Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 22nd Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 588Posts
    • 191Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Millions with basic bank accounts...
    • 22nd Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    MSE News: Millions with basic bank accounts... 22nd Feb 18 at 2:10 PM
    More than five million people with basic bank accounts are unable to 'pay at the pump' when buying fuel at many petrol stations because of a block put on their debit card by their bank, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal...
    Read the full story:
    'Millions with basic bank accounts barred from paying at the pump'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 28-02-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 22nd Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    WillPS
    • 22nd Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 22nd Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    I'm also blocked on my Tesco Bank account, which isn't even a basic account. Most annoying, as it also seems to prevent the card from being used as a Clubcard.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 22nd Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    20aday
    • 22nd Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 22nd Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    I have a current account with Tesco Bank as well and my Visa Debit card is the same.

Pro tip: download the Clubcard app and you can change the QR code into a barcode via the settings; when youíre using Tesco Pay@Pump you are then able to earn Clubcard points that way.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • tony541
    • By tony541 22nd Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    tony541
    • 22nd Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 22nd Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    If my bank did this to me I would close my account with them. The bankashould be fined for this action, one would think it is their money they are trying to protect. If they think their customers are uncredit worthy they should say so instead of letting many people down in this uncaring way, bloody vermin that they are.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 22nd Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 13,676 Posts
    • 8,656 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 22nd Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 22nd Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    I've a Barclays basic and can use at pay at pump
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 22nd Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 22nd Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 22nd Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    We've got Co-op basicbank accounts and they work so which banks don't?
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 22nd Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 4,060 Posts
    • 5,068 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 22nd Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 22nd Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    the list of banks is in the article
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 22nd Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 22nd Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 22nd Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    This comes under the category be careful what you wish for. Certain financial campaigners lobbied long and hard to force banks into offering accounts to people they wouldn't normally want as customers . The result is a basic account for which you cant go over drawn. For that reason the debit card is online only. If the pay at the pump facility cant verify you have the money , you are declined. Simple, its not the banks doing , these people aren't credit worthy, they trashed it nobody else. Society just wants to blame others for their short comings.
    • Gwb62
    • By Gwb62 22nd Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gwb62
    • 22nd Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 22nd Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    Whenever I use pay at pump, they only previous authorise £1. So as long as my balance is over a £1 no problem.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 23rd Feb 18, 5:38 AM
    • 5,117 Posts
    • 4,943 Thanks
    BoGoF
    Whenever I use pay at pump, they only previous authorise £1. So as long as my balance is over a £1 no problem.
    Originally posted by Gwb62
    But as the article says if and when the petrol pumps are upgraded the pre auth will be £100 so if you dont have that available then no fuel.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 23rd Feb 18, 7:44 AM
    • 5,806 Posts
    • 13,433 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    If they think their customers are uncredit worthy they should say so
    Originally posted by tony541
    They are basic bank accounts, which are for people that aren't credit worthy, so yes they do think that. That's the whole point.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 23rd Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 4,201 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Much as I enjoy a bit of bank bashing as much as the next man, seems to me this is a problem created by the pump operators not updating their systems to meet the (not so) new requirements.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 23rd Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    • 13,245 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    jimjames
    At the risk of sounding like let them eat cake, can't you pay at the kiosk if your card won't work at the pump? Surely the whole point of a basic account is to prevent you overspending?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 23rd Feb 18, 4:07 PM
    • 12,108 Posts
    • 6,838 Thanks
    DUTR
    At the risk of sounding like let them eat cake, can't you pay at the kiosk if your card won't work at the pump? Surely the whole point of a basic account is to prevent you overspending?
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Often the PATP is used out of kiosk hours, I always pay at the kiosk where possible, that said I pay with CC that a settle as the statement appears online.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 25th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    Originally posted by jimjames
    I'm slightly surprised that all fuel outlets haven't switched to pay at pump only. If a debit or credit card is declined before even any fuel is dispensed, then the only other option should be that any person wanting fuel should go to the kiosk if they have physical cash on them and if for example they need £20 worth of fuel, the operator authorises the pump for that amount, takes the cash in advance issuing a receipt and then the person takes the fuel from the authorised dispensing pump. If you don't have the physical means to pay for what you want, or your account doesn't satisfy in advance particular transactions because of the type of account it is, you shouldn't be able to purchase. That sounds harsh, but there it is.

I used to have a basic bank account with Halifax a few years ago, even though I didn't need it, I only got it for the Electron card and I never had a problem with it. I eventually switched the account to another bank and earned £125 for doing so. I bet I couldn't do that now with a basic bank account.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 25th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    John-K
    If my bank did this to me I would close my account with them. The bankashould be fined for this action, one would think it is their money they are trying to protect. If they think their customers are uncredit worthy they should say so instead of letting many people down in this uncaring way, bloody vermin that they are.
    Originally posted by tony541
    As above, though, these are customers that the banks really donít want. If youíre a basic account holder then the bank will probably give a sigh of relief if you close it rather than shed a tear.

Iíd prefer if banks could just decline the customers that they donít want to serve.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 26th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 1,090 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    The banks are doing their customers a favour. It is quite clear from someone I know that there are plenty of ways to accidentally go overdrawn even on a basic account. Blocking an obvious way of going overdrawn - potentially deliberately - makes sense.

The solution is not to berate the banks but question why so many people haven't been helped to understand the cost of living on credit in a buy now, think later, regret sooner society.
    • Peanuckle
    • By Peanuckle 28th Feb 18, 7:16 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Peanuckle
    I've never understood why there isn't an option to prepay a set amount before filling. This would remove the potential for overspending and also stop people driving off without paying?
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 28th Feb 18, 7:46 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 1,090 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    I've never understood why there isn't an option to prepay a set amount before filling. This would remove the potential for overspending and also stop people driving off without paying?
    Originally posted by Peanuckle
    Essentially that is the point of the pump upgrades. In the States it is pretty common.
    • candyman67
    • By candyman67 28th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    candyman67
    Starling Bank customers will also be affected. I have just found out via their online chat
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,917Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter