combines on the A17! AAAAARRgHHHH!
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 8th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I just thought I'd look at the council website. Norwich City Council directs me to the county council site, and that directs me to roadworks.org

Apparently there are no road works in Norwich. News to me and many others!

EDIT: Are there any in Shrewsbury?
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 08-03-2018 at 4:39 PM. Reason: ADD
    • izzitme
    • By izzitme 8th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    izzitme
    I just thought I'd look at the council website. Norwich City Council directs me to the county council site, and that directs me to roadworks.org

Apparently there are no road works in Norwich. News to me and many others!

EDIT: Are there any in Shrewsbury?
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    Plenty of cones about, but no sign of any "workmen".
    Going down the Oteley Road to see the Shrewsbury aces!
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 13th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    A few weeks ago (during the ongoing road works) they installed a zebra crossing in the vicinity of the Brazengate/Grove Road junction. There used to be a pedestrian refuge in the middle of the road, but that's been removed. Last week they put Belisha beacons on the new zebra.

Now they've "scarified" (is that right?) several layers of tarmac all around the junction, presumably properly to reinstate the highway. So the new zebra has been scraped away, and there are exposed ironworks on the road, but no warnings to drivers!

EDIT: I don't know why they put a zebra in. They've put in several temporary pelicans. So why paint something on the road that you must know is going to disappear within a couple of weeks?
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 13-03-2018 at 3:47 PM. Reason: add
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin