Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 11th Dec 17, 1:27 PM
    • 543Posts
    • 188Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Tesco cancels some customers' credit cards just two weeks before Christmas
    • 11th Dec 17, 1:27 PM
    MSE News: Tesco cancels some customers' credit cards just two weeks before Christmas 11th Dec 17 at 1:27 PM
    Tesco cancels some customers' credit cards just two weeks before Christmas...
    Read the full story:
    'Tesco cancels some customers' credit cards just two weeks before Christmas'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 3,932 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 11th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    If someone is so reliant on their credit card that this would "ruin" Christmas, they should speak to one of the debt advice charities. Perhaps the article could give a link to the relevant article?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 11th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    MSE Callum
    • 11th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    Thanks IAmWales, we've put in a link to our 50 Xmas MoneySaving Tips guide. This has a section on debt help in it and a link to our guide.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    • msallen
    • By msallen 11th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    msallen
    • 11th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    The "official" site lags way behind the forum as per.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5755102
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 20,743 Posts
    • 15,010 Thanks
    molerat
    • 11th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    If my CC was cancelled I would use the other one or the other other one or at a push my debit card, or my other debit card or my other other ...........
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • TiVo_Lad
    • By TiVo_Lad 11th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    TiVo_Lad
    • 11th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    What will have happened is that Tesco will have uncovered compromised card details somewhere. Not necessarily from them, but perhaps from an online retailer. Could be anywhere. They cancel the card to prevent fraudulent use. Which is fair enough.

HOWEVER, to dress it up as "protecting customer's security" is nonsense. The Credit Card issuer is liable for third-party fraud, not the customer, so they are protecting themselves, not their customers.

Additionally, making people wait over a week for a new card is pretty poor. This happened to me a couple of months back and I had my new card the following morning with the bank (not Tesco Bank I should add) picking up the tab for Royal Mail Special Delivery. All very apologetic.

I'm not criticising Tesco for taking the action, but they should be open and transparent about the reasons and speed up the card replacement process, Christmas or not.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 11th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    aj23
    • 11th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    I have two credits I don't often use, but if one was lost, cancelled, stolen etc., I always have a back up, not to mention debit cards, cheques, cash etc.

If you think your Christmas will be ruined because you won't have a credit card for up to 10 days, then you need to speak to someone about debt and seek financial advice because that isn't right. Also means you've probably left things last minute instead of planning three or four months ahead to avoid November/December credit card shock with a big bill in January.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 11th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 11th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    @TiVo_lad
    And the most annoying thing will be Tesco not saying where the data was leaked from.
    Several years ago I had a credit card, details of which were found during a police raid. The bank phoned me, informed me of the issue, cancelled the card, sent out a new one within 2 days and told me where the details had been stolen from. And they ensured that I had no unauthorised debits on the card too.
    So good companies can be helpful, Tesco Bank aren't really helping the customer here.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Dec 17, 4:12 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 3,053 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 11th Dec 17, 4:12 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 4:12 PM
    Why is this being turned into a sob-story and an uproar?

What would you rather have - a new CC or a hacked account?
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 11th Dec 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    I havent had any message so I guess ours are ok. It could have been a bit of a palaver if all four were cancelled
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 11th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    MABLE
    Used mine this pm for 72.00 and so far everything seems ok.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 17,394 Posts
    • 16,394 Thanks
    sourcrates
    The amount of people who are complaining about this on various social media sites, just goes to show how reliant a lot of people are on using credit for day to day living.

I expect come January the flood of people we see seeking debt help will increase dramatically, after all, the figures speak for them selves :

People in the UK owed 1.557 trillion at the end of September 2017. This is up from 1.505 trillion at the end of September 2016 – an extra 1,030.47 per UK adult.

The average total debt per household – including mortgages – was 57,490 in September. The revised figure for August was 57,311.

Per adult in the UK that’s an average debt of 30,096 in September – around 113.8%of average earnings. This is slightly up from a revised 30,012 a month earlier.

Based on September 2017 trends, the UK’s total interest repayments on personal debt over a 12 month period would have been 49.885 billion.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 11-12-2017 at 5:03 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 11th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Indeed, I doubt many people are only annoyed with Tesco because they can't use the card to get extra clubcard points on their spending. The debit card after all has an equivalent earning rate to the credit card now (and a better one within Tesco until April 2019.)
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ 19.55/180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ 20.75/180.00
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 11th Dec 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    The amount of people who are complaining about this on various social media sites, just goes to show how reliant a lot of people are on using credit for day to day living.

I expect come January the flood of people we see seeking debt help will increase dramatically, after all, the figures speak for them selves :

People in the UK owed 1.557 trillion at the end of September 2017. This is up from 1.505 trillion at the end of September 2016 an extra 1,030.47 per UK adult.

The average total debt per household including mortgages was 57,490 in September. The revised figure for August was 57,311.

Per adult in the UK thats an average debt of 30,096 in September around 113.8%of average earnings. This is slightly up from a revised 30,012 a month earlier.

Based on September 2017 trends, the UKs total interest repayments on personal debt over a 12 month period would have been 49.885 billion.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    The government would be over the moon if thats all they had to pay in interest
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 11th Dec 17, 9:59 PM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 3,931 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Don't think this has anything to do with people relying on CCs because they haven't got money.

It's more like they are relying on CC as a means of payment and it's a nuisance to be without your favourite card. No doubt people will use debit cards/cash, but it's not so convenient. Plus no clubcard points/S75 protection.

Moral is: have more than one card.
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 12th Dec 17, 6:08 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    @TiVo_lad
    And the most annoying thing will be Tesco not saying where the data was leaked from.
    Several years ago I had a credit card, details of which were found during a police raid. The bank phoned me, informed me of the issue, cancelled the card, sent out a new one within 2 days and told me where the details had been stolen from. And they ensured that I had no unauthorised debits on the card too.
    So good companies can be helpful, Tesco Bank aren't really helping the customer here.
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Telling customers would be daft tbh as some customers would boycott the merchant whos been hacked or even take matters into their own hands, it has been known.

True transparency cant cause more problems than it solves. If you were told its likely the person who told you wasnt really meant to or was putting 2 and 2 together
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 12th Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 2,298 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    What will have happened is that Tesco will have uncovered compromised card details somewhere. Not necessarily from them, but perhaps from an online retailer. Could be anywhere. They cancel the card to prevent fraudulent use. Which is fair enough.
    Originally posted by TiVo_Lad
    Which raises another point, if they are aware of a retailer been compromised, they should disclose it so customers of said retailer can take action.

I dont think its moral in these situations to keep scum about the source of the problem.

e.g. I was told by a website yesterday they are forcing me to change my password because the password I used was revealed on a compromised website. I asked them what that website was as obviously I want to know where my account has been compromised elsewhere and they refuse to tell me.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 13th Dec 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Telling customers would be daft tbh as some customers would boycott the merchant whos been hacked or even take matters into their own hands, it has been known.
    Originally posted by eco_warrior
    So you want people to use a merchant who has broken security? And who may not fix it properly?

I know that I did not go to the company that leaked my details as I had no trust in them to not do the same thing again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

759Posts Today

7,109Users online

Martin's Twitter