Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keatergreyhound
    • By keatergreyhound 26th Jul 05, 2:38 PM
    • 485Posts
    • 131Thanks
    keatergreyhound
    Quiche and egg custards
    • 26th Jul 05, 2:38 PM
    Quiche and egg custards 26th Jul 05 at 2:38 PM
    Yes I know and odd combination. Ive searched througt the sticky recipes at the top of the page but I cannot find either. The quiche is to use up soem bacon and my little girls gone mad on egg custards.
    So could anyone please share a recipe. I shall report back on how it goes
    Regards Keaterxxx
    And baby Mollie who wants h/m egg custards
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Jul 05, 3:12 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 26th Jul 05, 3:12 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 3:12 PM
    The Quiche and a custard tart which uses egg custard are both on the Be-Ro site.

Just click on the List All Recipes on the right hand side:- Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 26th Jul 05, 3:39 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 26th Jul 05, 3:39 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 3:39 PM
    My mum makes a tuna flan with a tin of tuna,two eggs a splash of milk and she mixes it all up and pops it in a pastry case.

Yummy once cooled with a salad.

Not sure how long to cook it for. But you could add anything to it.

Yours

Calley
    • keatergreyhound
    • By keatergreyhound 26th Jul 05, 3:57 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    keatergreyhound
    • 26th Jul 05, 3:57 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 3:57 PM
    Can anyone please tell me whats bake blind means please
    The recipe says
    Heat oven to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5. Line an 18 cm (7 inch) flan tin with the pastry and bake blind
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 26th Jul 05, 4:09 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:09 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:09 PM
    That means you bake the pasty case without the filling so that you are sure that the pastry cooks, you line it with crumpled foil, then bake it.

If you just want to make egg custard as a baked pudding in a bowl all you need to remember is '4 eggs to a pint of milk' ( I have had that in my head 30+ years since school cookery classes, that, plus the song that they taught us to spell 'beautiful' with). You need sugar as well, that's to taste but around 2 heaped tablespoons will do it.

For a quiche filling the thing to remember is similar but not the same it's '4 eggs made up to a pint' (less milk you notice). If you have some single cream replace some of the milk with that, it will freeze well if there is a fair bit of cream in the mixture. You will need to season this with salt, pepper and mixed herbs
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Jul 05, 4:10 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:10 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:10 PM
    Right... it means to bake without the filling. You normally put some greaseproof paper in and lay some dried beans or pulses on it to stop the bottom from rising too much but it doesn't matter if you can't do this.

HTH

Edit: Darn! A-T beat me to it
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• keatergreyhound
    • By keatergreyhound 26th Jul 05, 4:19 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    keatergreyhound
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:19 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:19 PM
    Right its in the oven baking blind as we speak. Trouble is ive followed the recipe that I got from another site and ive got lots and I mean lots of the sweet pastry left from the custard. Any ideas for left over sweet pastry?
    Sorry im such a pain I know but once ive done it once that I shall know for the future
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 26th Jul 05, 4:20 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:20 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:20 PM
    Jam tarts?
  • henhog
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:59 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 4:59 PM
    You could make those little Maids of Honour cakes. You simply roll out the pastry until very thin, and put in a baking tray thing (like the one you would use for jam tarts), you put a spoonful of jam in each one. In a seperate bowl mix cottage cheese, (sieve this first) sultanas and almond essence, about two table spoon s of ground almonds and two eggs. Put this on top of the jam on the pastry. Cook for about ten minutes in a very hot oven - I think about gas mark eight. Then you lower the heat and cook for another 10 minutes. When they are cool you can ice them by dropping a bit of icing onto the centre of each one. It will sink in.

I haven't made these in ages, but my mom used to make them all the time and they are lovely and worth the trouble.
    • jordylass
    • By jordylass 26th Jul 05, 5:00 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    jordylass
    I make quiche at least once a week, to use up anything left over, it's a firm favourite with everyone in our house, thank you for the quatities of eggs to milk, as I just guess and sometimes are better than others.
    To bake blind I never put anything in, as it seems a bit fiddly, pricking the bottom well with a fork has always worked OK.
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Jul 05, 6:09 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    And if you've STILL got some pastry left - you can freeze it

• keatergreyhound
    • By keatergreyhound 26th Jul 05, 10:12 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    keatergreyhound
    ok an update from me.
    The egg custatrd was awful. It came out looking nice but when I cut into it it was like scrambled eggs but all lumpy and runny. The dogs loved it though!
    Wish me look for the next adventure. I think im going to need it
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Jul 05, 10:32 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Which recipe did you make?

CuriousFolks'R'us

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 5th Aug 05, 7:38 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    ok an update from me.
    The egg custatrd was awful. It came out looking nice but when I cut into it it was like scrambled eggs but all lumpy and runny. The dogs loved it though!
    Wish me look for the next adventure. I think im going to need it
    by keatergreyhound
    I've only just read this.

The the custard must have been over-cooked. When this happens the protein in the eggs tightens up and squeezes the fluid out, this is called syneresis. You sometimes see this in scrambled eggs that have been cooked for too long, the creamy egg mixture turns into blobbly eggy lumps and there is liquid released into the pan.

So just a little less heat or less cooking and it will be fine next time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

1,382Users online

Martin's Twitter