Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • scuzz
    • 26th Jul 05, 11:19 AM
    • 26th Jul 05, 11:19 AM
    sausages cassarole?

sausages in a tomato sauce with pasta?

sausage and egg pie?

Can't think of anything for the burgers though sorry!
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Jul 05, 11:42 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 26th Jul 05, 11:42 AM
    • 26th Jul 05, 11:42 AM
    They were frozen, now cooked and refrozen, am I right in thinking thats ok?
    by swizzle
    Yes, that's fine. I don't believe you should do the reheat and refreeze thing though. There are some good links under Food in the MEGA Index that you can track through if you have any concerns.

As for the burgers... mince them (and add at the last minute to any extra mince and onion and stuff that you might need) and use for the meaty bit of a shepherd's pie?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    • 26th Jul 05, 12:17 PM
    Hi
    • 26th Jul 05, 12:17 PM
    Hi Swizzle

My mum used to make burger/sausage quiche with brocolli/courgette/leek/mushroom etc. Sounds awful but they actually tasted very nice.

Mum was a health freak when we were growing up-all brown/wholemeal flour, all cooking from scratch, had fish and chips about every 2-3 months with a video treat. The only take away id ever had up to 13 was fish and chips....not even a macdonalds and Im 30 now..lol. We lived on a farm, dad grew all veggies and all meat was fresh and organic(even the beefburgers :rolleyes: ).

The quiche was a basic mix and she chopped up the cooked burgers or sausages then added a veggie or two then grated cheese on top. My fav was the burger, broccolli and cheese...yummy.

Does anyone have a basic quiche recipe? Think I may try one tomorrow and mayeven have all the ingredients.

Hope that helps.

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Jul 05, 12:26 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 26th Jul 05, 12:26 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 12:26 PM
    I was going to type from my trusty Be-Ro Recipe book when I realised that the recipes are all on line.

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_insp.htm

Follow links through Recipe Inspiration to List all recipes where you'll find a basic Quiche Lorraine and a Bacon and egg pie.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• r.mac
    • By r.mac 26th Jul 05, 12:29 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 26th Jul 05, 12:29 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 12:29 PM
    sorry I don't have a quiche recipe - I think there is one in the recipe index though.

My suggestion for your sausages is to make sausage and tomato pasta. A friend made this for me last week and it was yummy.

Ingredients (feeds two and can easily be increased)
    2 -3 sausages
    garlic
    small onion
    tinned tomatoes
    splash of wine or stock or water
    1 medium carrot
    pinch dried mixed herbs
    cheese (optional for serving)
    pasta

Method
    cut some sausages into small 1/2 - 1 inch pieces. Brown in a frying pan with a clove or two of garlic and a chopped onion for 5 mins/until cooked. Add wine (or equivalent) and cook for 5 mins/until evaporated, add tined tomatoes. You might not need the whole tin, so use your judgement when adding. Grate carrot into frying pan and mix in herbs. Cook for 10 mins or so until carrot soft and is desired consistency.

serve with pasta and cheese on top.

Squeaky - I have added this to the recipe thread

HTH
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • henhog
    • 26th Jul 05, 5:13 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 5:13 PM
    I didn't know you could refreeze things that have been frozen once they have been cooked. Does this apply to everything? For instance, if I made spag bol using frozen mince , I could freeze the bol even though the mince had been previously frozen?

Can't help much with the sausages and burger thing. The sausages would be pretty easy, casseroles etc as suggested but burgers? The only thing I can think of is to serve them with a lovely thick onion gravy and mashed potatoes. Or, you could cut them up into bits and put into a tomato sauce for pasta (a bit like meatballs). I have actually seen this 'delicacy' for sale as a ready meal somewhere!
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 26th Jul 05, 5:30 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 16,857 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 26th Jul 05, 5:30 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 5:30 PM
    You could take the burgers cold in rolls or sandwiches for a packed lunch. My husband often does this with leftover veggie burgers. Add a bit of mustard, salad or whatever you fancy, they'll be fine. Slice them in half sideways if they are too chunky.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Jul 05, 6:27 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 26th Jul 05, 6:27 PM
    • 26th Jul 05, 6:27 PM
    I didn't know you could refreeze things that have been frozen once they have been cooked. Does this apply to everything? For instance, if I made spag bol using frozen mince , I could freeze the bol even though the mince had been previously frozen?
    by henhog
    Yes.

The basic rules are...

1) You cannot refreeze frozen food ingredients if you have NOT cooked them.

2) You can use frozen ingredients in a recipe and then freeze the finished meal

3) You cannot refreeze any pre cooked meal after defrosting.

4) You must ENSURE that frozen meals are piping hot - which means that they are OVER 70C IN THE MIDDLE.

For more clarification you can read the Food section of the MEGA Index where there are threads on food safety and hygiene listed, and there are others under freezing in the cooking section, each with informative links.

• Trying2Save
    Found this recipe

Use a non-stick 6 inch frying pan.
    Pour in approximately 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and begin heating at medium temp.
    Dice up a 1/2 inch thick 2-3 inch round slab of onion and add to heated olive oil.
    Stir onion and saute for approximately a minute or so.
    Dice up a medium to large clove of garlic and add to the onion. Continue to saute.
    At this point, you can add any diced up meat such as left over sausages, roast beef, lamb, pork, chicken, whatever. If you add meat, saute meat,onion and garlic until meat is warmed through.
    Now break two eggs into the frying pan and using a fork, break the yolks and stir into the onion, garlic and optional meat mixture.
    Season with a few liberal shakes of course ground black pepper and regular garlic powder.
    Continue to cook, flipping mixture in chunks to insure even cooking of the eggs.
    When mixture is cooked, slide it onto a microwave safe plate.
    Sprinkle the mixture with shredded cheese. (mozzarella, chedder, whatever)
    Put plate into microwave and nuke for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
    Remove plate to table and start eating.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Jul 05, 6:42 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Substitute tuna for the meat and you've got one of my favourite home made "tuna spanish omlettes"

Actually, thinking on, I'm surprised I'm so generally not taken by the thought of "meat and eggs". This because one of my favourite breakfasts after a good night on the town was steak'n'egg'n'fries followed by mom's apple pie'n'cream.

Course, I was younger, and thinner, then

And in America
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-07-2005 at 6:45 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

527Posts Today

5,686Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin