Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 2nd Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    • 395Posts
    • 197Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Ofgem to investigate Ovo Energy
    • 2nd Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    MSE News: Ofgem to investigate Ovo Energy 2nd Feb 18 at 8:40 AM
    The energy regulator is to investigate whether Ovo Energy gave some of its customers inaccurate usage figures...
    Read the full story:
    'Ofgem to investigate Ovo Energy'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 02-02-2018 at 9:38 AM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 2nd Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 71,889 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 2nd Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42915841
    • JSR
    • By JSR 2nd Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    JSR
    • 2nd Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    There's definitely something wrong with Ovo's annual statements. On my last annual statement in October they said my annual electricity consumption was 5189 kWh. My actual consumption for the previous year was 2818 kWh. I have a smart meter so there're no estimates to confuse things.
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 4th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 6,164 Posts
    • 7,463 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    Between Ovo "accidentally" increasing the amount of energy they say their customers have used, and Iresa "accidentally" increasing the money they are taking out of customers' direct debits, you have to wonder whether it is really worth switching to one of these newer energy companies. Lots of dodginess about.
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 4th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 4,566 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    Between Ovo "accidentally" increasing the amount of energy they say their customers have used, and Iresa "accidentally" increasing the money they are taking out of customers' direct debits, you have to wonder whether it is really worth switching to one of these newer energy companies. Lots of dodginess about.
    Originally posted by poppy10
    The older energy companies, with years of industry experience, are equally as incompetent! You don't have to look far in this forum for tales of woe about any one of them!

• archived user
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    As a general comment, I have found that frequent switching of suppliers (ie; 2 or 3 times a year) confuses the system. It shouldn't affect estimates but my experience is that it does which is why I just ignore what is stated under the 'Could You Pay Less' banner.

I also believe that suppliers should state how future costs have been calculated. Most use the Ofgem Inflated Cost Methodology which is why there is often a suggestion that a switch to a new tariff could result in a saving. In truth, the new tariff is more expensive. The continuous churn of the same tariff name also doesn't help consumers.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 5th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    • 4,467 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    I've always found that by recording my own consumption and therefore knowing how much energy I use I can can make my own estimates. Not only that it doesn't really take a maths genius to work out how much it should cost.

I always use a comparison site (or two) to find a good tariff, I then do my own sums and then apply to a supplier, making sure that it's my estimate of consumption that's used and that their calculations of costs accord with mine.

Likewise I always check my bills and statements to ensure that they are using my readings. I do not accept estimates, I get them corrected immediately. I also check that the tariff hasn't changed without my express consent (one supplier tried that a couple of years ago) and I make sure that my payments are on target to balance my account at the end of the contract.

It's not difficult but it does ensure that I know what's going on and can take immediate and effective action if anything starts to go awry.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,720Posts Today

4,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin