Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 31st Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 7,310Posts
    • 10,735Thanks
    surfsister
    advice on complaint virgin west coast
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    advice on complaint virgin west coast 31st Dec 17 at 9:45 AM
    Hi guys happy new year! We had the train journey to hell Christmas eve from Euston to Lancaster standing until Preston then we got seats only to be shifted when some new people got on insisting they were their seats! No proof of course! The train must have been at much more than legal and safe capacity as 10 first class carriages had 2nd class passengers and people were standing in every doorway and cases were everywhere. There was no access through the carriages to the loo or buffet car. (when the northern guard took over he was very angry!!! bit different to the virgin chappie).

Reminded us of a cattle truck!! But the rspca would have been more use than the virgin ticket chap.

Emailed Dicky Branson but just got a standard fobbing off email! so much for his biography the customer is always right!! ha!

Have written to his ivory towers battleship place but any idea how to contact him???
Page 1
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 31st Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 26,388 Thanks
    robpw2
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    Hi guys happy new year! We had the train journey to hell Christmas eve from Euston to Lancaster standing until Preston then we got seats only to be shifted when some new people got on insisting they were their seats! No proof of course! The train must have been at much more than legal and safe capacity as 10 first class carriages had 2nd class passengers and people were standing in every doorway and cases were everywhere. There was no access through the carriages to the loo or buffet car. (when the northern guard took over he was very angry!!! bit different to the virgin chappie).

Reminded us of a cattle truck!! But the rspca would have been more use than the virgin ticket chap.

Emailed Dicky Branson but just got a standard fobbing off email! so much for his biography the customer is always right!! ha!

Have written to his ivory towers battleship place but any idea how to contact him???
    Originally posted by surfsister
    why not try emailing virgin east coast customer service as richard branson doest deal with the day to day running of virgin anymore

So you sat in someone elses seats and got annoyed when asked to move -- cause if they had no proof they were there seats why did you move ?

It was christmas eve you and everyone else was trying to get home

y

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • cookie365
    • By cookie365 31st Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    cookie365
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    I didn't think there were any trains running from Euston to Lancaster on Christmas eve.

And if it had 10 first class carriages it must have been two 9-car and one 11-car train joined together. Probably the longest train that's ever run on the UK railway
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 31st Dec 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:38 AM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:38 AM
    why not try emailing virgin east coast customer service as richard branson doest deal with the day to day running of virgin anymore
    They were on the West Coast

Sorry OP, Branson is too busy suing and buying up the NHS to bother about you. Write it off as a bad experience and stop giving money to Branson's nasty empire.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 31st Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    stclair
    • 31st Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    I didn't think there were any trains running from Euston to Lancaster on Christmas eve.

And if it had 10 first class carriages it must have been two 9-car and one 11-car train joined together. Probably the longest train that's ever run on the UK railway
    Originally posted by cookie365
    Virgin trains have 11 carriages at most. If they was any longer they would be able to stop at certain stations. (One being motherwell for example)
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 31st Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 26,388 Thanks
    robpw2
    • 31st Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    They were on the West Coast

Sorry OP, Branson is too busy suing and buying up the NHS to bother about you. Write it off as a bad experience and stop giving money to Branson's nasty empire.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    sorry my mistke but to be fair they would have a better chance at pursuing this talking to any railway company than emailing Richard branson

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • stclair
    • By stclair 31st Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    stclair

A train would have possibly 11 carriages at the most. 6/7 carriages are standard class and 3/4 are first class. Northern Guard?

There is no legal limit on the number of passengers that can travel in any given train coach as trains differ from other modes of transport !!!8211; most notably buses and aeroplanes - because of the heavy engineering design involved. This permits trains to operate effectively and safely even when fully loaded to maximum capacity.

Also on xmas eve there was no trains between preston and lancaster it was a replacement bus service I did the journey myself from wigan to glasgow.
    Last edited by stclair; 31-12-2017 at 1:07 PM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 1st Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 7,310 Posts
    • 10,735 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 1st Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    well have had a reply from the managing director of west coast virgin who are looking into it. so there is hope.

discovered the previous train was cancelled so two lots of passengers on one extended train plus Xmas cases of gifts! a recipe for disaster.

virgin unlike greater Anglia we are used to don't put reserved tickets on seats so you can't tell if they are reserved or not. so as a whole previous train load of people now with no reserved seats were still claiming their seats it was a bun-fight!

Will let you know if anything develops. suffice to say it was a very unpleasant 253 miles!
    • cookie365
    • By cookie365 1st Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    cookie365
    • 1st Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    You've never been on a Virgin WC train have you? There are displays above the seats showing reservation status.

At least there are on actual real trains. Not sure about ones that don't actually exist
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 2nd Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Tumtitums

Overcrowding happens all the time up and down the country but i imagine all you will get is a thank you and a reminder that you can claim compensation if the train is 30mins late
    What does really annoy me especially with Virgin and Arriva trains wales (and puts me off travelling with them) is when people have sat on my seat that i reserved specifically so i do not have to stand. I think its a disgrace that i have to have a discussion with these people and provide evidence its my seat. Its also very disrespectful as well and there is never a customer service person around to assist in these cases. Its made quite clear that you can reserve seats on virgin (FOR FREE) when you book so why did you not do this ??? if you dont then you shouldnt start complaining when someone asks you to move from a seat you didnt reserve and they did
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 2nd Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Tumtitums
    You've never been on a Virgin WC train have you? There are displays above the seats showing reservation status.

At least there are on actual real trains. Not sure about ones that don't actually exist
    Originally posted by cookie365
    sometimes they dont switch them on and i actually suspect that they dont take into account the bookings made ie they say the same thing all day as ive been in services where half the reserved seats are unoccupied
    • scones
    • By scones 2nd Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    scones
    What does really annoy me especially with Virgin and Arriva trains wales (and puts me off travelling with them) is when people have sat on my seat that i reserved specifically so i do not have to stand. I think its a disgrace that i have to have a discussion with these people and provide evidence its my seat
    Its made quite clear that you can reserve seats on virgin (FOR FREE) when you book so why did you not do this ???
    Originally posted by Tumtitums
    I agree that it is very irritating when people ignore reservation displays and labels and I politely ask people to move in such cases. This is never normally a problem.

The real issue is when the train company has not put the reservations in place (i.e. has not put out tickets or displayed the reservations on the screen). Nobody has the right to demand somebody else vacates a seat if the train company has failed to reserve it for them - but I've seen plenty of squabbles where people have innocently sat in an unmarked seat and then had somebody else turn up to try and claim it as "theirs".

While there would be benefits if everybody was booked a specific seat, I don't think we should assume that people who haven't reserved a seat are being lazy or obstructive. There are lots of valid reasons:
    1. Several train companies, including Arriva Trains Wales, do NOT give out reservations when booking online. If you book an "Advance" ticket for an Arriva train on their website, it will tie you to a specific train but will not reserve you a specific seat.
    2. In most cases, commuters travelling on season tickets are not offered the option of reserving a seat.
    3. Most Virgin and Arriva routes also need to cater for local, turn-up-and-go traffic as well as long-distance travellers. You couldn't reasonably expect people doing a short hop from Wigan to Warrington or Cardiff to Newport to book ahead.
    4. People may be unable to pre-book if they are travelling urgently, or if they can't predict when their return journey will be, such as when travelling to a work meeting that could overrun.
    • dggar
    • By dggar 3rd Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    dggar
    sometimes they dont switch them on and i actually suspect that they dont take into account the bookings made ie they say the same thing all day as ive been in services where half the reserved seats are unoccupied

An unoccupied reserved seat means the person who reserved that seat is not on that train or has chosen to sit in another seat on that train. Advance tickets which require a reserved seat only require you to travel on a particular train and not to have to sit in a particular seat if other seats are available.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 3rd Jan 18, 3:13 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Having done Euston-Lancaster many times I'm used to perching in the alcoves.

It's common on the west coast, especially the faster service.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 3rd Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    katejo
    If the previous train was cancelled, Virgin may have cancelled all the reservations in the next train. That happened when I travelled back from Edinburgh on the East coast service and I had to get the next train. No reservation tickets were in the seats so I refused to move when someone claimed it was their seat. I would of course have moved if it had been someone less able to stand but it wasn't, You can claim compensation either for a delayed train or for a cancelled seat reservation.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 3rd Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 8,262 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    What does really annoy me especially with Virgin and Arriva trains wales (and puts me off travelling with them) is when people have sat on my seat that i reserved specifically so i do not have to stand. I think its a disgrace that i have to have a discussion with these people and provide evidence its my seat.
    I think it is entirely reasonable to ask to see your reservation coupon before moving. Other than that, I don't see any scope for discussion: I often sit in unoccupied reserved seats, and always move if the person who reserved them turns up.
    • dggar
    • By dggar 3rd Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    dggar
    ......, You can claim compensation either for a delayed train or for a cancelled seat reservation.
    Originally posted by katejo

Are you sure?

What is the cost involved for a seat reservation.

Do you a valid source for this claim?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 3rd Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 8,262 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Are you sure?

Originally posted by dggar
    I once made a complaint about a journey, and mentioned in passing that the crowding had meant that I could sit in my reserved seat. I received a cash payment for this, apart from the compensation for the delay/cancellation to other parts of the journey.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 4th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 9,846 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Are you sure?
    Originally posted by dggar
    Me too... Virgin WC from London to Liverpool - the seat displays were faulty. I got a seat but not the forward table one I reserved (to work on the train) and Virgin sent me a fiver (IIRC) in compensation.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 9.85 $2.12 5.26 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 NZ$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

4,607Users online

Martin's Twitter