Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • tron05
    • By tron05 24th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Query: Any benefit for sponsoring spouse's post graduation
    • #1
    • 24th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    Query: Any benefit for sponsoring spouse's post graduation 24th Sep 17 at 9:51 PM
    Hey all!

    I have been following MSE forums for all my financial decisions and posting for the first time as i couldn't already find any thread related to my query.

    I am on a Tier 2 General visa in UK and would be sponsoring my spouse's(on Tier 2 Dependent) post graduation course. As she applied late for the course, we could not get any financial grant/scholarship and would be paying up the full course amount(around GBP 11,500).

    I am considering to take this on my existing credit card and transfer it to a balance transfer credit card(applied for Barclay 25 months fee free card).

    My query is regarding benefits from tax point of view. I did some research and could not find any tax relief for sponsoring education of my spouse. Again, I have only been 9 months in UK, hence would like to check with you all if there is any benefit i can claim for sponsoring her post graduation(preferable, as i am in higher rate) or if i get the invoices on her name, would she get any tax benefits once she starts work?

    Thanks for looking in. Have a good day!
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 25th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    • #2
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    • #2
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    Why would you get tax relief for paying her fees? There are none and none once She qualifies, just your credit card left to pay.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 25th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 37,371 Posts
    • 157,374 Thanks
    • #3
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • #3
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    Hello tron05 and welcome to the MSE forum.

    I have never heard of any tax deductions for individuals sponsoring the tuition fees of their family in the UK. So think you are out of luck on this one.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of
    • tron05
    • By tron05 3rd Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #4
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • #4
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    Thank you!

    Had put up this query as there were tax relief on the interest amount paid on education loans in the Country I moved out from.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

2,133Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

  • It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book

  • Follow Martin