Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Otis1888
    • By Otis1888 3rd Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Welsh Student Funding
    • #1
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    Welsh Student Funding 3rd Jan 18 at 4:43 PM
    Dear MSE forum users - I have a dilemma.

    We had been living in Wales when my son applied for University (in Manchester) and was accepted. As he had lived most of his life in Wales he was awarded part funding by the Welsh Student Funding Agency last year - the rest of his fees are covered by a student loan - All good so far.

    Unfortunately my employer has now closed their Welsh operations and now I and my wife have had to to move to Scotland, and we have sold our house in Wales. Now I don't know what to do as effectively my son no longer has a Welsh address, and he is not eligible for Scottish funding.

    We surely cannot be the first people who have had to move from Wales mid-term, and I just don't know what to do...

    Calling Welsh Student Funding direct is a nightmare, you get different advice every time you call.

    Anyone been through this before?
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 37,303 Posts
    • 157,155 Thanks
    • #2
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • #2
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    You should be fine.

    According to this information leaflet from Student Finance Wales it is the address when you start your studies that counts.

    However, their systems may need you to keep the Welsh address on their system, see here.
    • Otis1888
    • By Otis1888 4th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • #3
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    Thanks for the reply, but my concern is that Welsh Funding specifically requires you to inform them if you change address - the problem now is that we do not have a Welsh address at all.

    We did live there since 2005, my son spending most of his life there, and it was our address when he was accepted to Manchester University - we, his parents only moved to Scotland just before Xmas 2017.

    It is fair enough saying that we should keep our old Welsh address on each year's subsequent application, but we don't live there anymore, and I am concerned that that would be considered fraud. He obviously can not use his English address in Manchester, as that throws up the same issue,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,996Users online

Martin's Twitter