Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 9th May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: Theresa May vows to slash energy bills with standard tariff price cap
    • 9th May 17, 4:04 PM
    MSE News: Theresa May vows to slash energy bills with standard tariff price cap 9th May 17 at 4:04 PM
    Theresa May has pledged to set an absolute energy price cap on standard tariffs, in a move designed to cut gas and electricity bills by up to £100/year for those on the worst deals
    Read the full story:
    'Theresa May vows to slash energy bills with standard tariff price cap'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 9th May 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 9th May 17, 4:09 PM
    • 9th May 17, 4:09 PM
    This will end well, not.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th May 17, 4:14 PM
    • 6,913 Posts
    • 19,774 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 9th May 17, 4:14 PM
    • 9th May 17, 4:14 PM
    Despite the inevitable Tory protestations, this is no more than a reworking of the previous Labour policy they described as 'Marxist'.

Good news for those daft enough to allow themselves to remain on standard tariffs (or unable to switch for other reasons).

Bad news for energy tarts who switch every few months for the best deals. It's been good while it lasted!
  • archived user
    • 9th May 17, 4:53 PM
    • 9th May 17, 4:53 PM
    Seventy percent save £100, so the other thirty percent see fixed tariffs rise by over £200. Suppliers lose out: no way.

It doesn't help when the Secretary of State in charge of the UK energy sector has never switched supplier. ML gave him both barrels on the World at One today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/09/energy-secretary-admits-has-never-switched-suppliers-unveils/
    Last edited by Hengus; 09-05-2017 at 4:55 PM.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 9th May 17, 5:12 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 3,932 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 9th May 17, 5:12 PM
    • 9th May 17, 5:12 PM
    What does Theresa May say about the 1,000,000+ emergency food supplies given to those in poverty by the Trussell Trust last year?

A cut of "up to" £100 a year in energy bills is nothing in comparison to the hardship caused by this government.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th May 17, 5:38 PM
    • 6,913 Posts
    • 19,774 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 9th May 17, 5:38 PM
    • 9th May 17, 5:38 PM
    What does Theresa May say about the 1,000,000+ emergency food supplies given to those in poverty by the Trussell Trust last year?

A cut of "up to" £100 a year in energy bills is nothing in comparison to the hardship caused by this government.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Too right. Let's not forget how strong and stable it is, though - strong enough to push the disadvantaged into a stable.
    • BernardM
    • By BernardM 9th May 17, 6:28 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    BernardM
    • 9th May 17, 6:28 PM
    She voted to block an investigation into Food Poverty
    • 9th May 17, 6:28 PM
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-R8G9uXgAAJfFa.jpg:large
    Last edited by BernardM; 20-09-2018 at 3:44 AM.
    • BernardM
    • By BernardM 9th May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    BernardM
    • 9th May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 9th May 17, 6:31 PM
  • archived user
    • 9th May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 9th May 17, 7:06 PM
    I think the Tories have been driven to it as the headline news lately is that two thirds of consumers are still on standard/variable. If that is the case after all these years of competition then something drastic has to be done.If only the smart alecs like us on here are making a killing with much cheaper energy then maybe its better to share it out more and dump the cheaper yearly fixes or direct debit deals . The suppliers don`t really benefit in the long term from getting my dosh coming in on a monthly credit than Doris and Frank paying by cheque..
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 9th May 17, 7:15 PM
    • 10,736 Posts
    • 31,530 Thanks
    EachPenny
    The suppliers don`t really benefit in the long term from getting my dosh coming in on a monthly credit than Doris and Frank paying by cheque..
    Originally posted by House Martin
    No, if it is just Doris and Frank the supplier won't benefit. But multiply the gain by the thousands and millions of customers the supplier has and the figures will become a very significant benefit. Add to that the saving of paperless billing and extracting money from people's accounts electronically rather than handling paper bills and cheques and the benefit will be sufficient to run a very very large RPU.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • robin58
    • By robin58 9th May 17, 8:42 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    Well I'll be getting out my shotgun so as to shot down the flying pig as it goes past.

The conservatives got us into this mess in the first place
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 9th May 17, 10:19 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy

Originally posted by IAmWales
    The trouble is it is a case of Hobson's Choice as to who will govern us until 2022
  • archived user
    No, if it is just Doris and Frank the supplier won't benefit. But multiply the gain by the thousands and millions of customers the supplier has and the figures will become a very significant benefit. Add to that the saving of paperless billing and extracting money from people's accounts electronically rather than handling paper bills and cheques and the benefit will be sufficient to run a very very large RPU.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Just watch what Theresa May has lined up to prove you wrong once again.The difference between me and Doris paying by cheque and me electronically is nt anywhere near the huge discount I ve been getting over Doris and Kylie the single mum on a prepayment meter which for some reason, and Kylie does not know why, is an Eco 7 meter. You have no idea how cheap I ve been getting my gas and electric last year compared to Doris and Kylie, but I know exactly the difference, because I see the tariffs and billings, and in Kylie s case its probably 80% cheaper for me over her with her prepay.This is wrong, its the same electricity, same standing charges and she s paying so much more.Even the hard bitten business minded Torys have had enough of the inequality.. Time to ditch the deals, and the direct debit bonanza s for us who don t have to worry about going overdrawn. Lets see what the Torys come up with
    Last edited by House Martin; 09-05-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 9th May 17, 10:50 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    To sum up then the energy minister is clueless, Ofgem is involved which ususally leads to disaster and this PM has form for failure and flip flopping.

This doesn't fill me with hope. Whatever way they go about it a reduction will have to be paid for somehow and it will result in the cheaper deals going up somewhat.

I am unclear how this supports competition. If people won't shop around for £300 worth of savings then certainl won't go it for £50.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 10th May 17, 6:07 AM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    she can slash energy bills as well as foxes, incredible 'human'.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 10th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    lstar337
    People misunderstanding energy bills and 'sticking' on standard tariffs for fear of messing up will only rise since May is constantly ripping funds out of the education system. Who needs education anyway? It's not like it's the cornerstone of a healthy economy or anything!
    • phillw
    • By phillw 10th May 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    phillw
    This is wrong, its the same electricity, same standing charges and she s paying so much more.
    It's the same electricity, but it was bought at different times. The customer service between companies is different etc. Switching to a fixed tariff is like going long on the stock market. Your argument is like saying that everyone who owns shares on a specific day should pay the same, even if one person bought theirs 20 years ago and one person yesterday. They are after all the same shares.

Vegetables are the same, but cost different amounts if you buy them in various supermarkets, or from market traders as well.

Even the hard bitten business minded Torys have had enough of the inequality..
    They haven't really. They are paying lip service to it as a vote buying tactic, because May is desperate for her hard brexit & ultimate power.

The trouble is it is a case of Hobson's Choice as to who will govern us until 2022
    Originally posted by footyguy
    That is what they want you to think. I quite like the idea of the lib dems letting us have a democratic vote over any deal made with the EU. People who are against this are undemocratic as they know that a lot of people were duped into voting to leave & are scared what will happen when the truth comes out.
    Last edited by phillw; 10-05-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    • picks
    • By picks 10th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    picks
    Like £350 miliuon / week extra to NHS will not happen
    That is what they want you to think. I quite like the idea of the lib dems letting us have a democratic vote over any deal made with the EU. People who are against this are undemocratic as they know that a lot of people were duped into voting to leave & are scared what will happen when the truth comes out.
    Originally posted by phillw
    Yep, like the £350/week extra pledged to be spent on the NHS. Theresa Thatcher, oops, I think I mean Margaret May (or is it May Thatcher?), has no intention of honouring that promise.
    Last edited by picks; 11-05-2017 at 6:39 AM.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 10th May 17, 6:42 PM
    • 10,831 Posts
    • 9,663 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Theresa May is talking absolute rubbish.

She has no business interfering in the Energy industry and the free market and further more she cant.

Way? Well a lot of our energy is now imported.

Did you know that there are at least two subsea pipelines between mainland Europe and the UK which are used for shipping gas in?

Did you know that we now import huge quantities of liquified natural gas to a terminal at the isle of Grain?

We also have electricity interconnectors to do the same.

Will foregin suppliers bend to Mays wishes and reduce prices?

No they wont so if she is to cap prices for standard rate tarriff customers then the bottom line is, she will make the rest of us pay for it.

If the Conservatives are so keen on interfering with the free market economy which they support, why dont they legislate for the cost of housing,cost of new builds, quality of builds, legislate against land banking and selling properties as freeholds etc??

That is a far more worthy cause.

Tory crooks.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 11th May 17, 7:52 AM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    lstar337
    If the Conservatives are so keen on interfering with the free market economy which they support, why dont they legislate for the cost of housing,cost of new builds, quality of builds, legislate against land banking and selling properties as freeholds etc??
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Because that might actually help people.

This 'cap' is just a headline grabbing token policy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

56Posts Today

2,141Users online

Martin's Twitter