Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 2nd Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    • 137Posts
    • 70Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep my free pair of shoes?
    • 2nd Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep my free pair of shoes? 2nd Nov 17 at 1:18 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I ordered some shoes online, but realised they wouldn’t arrive in time for my holiday. I decided to buy another pair in store and cancelled my online order – I got a refund but the delivery still turned up. Should I ask the company if they want the shoes back?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • romeroe
    • By romeroe 7th Nov 17, 10:17 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    romeroe
    • 7th Nov 17, 10:17 PM
    How is this even a dilema
    • 7th Nov 17, 10:17 PM
    They get worse by the week... it's a "yes" from me.
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 8th Nov 17, 12:06 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    • 8th Nov 17, 12:06 AM
    • 8th Nov 17, 12:06 AM
    It's NOT a free pair of shoes. You can't have both the refund and the shoes, so yes, of course you should contact them. I'm surprised you even need to ask.
    Last edited by elizabethhull; 08-11-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    • steveE2
    • By steveE2 8th Nov 17, 6:16 AM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    steveE2
    • 8th Nov 17, 6:16 AM
    • 8th Nov 17, 6:16 AM
    Of course you should contact them.
    Why didn't you refuse delivery knowing you already had a refund?
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 8th Nov 17, 7:05 AM
    • 7,883 Posts
    • 11,549 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 8th Nov 17, 7:05 AM
    • 8th Nov 17, 7:05 AM
    They get worse by the week... it's a "yes" from me.
    Originally posted by romeroe
    It's NOT a free pair of shoes. You can't have both the refund and the shoes, so yes, of course you should contact them. I'm surprised you even need to ask.
    Originally posted by elizabethhull
    Of course you should contact them.
    Why didn't you refuse delivery knowing you already had a refund?
    Originally posted by steveE2
    All of the above.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • lakesider52
    • By lakesider52 8th Nov 17, 7:58 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    lakesider52
    • 8th Nov 17, 7:58 AM
    • 8th Nov 17, 7:58 AM
    Absolutely you should contact the company and tell them the shoes are available for collection or they can send you a pre-paid returns bag.
    • Newway
    • By Newway 8th Nov 17, 8:03 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Newway
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:03 AM
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:03 AM
    Yes I would contact them. I will probably return immediately If they offer free return postage. If not I will ring them and ask for a free return.

Many years ago a similar situation happened to me, I sign up a online contract phone, they send one, but I soon realize it is locked to the wrong network. I contacted them and they sent a new one. So I return the first one to their return center by post, with a cover letter.

Few days later the package was returned to me, but without the cover letter, clearly they have seen my letter... I wrote another letter and still was ignored.
    In that occasion I stop and just kept the phone.
    • sammjiro
    • By sammjiro 8th Nov 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sammjiro
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:19 AM
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:19 AM
    This is not a moral dilemma it is a legal one.

Simply theft is defined in law as (from memory) "Dishonesty appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other."

If you accept the package from the post, KNOWING that you have already obtained a refund, with the intent to keep the property, this is dishonest and therefore theft.

If you are unaware at the time your receive the package as to it's contents, when you become aware what the contents are and the fact that it has been sent to you in error, this is when the dishonesty test will apply if you do not make efforts to alert the owner (the business seller).

Basically, if you keep the shoes in either situation the criminal offence of theft is complete and you are liable for prosecution.
    • Mallinky
    • By Mallinky 8th Nov 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mallinky
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:56 AM
    Honesty pays
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:56 AM
    I complained of a missing clothing delivery (a week after expected delivery) and they promptly sent a replacement.

The original delivery was then discovered (a confused situation at my end!). I called them to apologise and return. They sounded pleasantly surprised and gave me 20% of my next order.
    • ykhan16
    • By ykhan16 8th Nov 17, 8:56 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ykhan16
    How is this even a moral dilemma? You spent your money, you got your shoes- what more do you want?

Its similar to if you had two pairs of shoes in your trolley at Asda but you only scanned one of them at the self service till- the term used is stealing.
    • Harsy
    • By Harsy 8th Nov 17, 9:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Harsy
    Honesty
    You should contact company and offer to return as it will show your honesty.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 8th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 964 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    I had a situation with gift vouchers (received them twice) and when I contacted the company, they just said to keep them and thanked me for my honesty in letting them know.
    So yes, you must tell them and you never know what the outcome maybe.
    • joehoover
    • By joehoover 8th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    joehoover
    Yes, and depending on cost they may just say to keep them anyway. I debate this when collecting wrongly delivered items, sometimes it is not worth it for the cost of the goods opposed to paying for collection
    • sgt1439hux
    • By sgt1439hux 8th Nov 17, 9:25 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    sgt1439hux
    Goodytwoshoes
    [If you had a direct debit and the bank paid out twice on it one month, would you:-
    a. leave it and good luck to the receiver
    b. expect it to be refunded, or
    c. complain and demand it be refunded.

The answer to the above should be the answer to your so called dilemma.
    • Rosanne Eden
    • By Rosanne Eden 8th Nov 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rosanne Eden
    It depends on whether you are one of those people who thinks that these big stores can afford it and have no conscience or you act as you would like other people to act should the situation be reversed.
    • Wraggy
    • By Wraggy 8th Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Wraggy
    I once got an Amazon parcel which had my name on the box but a different invoice and items inside. This was in addition to the box containing my actual order. They provided a free returns label and a small token gift card for the trouble of sending it back. Definitely worth being honest!

• JuliusCaesar
    • By JuliusCaesar 8th Nov 17, 9:37 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    JuliusCaesar
    The dilemma is that you could be put to considerable inconvenience through no fault of your own. The company sent you the shoes after you had cancelled the order, but they have not asked you to return them.

Although I agree that there is a moral obligation to return the shoes, you will have to contact the company yourself, and may need to visit a Post Office or courier drop-off point, or wait in for a courier to collect them.

The way I look at it is that my time has a certain value. If the monetary value of the time taken to resolve an issue that was not of my making started to approach the value of the items, I would have few scruples about keeping them. So it could depend on factors such as: whether you have a car, live close to a Post Office, or are at home most of the time when a courier is likely to call.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 8th Nov 17, 9:40 AM
    • 5,017 Posts
    • 2,212 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Generally, unless it is a high value item, Companies can't be bothered to collect/ send return packaging. I've phoned up twice in the last 18 months when I've received something already cancelled or slightly damaged and been told to keep the items with their compliments as well as sent a replacement.
    My daughter has several quite expensive push chairs from one company which had minor faults on delivery.Every time they reported the issue the Company supplied them with a new one, but have never even asked for the return of the faulty ones!!
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 8th Nov 17, 9:47 AM
    • 5,383 Posts
    • 2,552 Thanks
    paulfoel
    In real life, how many of the people preaching here would do what they say I wonder? 10%?
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • Greveson
    • By Greveson 8th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Greveson
    In real life, how many of the people preaching here would do what they say I wonder? 10%?
    Originally posted by paulfoel
    My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't bother to return them. If they don't get in touch asking for them then clearly they don't notice it and it makes no difference to them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,114Posts Today

7,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin