Subscription box business idea

Options
A friend and I would like to start a small subscription box business, only we don't have a clue how to go about starting this. I have googled as much as I can about it, there are online pages that offer help with running such a business such as Cratejoy and Subbly, but we would like to do as much of it as we can ourselves within reason to save costs.

Any tips please from anyone who may know anything about starting up a small business, what steps we need to take first, and so on?

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    - you need a website
    - a source of "product"
    - a means to collect customer orders from the website, physically pack the products and ship them
    - a means to take payment

if you have no idea how to do those then it sounds like you do need the helpers you mention?
  • Giggidy
    Giggidy Posts: 256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For the design and build of our website and landing page, and logo creation we are considering using Freelancer or Fiverr to keep costs down. We have already made contact with suppliers about partnering up with us, some have shown interest but of course we need the above to get the ball rolling.

Do we need to set up a partnership or limited company? We will be packing boxes and curating products, ourselves so wont need staff.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Giggidy wrote: »
    curating products
    What does that mean? I thought curating happened in museums.
  • Giggidy
    Giggidy Posts: 256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    What does that mean? I thought curating happened in museums.

Taken from Webopedia:

"...In electronic commerce (ecommerce) terminology, curated commerce refers to creating unique product lines that provide customers with a distinct collection not offered by other online retailers in a market. The demand for personalization in online shopping is a driving factor behind curated commerce..."

Basically, the whole point of a subscription box, finding or procuring niche products, so your customer doesn't have to 😊
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 September 2017 at 11:03PM
    Options
    Stylists are apparently calling themselves curators nowadays too.

Where will you advertise Giggidy? How will you be getting people to your website?

Is this going to be something like L00tcrate? It will cost a fortune to print boxes like theirs but maybe you could source quality plain boxes and then sticker your design or logo on?

Wix do ecommerce sites and have a good range of designs that are easy to tweak and, for a small fee, you can remove the Wix ads and use your own web address.

Instead of paying for a logo take a visit to font squirrel, type in the name of your company and browse what it looks like in all the fonts. They are all free, even for commercial use.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    We have a company that uses our products in their sub boxes.

Works well as we always ask for money up front. (we are a small business and don't do credit at all)

We tailor make their order to their specs.

Good luck, make sure you have the money to pay for products upfront
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    In order to commit to a subscription, I have to be sure I'm going to get great value in one form or another. How you do that is your whole business model, but if you're 10% cheaper than the high street but I only like 80% of the box, it's nothing to me. For me to commit upfront, I need you to dazzle me every time. What sector are you in? What can you get uniquely or at an amazing price that I can't otherwise get? And that amazing price has to be still amazing after postage.

Postage will be an absolute killer as you're growing the business to a price break, allow for it in your startup costs.
  • Giggidy
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »
    Stylists are apparently calling themselves curators nowadays too.

Where will you advertise Giggidy? How will you be getting people to your website?

Is this going to be something like L00tcrate? It will cost a fortune to print boxes like theirs but maybe you could source quality plain boxes and then sticker your design or logo on?

Wix do ecommerce sites and have a good range of designs that are easy to tweak and, for a small fee, you can remove the Wix ads and use your own web address.

Instead of paying for a logo take a visit to font squirrel, type in the name of your company and browse what it looks like in all the fonts. They are all free, even for commercial use.

Thank you for all the useful info FatVonD! We were initially thinking of paid advertising on facebook, and also on the various forums we are members on ie curly girls etc. Also a referral scheme, which Shopify does automatically if you run your website etc through them.

We were thinking of a basic but sturdy flip lid box, but in a pretty colour and then perhaps getting stickers to save a bit on printing, but Im not sure if that would like cheap or not. Will have to try a prototype to see Im sure.

Wix and Font Squirrel look good, I was thinking of just creating our own logo with just a nice font, most of the boxes I have looked at mainly just have their box name in writing and not a logo or slogan on the boxes.
  • Giggidy
    Options
    Mupette wrote: »
    We have a company that uses our products in their sub boxes.

Works well as we always ask for money up front. (we are a small business and don't do credit at all)

We tailor make their order to their specs.

Good luck, make sure you have the money to pay for products upfront

Thank you Mupette, we have budgeted for buying products upfront, we have already asked some suppliers if they would consider selling at cost price, we are basically going to be advertising / marketing their product (customers would be directed to the supplier's websites to buy the products directly if they like it)

Out of interest, would you mind saying what products your business sells?
  • Giggidy
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    In order to commit to a subscription, I have to be sure I'm going to get great value in one form or another. How you do that is your whole business model, but if you're 10% cheaper than the high street but I only like 80% of the box, it's nothing to me. For me to commit upfront, I need you to dazzle me every time. What sector are you in? What can you get uniquely or at an amazing price that I can't otherwise get? And that amazing price has to be still amazing after postage.

Postage will be an absolute killer as you're growing the business to a price break, allow for it in your startup costs.

Thanks paddyrg, we were thinking of pricing the box a bit cheaper than competitors but also add on a postage cost. Royal Mail do a deal if you post out over a certain amount of packages, they can collect for a small price and get business rates on the postage cost which will help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure