Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Weleid
    • By MSE Weleid 1st Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 9Thanks
    MSE Weleid
    MSE News: Sky Q and Now TV customers will soon...
    • 1st Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    MSE News: Sky Q and Now TV customers will soon... 1st Mar 18 at 3:20 PM
    Sky has announced its Sky Q and Now TV customers will be able to include Netflix as part of their subscription in the next 12 months...
    Read the full story:
    'Sky Q and Now TV customers will soon be able to watch Netflix'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 1st Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    What does this mean for Sky+ customers?
    If you've got Sky+ you won't be able to access Netflix from your Sky+ box. To take advantage of the new entertainment package including Netflix, you'd have to upgrade to Sky Q which can be pricey.
    Lol, anyone surprised...
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 1st Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 1st Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    Lol, anyone surprised...
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Not really.

Sky HD is rapidly becoming old technology which will soon be obsolete and I doubt itíll be too long before Sky decide to drop it from their portfolio.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 1st Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    'Sky will make Netflix available through its latest box' does that mean through a completely new Sky Q box, or is Sky Q the latest box they are talking about?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 23,813 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    Sky HD is rapidly becoming old technology which will soon be obsolete and I doubt itíll be too long before Sky decide to drop it from their portfolio.
    Originally posted by lee111s
    Well, new Sky+HD decoders are already no longer available from Sky.
    ' does that mean through a completely new Sky Q box?
    Originally posted by sportsarb
    No new Sky Q decoder is currently on the horizon. Adding Netflix is simply a business deal between the two companies. It doesn't require any different technology.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 2nd Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    Not really.

Originally posted by lee111s
    ...but there are still a significant number of Sky customers using SD boxes (SOME without recording facilities).......and they haven't dropped them, albeit you can't purchase the packages!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 23,813 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    ...but there are still a significant number of Sky customers using SD boxes (SOME without recording facilities).......and they haven't dropped them, albeit you can't purchase the packages!
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Sky managed very effectively and quickly to wean all their customers from analogue to digital a good few years back. I'm certain they have similar plans with SkyQ.
    • Satexpert
    • By Satexpert 2nd Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Satexpert
    • 2nd Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    Very true, lots of old buddies who are use to the old GUI, and there's expats with illegal subs overseas who use the old Pace boxes as they had good tuner sensitivity with weaker signals and are coupled with 2 metre dishes to get reliable signal retention throughout the day.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 3rd Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    Sky managed very effectively and quickly to wean all their customers from analogue to digital a good few years back. I'm certain they have similar plans with SkyQ.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    But I don't believe there was a significant price differential on changing from analog to digital (before my time with Sky!!!) whereas Q carries quite a price premium currently over HD+
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 3rd Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    But I don't believe there was a significant price differential on changing from analog to digital (before my time with Sky!!!) whereas Q carries quite a price premium currently over HD+
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Not true if (and it could be a big if) you can get a free box off them, you don't need to pay the extra £12 a month if you don't want multi-room (or 4K).
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 23,813 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Not true if you can get a free box off them, you don't need to pay the extra £12 a month if you don't want multi-room (or 4K).
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    As I said, I'm certain there will be a similar exit strategy planned for Sky+HD as there was for Sky's analogue service.
    Sky Digital launched at a premium price (just like SkyQ) and then was made mainstream shortly after with an accompanying price reduction.

Going back still further, the original Sky+ was priced for early adopters at £300 (plus £10 a month subscription) in 2001!
    It too was adopted as the norm a few years later.

For me, the problem with SkyQ is that it doesn't appear to be the finished article yet and it may have been rushed into use without proper field testing. It's also not quite the game changer which both Sky+ and Sky Digital undoubtedly were.

It's still coming to everyone, though.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 3rd Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    NeilCr
    I am a tester for Sky+HD software trials and they are still actively working on future updates with no sign of stopping.

While I don't doubt they are keen on moving people to SkyQ the sheer logistics of getting all the Sky+HD users across means that it is going to keep runnng for some time yet. I think I saw a figure somewhere that 90% of Sky TV customers are not on Q. The non dish version may make a difference.

I am not, honestly, sure that that many folks are that interested in Q. I don't know anyone who has it and can think of some who haven't heard of it.

Sky+HD caters very effectively for a lot of people.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    • 23,813 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I am a tester for Sky+HD software trials and they are still actively working on future updates with no sign of stopping.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    But it's already no longer possible to get a new Sky+HD decoder from Sky. All new subscribers only have the option of SkyQ. Manufacture of new Sky+HD decoders has been discontinued.

Obviously, Sky won't want to end support for the existing decoders, but the fact remains that as soon as they start to fail through age the only option will be to replace them with SkyQ.

While I don't doubt they are keen on moving people to SkyQ the sheer logistics of getting all the Sky+HD users across means that it is going to keep runnng for some time yet.
    I'd say "keen" is an understatement, they have invested all their resources in Q and will want a swift return.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 3rd Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    NeilCr
    As per this thread Sky will replace a failed HD box with a refurbished one.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky/Can-one-still-get-a-Sky-HD-2-Tb-box-or-is-Sky-Q-the-only-option/td-p/2805453.

And they are still investing resources (maybe not a huge amount) on HD+ software updates. I believe there is a road map for these for a number of years to come.

And, very easy to get an HD+ box on a well known auction site.

I completely agree with you about the direction Sky are going I just think it will be over a longer period than some on here believe. I don't think there is huge interest out there in Q - many are quite content with their current set up - and we are talking about a lot of (many possibly reluctant) customers.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 23,813 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    As per this thread Sky will replace a failed HD box with a refurbished one.
    Only for as long as their stocks of "refurbished" ones last, of course.
    How long do you suppose that might be?
    they are still investing resources (maybe not a huge amount) on HD+ software updates
    You appear to be simply worried that your voluntary "tester" status might be about to end
    very easy to get an HD+ box on a well known auction site.
    Again, only as long as supplies last. Unlikely to be unused boxes.

I completely agree with you about the direction Sky are going I just think it will be over a longer period than some on here believe.
    As Sky have discontinued production of Sky+HD I'm afraid it's inevitable.
    I don't think there is huge interest out there in Q - many are quite content with their current set up
    The fact remains that the old boxes will very quickly no longer be available.
    Do you suppose Sky will backtrack on Q and re-start production on Sky+?
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 3rd Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    NeilCr
    I don't give a toss about my voluntary tester status. What a strange thing to say. I am perfectly happy, however, with my Sky+HD set up as is my partner and all of my friends.

And, no, I know that Sky will not backtrack on Q. Why would they? And where did I say that?

The "only" point I am trying to make which seems to be passing you by is that I believe it will take much longer than some think to get everyone over to SkyQ (and they will have to factor in losses too). I remember a poster on here saying that it would be done in a year!
    Last edited by NeilCr; 03-03-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 3rd Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 5,009 Posts
    • 7,737 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I wonder if the Netflix app will become available on the Now TV Box? This would make the box great value. Should be possible, as its a Roku box with some functionality disabled.

I dip in and out of Now TV and Sky Cinema as there is not a lot there of interest, but I maintain a regular subscription to Netflix where I can always find something of interest.

I wont be combining my subscriptions - I don't want to be compelled to subscribe to Now TV or Sky Cinema every month.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Mar 18, 11:45 AM
    • 23,813 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I believe it will take much longer than some think to get everyone over to SkyQ (and they will have to factor in losses too). I remember a poster on here saying that it would be done in a year!
    I'm not aware of anyone ever stating Q would be in everyone's home after a year!

I've said from the outset that Sky's strategy with Q will be similar to the rollout of Sky+ and Sky Digital.

However, I believe the rapid success of the latter two technologies will not be matched by Q, not least because (as I said) the Q boxes have been rushed into circulation.

What is certain to happen, though, is that legacy decoders will become harder and harder to source and support for them will gradually dwindle.

By the way, exactly what software updates are planned for Sky+? I doubt it will be anything revolutionary...
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 3rd Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    By the way, exactly what software updates are planned for Sky+? I doubt it will be anything revolutionary...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    There'll be a confidentiality clause for testers so they wouldn't be able to say anything.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 3rd Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I wonder if the Netflix app will become available on the Now TV Box? This would make the box great value. Should be possible, as its a Roku box with some functionality disabled.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Lol, did you forget what this thread is about?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,815Posts Today

8,597Users online

Martin's Twitter