Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 31st Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 137Posts
    • 43Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE Poll: How often do you use cheques?
    • 31st Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    MSE Poll: How often do you use cheques? 31st Oct 17 at 3:34 PM
    Poll started 31 October 2017

How often do you use cheques?

A new cheque clearing system starts to roll out this week which means cheques will clear no later than the end of the next weekday, rather than taking up to six – and you may soon be able to deposit cheques by sending a picture of them.

Yet are cheques a thing of decline for many?

How often do you use a cheque to pay – which of these is nearest to your situation?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 1
    • mrmajika
    • By mrmajika 31st Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    mrmajika
    • 31st Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 31st Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    I think the results will largely depend on how many children you have. I don't pay by cheque unless I have to, as an alternative to cash. All my cheques in recent years have been to school for school trips, school photos etc.
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right!
    • alex_read
    • By alex_read 1st Nov 17, 6:37 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    alex_read
    • 1st Nov 17, 6:37 AM
    • 1st Nov 17, 6:37 AM
    Used to use them but then migrated to Finland. The huge processing rates & somewhat the cheque expiry dates have rendered this method of sending/receiving money unusable.

Having said that you do get a good show of people pannicking, rushing round & literally all members of staff collectively asking what’s a cheque? what do we DO with this bit of paper? Do we have a process for this? etc. in the Nordic banks :cD Worth taking popcorn if you have a few hours to spend...
    Last edited by alex_read; 01-11-2017 at 6:40 AM.
    • Jake_027
    • By Jake_027 1st Nov 17, 7:53 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Jake_027
    • 1st Nov 17, 7:53 AM
    • 1st Nov 17, 7:53 AM
    The only place I use them is a concert hall which charges for paying by card (even debit card) but bizarrely not by cheque. I've written 5 cheques since 2013 and they've all been for this. Other than that the only other use has been to pay for my passport. From working in credit control, I found a lot of people wrote cheques before having money in the account, so I expect a lot of people will be caught out by this new faster clearing system. Personally I much prefer card payments or bacs anyway, you know the money has been sent then and are not left in the lurch for 6 months if someone doesn't bank your cheque.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 1st Nov 17, 7:58 AM
    • 2,364 Posts
    • 12,906 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 1st Nov 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1st Nov 17, 7:58 AM
    As a Guide leader I deal with cheques all the time. Most parents pay for subs and trips with cheques, and all out going money is cheques. As we are a charity we need 2 signatures which means a debit card and online banking aren't an option for us, although I have heard some units have found banks where it is an option.
    Zebras rock
    • johnathan45
    • By johnathan45 1st Nov 17, 8:51 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    johnathan45
    • 1st Nov 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1st Nov 17, 8:51 AM
    I hate receiving cheques. The last cheque I received was from HMRC and I had to take time off on a working day to go to the bank and pay for the parking.
    • MoJo
    • By MoJo 1st Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    MoJo
    • 1st Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1st Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    I still find cheques useful an reliable.
    We live in a rural area and during the colder months we pay for coal/log deliveries by cheque.
    We also go to a lot of shows/ farmers markets & etc. in the area and poor mobile phone coverage means that many stallholders can't take electronic payments - I much prefer carrying a chequebook than having to carry cash.
    • SandraDJ
    • By SandraDJ 1st Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    SandraDJ
    • 1st Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    Little choice
    • 1st Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    I put my cat in a cattery when I go away on holiday. The only choice I have of making a payment is cheque or cash, so I write a cheque each time.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 1st Nov 17, 9:55 AM
    • 4,715 Posts
    • 6,113 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 1st Nov 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1st Nov 17, 9:55 AM
    I still use cheques wherever possible. I'd like to use them more, but I was forced to take out a few DDs when I opened a Santander 123 account. DDs are a PITA, I used to be baffled as to why people complained about confusing gas/electricity bills until I started paying them by DD.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • BobbinAlong
    • By BobbinAlong 1st Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    BobbinAlong
    I use cheques a couple of times a year usually to pay club memberships or events when having to post payment.
    • Askalick
    • By Askalick 2nd Nov 17, 12:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Askalick
    I rarely make payments by cheque now, but as a sole trader providing a service at private homes my customers often prefer to pay me by cheque. I am not in a position to receive payment by card, and cheque is easier than cash for many people, particularly in areas away from town.
    • Laff
    • By Laff 3rd Nov 17, 9:04 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Laff
    Cheques are very useful when you want to send a large amount and online banking has low daily limits. Even then some of the best savings accounts which are online don't accept cheques, e.g Bank of Cyprus from this month's Best Buy list. Very frustrating!
    • MoJo
    • By MoJo 6th Nov 17, 10:10 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    MoJo
    Another reason I use cheques:

I have no mobile signal where I live which renders OTP codes useless and so it's difficult to set up a new payment online. All of the banks I have dealt with appear to have a blind spot with this problem.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 6th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aj23
    I'm 25 and I've used 4 cheque books this year already and onto my fifth. Usually between 5-10 a month. January was 16 in one month because of how some bills fell etc.

My dads business (only 2 people) pays suppliers about 500 cheques a year, and we get about the same from debtors.

For me, very convenient for credit cards and bills, passbook accounts not local to me etc. Safe way to pay. Nothing wrong with it, shouldn't be phased out. 470 million cheques processed in 2016 worth £551 billion. If people don't like it or use it, up to them. But clearly a lot of people do like and use it, and they shouldn't be being told not to use cheques. There must continue to be a choice of preferred payments for everyone of all needs.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 7th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aj23
    I hate receiving cheques. The last cheque I received was from HMRC and I had to take time off on a working day to go to the bank and pay for the parking.
    Originally posted by johnathan45
    Why not go on a Saturday or on a day off? Or deposit at the Post Office? Some banks and BS you can also do postal deposits.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 7th Nov 17, 11:41 AM
    • 4,838 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I put my cat in a cattery when I go away on holiday. The only choice I have of making a payment is cheque or cash, so I write a cheque each time.
    Originally posted by SandraDJ
    My OH and I have 6 different bank accounts between us. None of them issues cheque books. We get an invoice for our cattery and pay the money directly into their bank account.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 7th Nov 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aj23
    My OH and I have 6 different bank accounts between us. None of them issues cheque books. We get an invoice for our cattery and pay the money directly into their bank account.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    When you say bank account, do you mean a basic current account or an everyday current account? Before it's only basic bank accounts, which don't credit check you, don't issue chequebooks.
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 8th Nov 17, 8:10 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    snorfing along
    I always use cheques to pay for my dog's stay in kennels, they only accept cheque or cash so it's the easiest way also I pay workmen via cheque
    Barclaycard: £2970 Tesco: £655 MBNA £4830 Virgin: £6110
    Total Credit Card debt: £14,565 Car Loan: £12,055
    • old grouser
    • By old grouser 8th Nov 17, 10:37 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    old grouser
    I virtually never write a cheque, yet British Gas (my feed-in tariff supplier) sends me a cheque every quarter, and tells me it has no other method of sending me the money my solar panels earn.
    O G Somewhere on the South Downs
    3.29kWp S by E
    Greetings to Druids everywhere
    • aj23
    • By aj23 8th Nov 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aj23
    I use for a variety, like credit card bills, paying into passbook saving accounts, even a private healthcare bill the other day. Lots of places use them, lots of places accept them. Usage is still near the half a billion mark which makes it a major transaction method.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,560Posts Today

8,676Users online

Martin's Twitter