The Edcawber Principle

I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer :spam:

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW :o

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and £20,000 in credit card debt :eek:

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap :rotfl:

Comments

• ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,218
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yay, you are back with a shiny new thread :j
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £300/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £14473.17/£22787.04
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lovely to have you back Ed!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 5 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Great to see you back Ed! £20k would be slightly scary in anyone's hands but yours! I'm definitely following your diary.

I know how the accidental purchase thing goes. I now have a Vespa, like a cuckoo, alongside the Harleys in the cart lodge. It arrived on Saturday and I must insure, tax and start riding it. I need a new helmet first.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Good to see you back on here with a new diary thread ed :)
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Good to have you back Ed and glad to hear new job is going well. Are you still doing your course?
    Mar 2024 - part 1 - £31,656 part 2 - £25,019 Total - £56,675 44 months to go!
  • Madcap is such a great word. Love to Miss E.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Lurked on your old diary for years - loved it. Looking forward to to!lowing this one officially now I'm out of lurkdom:rotfl:

Pp x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Happy new diary :j :j
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    shiny new 'fred' :j Welcome back :wave:
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • I was just wondering where you had gone! Welcome back. No better man than you to pay off that £20k in short order, I am sure. Good luck with everything and love to all the family. X
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure