Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 31st Aug 17, 12:03 PM
    • 703Posts
    • 223Thanks
    beefturnmail
    Paypal Direct Debits
    • 31st Aug 17, 12:03 PM
    Paypal Direct Debits 31st Aug 17 at 12:03 PM
    Just tried to move money into Paypal by direct debit (in order to meet the min 2 dd requirements), and the option to move money by dd seems to have disappeared from Paypal. Has anyone else noticed this?
Page 4
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 3rd Jan 18, 11:05 PM
    • 4,353 Posts
    • 14,910 Thanks
    Westie983
    I'm having exactly the same problem too.

sparkie
    Originally posted by sparkiemalarkie
    Its been removed hence the message.

You will need to use PayPal to pay for something then the DD will still come out.

You can no longer pay PayPal account via DD using the app or the website.

I think they have cottoned onto people using it for DD (maybe)

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 900/1,000 = 90.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 12,022.59/15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • BodyMilk
    • By BodyMilk 4th Jan 18, 1:06 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BodyMilk
    Its been removed hence the message.

You will need to use PayPal to pay for something then the DD will still come out.

You can no longer pay PayPal account via DD using the app or the website.

I think they have cottoned onto people using it for DD (maybe)

Westie983
    Originally posted by Westie983
    So, if I use the "send money" option to pay someone and have a zero balance on my PayPal account then it will work as a DD?
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 4,353 Posts
    • 14,910 Thanks
    Westie983
    So, if I use the "send money" option to pay someone and have a zero balance on my PayPal account then it will work as a DD?
    Originally posted by BodyMilk
    Yes, takes a few days to debit but they get the money instantly

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 900/1,000 = 90.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 12,022.59/15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Wilma33
    • By Wilma33 4th Jan 18, 5:59 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    Wilma33
    I contacted PayPal about this today and they said it was due to "internal security systems". Hmmm.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 4th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 2,746 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Yes, takes a few days to debit but they get the money instantly

Westie983
    Originally posted by Westie983

I noted the timings for debit and credit as well. Now am i the only one that has contemplated going from sending 5 to 5000.
    • Rosie1980
    • By Rosie1980 5th Jan 18, 12:07 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Rosie1980
    At least all these changes are coming at the same time, I can plan my new bank account set up if I know what I am dealing with.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 20th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    So sending money to someone works as DD still?

Can you do this on more than one bank account?
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 21st Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 759 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    So sending money to someone works as DD still?
    Originally posted by stphnstevey
    It's worked for me a few times recently. Only using the mobile app - the functionality has been removed from the website. Someone suggested that Paypal only allow you to use the DD facility if you have recently used your Paypal account to pay for something. I don't know if that's true but it's plausible, ie. it could explain why it sometimes works for me but not always.

Can you do this on more than one bank account?
    Originally posted by stphnstevey
    Yes - I've done it recently with two bank accounts.
    It's not my fault that nothing works: the bank suggested I install Trusteer Rapport.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 21st Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    18cc
    If you have a zero Paypal balance and a linked bank account, and you pay for something with Paypal (eg buy something on eBay), the payment is direct debited automatically from your linked account. It used to be called an e-cheque, and the seller would have to wait until the DD payment arrived and then Paypal would forward the money to them. Not sure how long the seller waits these days.
    • ericpode
    • By ericpode 31st May 18, 1:45 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    ericpode
    My partner buys things occasionally from ebay, and the payment gets taken by paypal from her Santander current account via a DD.

She's now considering closing the Santander account (to escape the 5 monthly fee).

But will it be possible to change the Paypal direct debit to a different current account if all the DD controls in the paypal control panel have disappeared?

Is she going to lose the DD funding mechanism if she closes the Santander current account?

In general, are we all stuck with existing current accounts if want to avoid losing the DD mechanism?
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 31st May 18, 3:45 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 4,100 Thanks
    Zanderman
    My partner buys things occasionally from ebay, and the payment gets taken by paypal from her Santander current account via a DD.

She's now considering closing the Santander account (to escape the 5 monthly fee).

But will it be possible to change the Paypal direct debit to a different current account if all the DD controls in the paypal control panel have disappeared?

Is she going to lose the DD funding mechanism if she closes the Santander current account?

In general, are we all stuck with existing current accounts if want to avoid losing the DD mechanism?
    Originally posted by ericpode
    As far as I'm aware Paypal's DD system is still their standard for paying for purchases (other than drawing on a debit or credit card)

The worrying in this thread is, surely, about people trying to draw cash from their banks into Paypal just to make a DD, not people buying something with Paypal, which, if from a bank account, must be via DD.

So Paypal should allow you to set up another DD from another account.
    • thor
    • By thor 1st Jun 18, 4:12 PM
    • 5,246 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    thor
    As far as I'm aware Paypal's DD system is still their standard for paying for purchases (other than drawing on a debit or credit card)

The worrying in this thread is, surely, about people trying to draw cash from their banks into Paypal just to make a DD, not people buying something with Paypal, which, if from a bank account, must be via DD.

So Paypal should allow you to set up another DD from another account.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    I don't understand what the problem is.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 1st Jun 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 4,100 Thanks
    Zanderman
    I don't understand what the problem is.
    Originally posted by thor
    I don't think there is one.

At least not for using paypal to buy things using your bank account by dd.

The thread is about the facility for paypal to draw cash from your bank account by dd on a whim (to satisfy dd requirements on various bank accounts) being withdrawn.
    • Wilma33
    • By Wilma33 1st Jun 18, 7:09 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    Wilma33
    This has started working for me again in the PayPal app! Hooray.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 2nd Jun 18, 2:10 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Plum and CHIP savings app, both use DD's.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter